5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

OPTIMAL Way To Have A Stillen Kit Installed?(Need Advice!)

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2002 | 12:17 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

OPTIMAL Way To Have A Stillen Kit Installed?(Need Advice!)

**Long as hell**

Alright, I finally said screw it and to hell with my fears of getting a kit due to the possible nightmares of getting it installed poorly. So, I need your guys advice on the BEST way to go about getting one of these installed the right way, the FIRST time. Cost is NOT really an issue only quality and I've even considered driving to Cali to let Stillen or BodyPros or someone who does all the SWEET installs on the mag cars do it, so it gets done right.

I've done the research a LONG LONG time ago to try and find out recomendations from local guys. I'm almost positive I've got a paint shop I'd trust could match my Icelandic Pearl, but the problem is they REFUSE to install it. They'll ONLY spray, no installs. However, I'm not really keen on the idea of letting them spray it while on the car due to the inevitable overspray.

So, my FIRST question is OPTION #1, can this be feasibly(sp?) installed after it's painted? I'm pretty sure the answer is NO, since it's so flexible it will probably crack and get all F'd up trying to rivet the thing to the car.

My OPTION #2 is to slowly and painlessly install this thing before I go to the paint shop BY MYSELF or is this out of the question? I figure if I use 3M tape and take it on/off a few HUNDRED times, I'll eventually get it how I like and then I can permanently rivet it to the car. Crazy? I believe this is why I see all the Honduhs riding around with unpainted kits.

Basically, I'm still hoping for some kind of miracle and I stumble upon some one here in Tucson/Phoenix who has had a Stillen kit installed PERFECTLY, but I'm doubting that's going to happen. I've got some time still though, since I'm going to be saving up more money for the costs.

So, basically my OPTIONS are:[list=1][*]Have it painted first, then have it installed at another shop who does body kit installs. Unlikely, since they'll be liable for screwing up the paint PLUS matching the kit withOUT the car is probably not going to happen.[*]Install it myself, then have it painted while ON THE CAR. Should match, but overspray will be inevitable.[*]Take my chances on Honduhs 'R Us Paint&Install for $99-$9999 to do the whole job.[*]Drive 5-6hrs. EACH way to BodyPros or equivalent in Cali.[*]None of the above, but you better have a suggestion. J/K![/list=1]
I'm leaning towards #2, but I'm going to be in for a learning experience with the rivet gun. Please help me out. Thanks!!
Old 09-17-2002 | 04:31 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Re: OPTIMAL Way To Have A Stillen Kit Installed?(Need Advice!)

Originally posted by IceY2K1
**Long as hell**
...So, basically my OPTIONS are:[list=1][*]Have it painted first, then have it installed at another shop who does body kit installs. Unlikely, since they'll be liable for screwing up the paint PLUS matching the kit withOUT the car is probably not going to happen.[*]Install it myself, then have it painted while ON THE CAR. Should match, but overspray will be inevitable.[*]Take my chances on Honduhs 'R Us Paint&Install for $99-$9999 to do the whole job.[*]Drive 5-6hrs. EACH way to BodyPros or equivalent in Cali.[*]None of the above, but you better have a suggestion. J/K![/list=1]
I'm leaning towards #2, but I'm going to be in for a learning experience with the rivet gun. Please help me out. Thanks!!
Well, if COST is no option, then I dont see why you dont take a week off, go to Cali and get it installed professionally.

Painting it while on the car with your color...hmmmmmmm I dunno. Sounds risky. Plus, 3m does not exactly go on, come off all that easily.

Thats my .02
Old 09-17-2002 | 05:33 AM

Re: Re: OPTIMAL Way To Have A Stillen Kit Installed?(Need Advice!)

Originally posted by Colonel

Well, if COST is no option, then I dont see why you dont take a week off, go to Cali and get it installed professionally.

Painting it while on the car with your color...hmmmmmmm I dunno. Sounds risky. Plus, 3m does not exactly go on, come off all that easily.

Thats my .02
1) you should take it to some-one that can paint it & install it.

2) you paint the kit first than you put it on.

3) the hardest part will be the sides because opening & closng the doors will hit.

i would look for a good painter that could spray it and not need to wet sand or buff the kit (very hard to find). this is what i did and it cost me about $475.

good luck
Old 09-17-2002 | 06:22 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

#1. They will need your gas cover if you want them to match your paint. After it's painted, you can install it and be as **** as you want.
Old 09-17-2002 | 08:38 AM

Re: OPTIMAL Way To Have A Stillen Kit Installed?(Need Advice!)

**Long as hell**

Alright, I finally said screw it and to hell with my fears of getting a kit due to the possible nightmares of getting it installed poorly. So, I need your guys advice on the BEST way to go about getting one of these installed the right way, the FIRST time. Cost is NOT really an issue only quality and I've even considered driving to Cali to let Stillen or BodyPros or someone who does all the SWEET installs on the mag cars do it, so it gets done right.

I've done the research a LONG LONG time ago to try and find out recomendations from local guys. I'm almost positive I've got a paint shop I'd trust could match my Icelandic Pearl, but the problem is they REFUSE to install it. They'll ONLY spray, no installs. However, I'm not really keen on the idea of letting them spray it while on the car due to the inevitable overspray.

So, my FIRST question is OPTION #1, can this be feasibly(sp?) installed after it's painted? I'm pretty sure the answer is NO, since it's so flexible it will probably crack and get all F'd up trying to rivet the thing to the car.

