5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Why Nissan N.A. is a POS company

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2002, 09:23 PM

Why Nissan N.A. is a POS company

Nissan N.A. is a POS company, they seem to care nothing about taking care of us, their customers. I guess they seem to forget how it is that they pay their bills. My CD player in my Bose system went out yesterday, KAPUM, D.O.A, does not work. Called my dealership, didn't think it would be a problem, they had to replace it twice last year, that is because it was literally scratching(yes actually scratching the surface) my cd's. I was notified that since my car had exceeded the 36K warranty, it would not be covered. When it was replaced I was quoted a twelve month warranty, of course it was a lie, what else is new? Figure I'd call 1-800-NISSAN and solve the problem. Could not get through, after numerous attempts to contact someone at Nissan, was finally directed to 1-800-647-7261, spoke to a frigging moron by the name of Ken Carter, this dude has no clue of customer service whatsoever. He starts out by asking me if I get my car serviced at Nissan dealerships, how many Nissans have I owned, or are in my family, and did i buy it new or used, all kinds of moronic questions if you get my drift. I tell the jerk that this is my first and last Nissan, no I don't go to Nissan dealerships for their oil changes and I bought it used. The S.O.B. goes on to tell me that my CD player will not be replaced, Nissan is only concerned about taking care of car owners that bought their car new, those that get their car serviced at the delerships, and return Nissan customers. Obviously I don't meet any of those categories according to him. I just told the b%@stard that I'm not going to buy another Nissan, god I'm not even entirely happy with the one I'm currently paying on. I tell him that I, as well as lots of org members have had problem with faulty rotors(which I spent $400+ replacing), trashy windshield(will pay $250 deductible to replace including my car insurance), crappy paint(the worse is my front bumper, it has been repainted once but it looks like trash and will cost $3-400 to repaint if I ever want to sell the car. I also tell him that I've owned Hondas, Fords, GM's, Dodge cars and that I've never ever had this kind of problems with a car. He tells me no can't do can't help you, you're out of warranty, and since you will not be a return customer, I'm making a business decision of not taking care of you, that would be throwing our $$$ away. I then proceed to ask the POS for his supervisors name and he tells me he is the man when it comes to customer service. He is the man and if I decide to proceed any further with my claim, he'll make sure that I'm not taken care of. The only other ph # that he gives me is 310-532-3111, and tells me that that is the # to the executive offices and that the only man above him is Carlos Cohn in Japan, he can't give me his ph #, all that I can do is write letters and that no one will help me. I call the # that he gives me and all that you can do is leave a message, that is only if you've already gone through the regular customer service route. At this point I doubt if I will hear from them, but I'll tell everyone that I can my story and maybe this will help others not repeat my mistake. Nissan N.A. does not care about the consumer, if you have any problems and can get them resolved let us know, you just might be the lucky one. Sorry for the long post, I do hope that this helps anyone thinking about buying another Nissan to think about it, and think about it twice, and maybe make a wiser choice. I for one, had visited my local Infiniti dealership and had hoped to order a G35 Coupe this fall, I will never return to their dealerships, other than to buy parts, until I sell my car, no later than next Summer.
Old 09-24-2002, 09:33 PM
It's chrome alright...

not to bash you because you were treated unfairly, but did you only try one dealership? Different dealerships play by different rules and the one you went to sounds like they're b@astards. Not that you should *have* to, but going to a different dealership probably would have produced a completely different outcome.
Old 09-24-2002, 09:39 PM

Originally posted by 2k2wannabe
not to bash you because you were treated unfairly, but did you only try one dealership? Different dealerships play by different rules and the one you went to sounds like they're b@astards. Not that you should *have* to, but going to a different dealership probably would have produced a completely different outcome.
You're not bashing, that is what this board is here for. I actually bought my car at a delership in Ricahardson, had my CD player replaced there and had a heck of a time trying to have anything done, and then had it replaced a different dealership. At the first delership(where I bought my car), after lots of fighting they turned my front rotors when I had the brake judder problem. I hate to bash anyone but, I have even had problems ordering parts from any of the parts departments at various Nissan dealerships. They really do not seem to care about customer satisfaction or retenion. Thanx for the suggestion anyway.
Old 09-24-2002, 09:47 PM
It's chrome alright...

