5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

BMW 330 CI VS 2001 Maxima SE 20th Anniv ed

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2000, 07:34 AM
compu_squid

Hey folks I have a 4th gen '98 an am considering upgrading to a 2001 SE 20th anniverseray edition or a Bimmer 330CI. The 4th Gen has proven to be pretty nice, great engine, weak auto transmission, too much body roll fair handling. I fixed the handling with a FTSB and RSWB as well as new rubber so now it's pretty good. The auto transmission is not the best but the engine runs like a gem. I was looking at the 20th anniversery 5 spd since it is pretty much loaded to the hilt and has identical specs to the Bimmer 330 CI with the exception of the 0-60 and 1/4 mile ( I guess the bimmer has better gearing but it it not significantly faster on paper). Does anyone have a 20th Anniversery or the Bimmer 330 CI that could comment on their cars? The price differntial between the two is not ultra critical but I'd like to know what 8 k more gets you in a Bimmer other than a hood ornament?

Old 12-20-2000, 07:38 AM

As much as I like my Maxima, if youve got the dough, spring for the Beemer. Its in an entirely different league. Id have the new M3 if finances would allow
Old 12-20-2000, 07:56 AM

Love the max, but 330 would be my choice of the two.
Old 12-20-2000, 09:09 AM

If you can afford the $40K

go for it, My brother owns a 528i and I would trade my max in a heart beat, the 330i is the ultimate driving Machine. They are not supper fast but they will make you smile every time you take a corner

I bought the Maxima because it's an affordable, fast, sedan that once modified is a great car.
Old 12-20-2000, 09:14 AM
Banned

I bought a '01 Anniversary and love it. I did look at BMW because the price was close but then I looked into servicing
both, price and how often. The Nissan is basically fluids and belts till 100,000 miles. Direct coil ignition, double platinum tip plugs and time chains that all make this a maintaince free car. BMW is another story so drive both and
talk to the service departments.
Old 12-20-2000, 09:48 AM
compu_squid

Thanks Dudes. One of the dudes where I work has a 330 CI and loves it for the handling as well. When I check out the specs though the Max Se has .80 on the skidpad and the Bimmer has .83 which while somewhat noticeable should'nt be like night and day. Jeff do you have the stick in that A.E. also how would you compare the ride to a stock SE? is the AE the same thing but loaded to the gills? From what I read the AE has a limited slip diff does that even come into play? As for the service I'm looking into a lease so I'll toss the keys back at the dealer before the warranty is up (and then get a new toy) so long term maintenance will not be an issue.

Old 12-20-2000, 10:10 AM
KahunaCanuck

Both are great cars, but you can't compare them purely on test numbers. The difference between front & rear wheel drive alone is night and day. Not to mention the steering feel. The BMW is the superior car IMHO, but the Max is the best value for the money. If you can spring for either, drive them both...that's the key.

Old 12-20-2000, 10:14 AM

May I suggest an Audi S4? (I love those cars!)
Old 12-20-2000, 10:16 AM
Banned

Thanks Dudes. One of the dudes where I work has a 330 CI and loves it for the handling as well. When I check out the specs though the Max Se has .80 on the skidpad and the Bimmer has .83 which while somewhat noticeable should'nt be like night and day.

I did add a front strut bar and rear sway bar to better the cornering.

>>Jeff do you have the stick in that A.E.?

Hell yes!

>>Also how would you compare the ride to a stock SE?
is the AE the same thing but loaded to the gills?

The ride is the same.

>>From what I read the AE has a limited slip diff does that even come into play?

Limited slip is great for wet traction and drag racing(red lights). Limited was a bonus because after I drove the car I had to have it. <B>IF</B> I decide to drag race again it will come in handy.

[Edited by Jeff K on 12-20-2000 at 12:27 PM]
Old 12-20-2000, 10:23 AM

Originally posted by Jeff K

When Porterfiled gets off the a$# and makes brake pads for the car that will change.