My OPTION #2 is to slowly and painlessly install this thing before I go to the paint shop BY MYSELF or is this out of the question? I figure if I use 3M tape and take it on/off a few HUNDRED times, I'll eventually get it how I like and then I can permanently rivet it to the car. Crazy? I believe this is why I see all the Honduhs riding around with unpainted kits.

Basically, I'm still hoping for some kind of miracle and I stumble upon some one here in Tucson/Phoenix who has had a Stillen kit installed PERFECTLY, but I'm doubting that's going to happen. I've got some time still though, since I'm going to be saving up more money for the costs.

So, basically my OPTIONS are:[list=1][*]Have it painted first, then have it installed at another shop who does body kit installs. Unlikely, since they'll be liable for screwing up the paint PLUS matching the kit withOUT the car is probably not going to happen.[*]Install it myself, then have it painted while ON THE CAR. Should match, but overspray will be inevitable.[*]Take my chances on Honduhs 'R Us Paint&Install for $99-$9999 to do the whole job.[*]Drive 5-6hrs. EACH way to BodyPros or equivalent in Cali.[*]None of the above, but you better have a suggestion. J/K![/list=1]
I installed the kit after having a body shop apply a quality paint job. Two guys could definitely do a qualtiy install on a Saturday afternoon with a little guidance and a few tips. I'd be willing to do a write-up in Word if you send me an email address or let me know if the one on your homepage is correct. Give me a day or two. Ray
Old 09-17-2002 | 09:47 AM

Thanks guys...

2maxguy(Ray) - Please send anything you can to help me out to alex_moir@yahoo.com. I'd like to know what I'm getting myself into ESPECIALLY from someone who's installed it themselves.

Y2KevSE(Kev) - So the kit flexing around while installing it won't cause the paint to crack? I was wondering how they were going to match it! Thanks.

97GLES - Why wouldn't you want to wet buff and sand the kit after it's painted? It's pretty rough now and it's going to take some prep work before the paint, is that typical?

Colonel(Jon) - You of all people should know that this year I don't have a week of vacation to chose myself, ie FORCED vacations. Hehe. I'm going to look into all my options and see what's best, before I bite the bullet and go to Cali. At least I'd get to stop by and visit with Kev. Maybe in Spring I'll have some vacation time to do what I wish.

Thanks again guys and I'll be asking more questions once I figure out my options.
Old 09-17-2002 | 09:56 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Re: Thanks guys...

Y2KevSE(Kev) - So the kit flexing around while installing it won't cause the paint to crack? I was wondering how they were going to match it! Thanks.
If they used a flex agent in your paint (which they should), then no, the paint will not crack during installation.

I'm going to look into all my options and see what's best, before I bite the bullet and go to Cali. At least I'd get to stop by and visit with Kev.
Oooooooooo...... I can make fun of you rice pedal in your face.
Old 09-17-2002 | 10:06 AM

Re: Re: Thanks guys...

Originally posted by Y2KevSE

Oooooooooo...... I can make fun of you rice pedal in your face. :
I'll even show you how to install yours.
Old 09-17-2002 | 10:08 AM

Oh yeah...

What kind of prep work does it take before the paint? Sanding? Primer?

I mean it's got rough spots, so should the shop take care of that or do I have to.
Old 09-17-2002 | 12:52 PM

2maxguy(Ray) - Please send anything you can to help me out to alex_moir@yahoo.com. I'd like to know what I'm getting myself into ESPECIALLY from someone who's installed it themselves.

97GLES - Why wouldn't you want to wet buff and sand the kit after it's painted? It's pretty rough now and it's going to take some prep work before the paint, is that typical?

Colonel(Jon) - You of all people should know that this year I don't have a week of vacation to chose myself, ie FORCED vacations. Hehe. I'm going to look into all my options and see what's best, before I bite the bullet and go to Cali. At least I'd get to stop by and visit with Kev. Maybe in Spring I'll have some vacation time to do what I wish.

Thanks again guys and I'll be asking more questions once I figure out my options.
i meant no wet sanding or buffing after paint job. this is how the best painters paint.
Old 09-17-2002 | 01:44 PM
Old Fuddy Duddy

[B...Colonel(Jon) - You of all people should know that this year I don't have a week of vacation to chose myself, ie FORCED vacations. Hehe. I'm going to look into all my options and see what's best, before I bite the bullet and go to Cali. At least I'd get to stop by and visit with Kev. Maybe in Spring I'll have some vacation time to do what I wish....[/B]
Yeah I know...we have not been forced to take vacations. But we have an impending head count reduction coming . Not good, no numbers, not dates..just coming. I have not spent SQUAT on my car in about 2-3 months. I splurged a bit to get the gauge ringes from Sy because I want to make sure I get a set.

Once the new year hits, I will be happy/safe for a while. 21 mills install should keep us busy for awhile!
Old 09-19-2002 | 08:20 AM

Install Write-up

At Alex's request, I've provided a link to my site where I've posted a write-up for the installation of the Stillen body kit for any who might be interested.
http://www.cardomain.com/member_page...=158868&page=7
Old 09-19-2002 | 09:25 AM

Re: Install Write-up

Originally posted by 2maxguy
At Alex's request, I've provided a link to my site where I've posted a write-up for the installation of the Stillen body kit for any who might be interested.
http://www.cardomain.com/member_page...=158868&page=7
Thanks again!

That was EXTREMELY useful to know what I'd be getting myself into.