[/I]
Brake pads and cornering?????
Old 12-20-2000, 10:29 AM
Banned

Originally posted by madmax2k
Originally posted by Jeff K

When Porterfiled gets off the a$# and makes brake pads for the car that will change.
Brake pads and cornering????? [/I]
I had to different messages going, I fixed the original message.
Old 12-20-2000, 11:26 AM
JimW

Personally I say buy the 5th Gen--->

Originally posted by compu_squid
Hey folks I have a 4th gen '98 an am considering upgrading to a 2001 SE 20th anniverseray edition or a Bimmer 330CI. The 4th Gen has proven to be pretty nice, great engine, weak auto transmission, too much body roll fair handling. I fixed the handling with a FTSB and RSWB as well as new rubber so now it's pretty good. The auto transmission is not the best but the engine runs like a gem. I was looking at the 20th anniversery 5 spd since it is pretty much loaded to the hilt and has identical specs to the Bimmer 330 CI with the exception of the 0-60 and 1/4 mile ( I guess the bimmer has better gearing but it it not significantly faster on paper). Does anyone have a 20th Anniversery or the Bimmer 330 CI that could comment on their cars? The price differntial between the two is not ultra critical but I'd like to know what 8 k more gets you in a Bimmer other than a hood ornament?

The Bimmer has better quality of build, and may perform better (acceleration, handling and braking) but some well spent money could make all the difference. A Y pipe on an stock exhaust will help even things out a bit. Some bigger brakes will help tremendously. Then add a RSB for better handling. For under $1k you've got a BMW killer.
Now the biggest reason I say to stick with the 5th Gen. Size. The 3 series Bimmer is a compact car. No getting around that. I have a cousin with a '99 328. Wonderful car, just way too damn small. No usable back seat if you have anyone over 5'8" in front. The 5th Gen is a midsize car, with over 12 cu ft more interior volume to it. You can carry 4 adults comfortably in the Max, NOT in the 3 series.

Old 12-20-2000, 11:49 AM
zsteve

I agree with PunkDork and Jim W - If you're looking to spend $40K, I'd look at the Audi S4. They've got 250 hp out of a 2.7 twin turbo V6. Audi literature states 0-60 mph in 5.9 sec for the 6 spd., though most magazine tests have done better than that. Standard AWD, Xenon headlights, free scheduled maintenance for 50K miles, etc..., I believe a better car for just a little more $ than the BMW. However, as Jim W stated, the Audi and the BMW are smaller cars, especially in rear seat legroom. If you have kids, or frequently travel with other people, the Max definitely has more room. I bought an A.E. in September and I love it. My first choice was the Audi S4, but I just couldn't bring myself to spend that much money. The A.E. has turned out to be a fitting substitute.

Old 12-20-2000, 12:33 PM
Keven97SE

There's a whole lot more to handling than just skidpad numbers. You could stick some ultra-wide tires on just about any car and get 0.90 or more. Handling implies things like good balance (no tendency to understeer or oversteer), good turn-in (responds quickly...like the car is part of your brain, think where you want to go and the car is there), stability (no squirmyness). BMW 3-series have all those good handling attributes. Even if the Maxima matched the 330 with a better tire package, it still wouldn't handle like it.

Originally posted by compu_squid
Thanks Dudes. One of the dudes where I work has a 330 CI and loves it for the handling as well. When I check out the specs though the Max Se has .80 on the skidpad and the Bimmer has .83 which while somewhat noticeable should'nt be like night and day. Jeff do you have the stick in that A.E. also how would you compare the ride to a stock SE? is the AE the same thing but loaded to the gills? From what I read the AE has a limited slip diff does that even come into play? As for the service I'm looking into a lease so I'll toss the keys back at the dealer before the warranty is up (and then get a new toy) so long term maintenance will not be an issue.

Old 12-20-2000, 12:34 PM
compu_squid

Yeah I really got to take these things out for a spin. I would really like to a roadster (like a Z3 or TT) but the cargo space is non existent (would like to maybe haul a few bags of groceries occasionally. As for kids or passengers don't have the former and to he_l with the latter. Ideally I want a car ~40k or less that will handle and brake excellent, be nice looking, have sub 7 0-60 times. I'm considering the S4 too since it is a stealthy rocket from what I read. Just that car is really tiny and extremely bland looking. The bimmer at least has some style and it's a coupe to boot!. The Lexus IS supposedly has great handling but no moxy (or a stick) and the Acura CL Type S has a lot of power but crappy 0-60 times and it's soft handling wise. I don't want to mod out a car as I'm going to be leasing it so I'd like something out of the box cool.

Old 12-20-2000, 12:57 PM
zsteve

You may have just answered your own question. The other 2 cars you mentioned (Acura CL-S and Lexus IS 300) would be the other 2 I would've suggested looking at, but you gave good reasons for ruling them out. One other thing you may want to consider is the FWD vs RWD issue. I live in Minnesota, and we've gotten over 6" of snow in the last few days, and I'm glad I've got FWD. Even with traction control, RWD just isn't as good in the snow as FWD. The BMW 3 series' are good looking cars. If the extra money and smaller back seat are really not problems, I'd definitely go for the BMW.

Old 12-20-2000, 01:00 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

330is....

Originally posted by zsteve
You may have just answered your own question. The other 2 cars you mentioned (Acura CL-S and Lexus IS 300) would be the other 2 I would've suggested looking at, but you gave good reasons for ruling them out. One other thing you may want to consider is the FWD vs RWD issue. I live in Minnesota, and we've gotten over 6" of snow in the last few days, and I'm glad I've got FWD. Even with traction control, RWD just isn't as good in the snow as FWD. The BMW 3 series' are good looking cars. If the extra money and smaller back seat are really not problems, I'd definitely go for the BMW.
if i had the green...i would go for the BMWs and nothing else...just the cold and harsh reality settling in for me now...
=(

well, if you are one of those lucky bastards....then go for the BMW!!!

-peace
Old 12-20-2000, 01:17 PM

Originally posted by punkdork
I agree with PunkDork, for 40 grand, you can get nearly new S4 and that's one european sporty & classy ultimate machine, all wheel drive & turbo, can't get any better, I think its worth that money
Old 12-20-2000, 03:23 PM

compu_squid...the max se has a .85 skidpad (gxe/gle has .80) and the bimmer has a .83...this is just what i've read
Old 12-20-2000, 03:29 PM

Originally posted by punkdork
I Agree with you the S4 Rocks!
Old 12-20-2000, 07:39 PM

MrBurner

Where did you get those specs? Just got done reading Motortrend and they have on the back page all the cars they tested in the last few years. SE=.82g's ( 16" rims though so I'd bet that the 17" would get better ) and GXE=.81g's..
BTW anyone know of any Maxima Modifying magazines?

Just curious dude
Peace,

Old 12-21-2000, 01:35 AM

i don't remember which mag....but that is the skidpad for a stock se w/ 17s...once you add eibachs, that goes up about .1-.2 and when you add tokicos it goes up about another .1...after struts, sways, and new tires (nittos or toyo proxies t1-s), we can have roughly a .92+ skidpad and for a 4 door, that is f*cking amazing...i honestly don't remember what mag that was but i have seen the #s you are talking about (with the 16s of course)....85 is the best stock skidpad i've seen for it and that was with the stock 17s
Old 12-21-2000, 07:01 AM

hey... with $40k, your more than halfway to the M5... :-)

Just a thought...

-Tom

PS. I have no doubt in my mind that BMW makes some of the best driving machines out there.... But, the Maxima is an awesome car for the money...

Given the choice between a BMW and a Maxima, I would definitely take the BMW, sell it, and buy myself a maxima (and pocket the change!!)

Originally posted by MrBurner
i don't remember which mag....but that is the skidpad for a stock se w/ 17s...once you add eibachs, that goes up about .1-.2 and when you add tokicos it goes up about another .1...after struts, sways, and new tires (nittos or toyo proxies t1-s), we can have roughly a .92+ skidpad and for a 4 door, that is f*cking amazing...i honestly don't remember what mag that was but i have seen the #s you are talking about (with the 16s of course)....85 is the best stock skidpad i've seen for it and that was with the stock 17s
Old 12-21-2000, 08:13 AM

Originally posted by tomz17

Just a thought...

-Tom

Given the choice between a BMW and a Maxima, I would definitely take the BMW, sell it, and buy myself a maxima (and pocket the change!!)

Uhhh! I think that we are assuming the cars have to be paid for, not free why sell the BMW.... just a thought.
Old 12-21-2000, 09:24 AM

Oh.. i was just supposing that money was not at issue.. but rather the merit of the car..

(ie.. a hypotehtical situation where Bill Gates walks up, and says "Tom, let me buy you a car", in fact, you can jump into that BMW standing over there, or that 2001 Nissan Maxima... you can only take 1 .... the car I choose would be a no brainer, not only because the BMW has a higher market value, but because there seems to be a consensus that it's simply a better car!!!)

-Tom

Originally posted by Maxx-s-ter
Originally posted by tomz17

Just a thought...

-Tom

Uhhh! I think that we are assuming the cars have to be paid for, not free why sell the BMW.... just a thought.