I've dealt with two different dealers near me (southern New Hampshire and Northern Massachusetts) and both have been very good. I actually did deal with a third for about 10 minutes and got the kind of attitude you're talking about, so I hung up and moved on. I'm lucky in that there are about 4 dealers within 30 minutes of me, though.

If I were you, I'd take it to another dealer. Go in and ask to talk to the service manager. Make sure you're face-to-face, not on the phone, and explain about the bad radio and ask if he'll replace it. I find I get much better results if I am talking face-to-face. It's too easy to turn someone down on the phone and move on. If you're there talking to him it's much more difficult to say no.

Good luck getting your stuff fixed. Let us know what happens.

Originally posted by rubman

You're not bashing, that is what this board is here for. I actually bought my car at a delership in Ricahardson, had my CD player replaced there and had a heck of a time trying to have anything done, and then had it replaced a different dealership. At the first delership(where I bought my car), after lots of fighting they turned my front rotors when I had the brake judder problem. I hate to bash anyone but, I have even had problems ordering parts from any of the parts departments at various Nissan dealerships. They really do not seem to care about customer satisfaction or retenion. Thanx for the suggestion anyway.
Old 09-24-2002, 10:01 PM
Very sound, Mike

I wouldn't necessarily go as far as calling the entire company POS. I feel for you and your bad experiences with them, but me OTOH have nothing but good things to say AFAIC.

Nissan is just like any other company in the world, it's a hit or miss situation. Sometimes you get through to the real people, other times you're stuck with getting in touch with only the crazier one's.

Since your vehicle's warranty already expired you really can't complain much at this point for something like the Radio busting out again. You did mention the last unit would be covered for 12 months, however if you didn't get this in writing don't count on it being true.

If it bothers you that much, you still have the chance and choice to get extended warranty elsewhere that will hopefully cover something like this.
Old 09-24-2002, 10:02 PM

Originally posted by 2k2wannabe
I've dealt with two different dealers near me (southern New Hampshire and Northern Massachusetts) and both have been very good. I actually did deal with a third for about 10 minutes and got the kind of attitude you're talking about, so I hung up and moved on. I'm lucky in that there are about 4 dealers within 30 minutes of me, though.

If I were you, I'd take it to another dealer. Go in and ask to talk to the service manager. Make sure you're face-to-face, not on the phone, and explain about the bad radio and ask if he'll replace it. I find I get much better results if I am talking face-to-face. It's too easy to turn someone down on the phone and move on. If you're there talking to him it's much more difficult to say no.

Good luck getting your stuff fixed. Let us know what happens.

Now after dealing with folks that have type of attitude towards their customers, can any of you think why we would be motivated to drop $25K+ on a 2K3 SE, or $35K on a G35 Coupe? Hello, Nissan, I think as soon as I can upgrade I will, and you won't receive another cent of my money.
Old 09-24-2002, 10:03 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

A couple of things, the customer service guy was probably messing with you in response to your attitude or maybe he's just a jerk, but I'm sure if you called again and talked to someone else and be polite and prepared, you'd get a better response. Maybe tell them this is your third Nissan and that you love their cars and plan to buy another one soon. I've done customer service support and if the caller is a jerk, most often I'd be all nice and stuff on the phone, then not even process their request once I hung up. Or sometimes I'd be condescending and insult the customer on the line, if they start with the bad attitude. Most of those call centers don't monitor calls, so you can get away with it.

Other things to consider, how old are you? If you're a teenager, get an adult to call them. Otherwise, just call again and maybe you'll get someone who cares.
Old 09-24-2002, 10:05 PM

Originally posted by soundmike
I wouldn't necessarily go as far as calling the entire company POS. I feel for you and your bad experiences with them, but me OTOH have nothing but good things to say AFAIC.

Nissan is just like any other company in the world, it's a hit or miss situation. Sometimes you get through to the real people, other times you're stuck with getting in touch with only the crazier one's.

Since your vehicle's warranty already expired you really can't complain much at this point for something like the Radio busting out again. You did mention the last unit would be covered for 12 months, however if you didn't get this in writing don't count on it being true.

If it bothers you that much, you still have the chance and choice to get extended warranty elsewhere that will hopefully cover something like this.
The car might be out of warranty, but the car was manufacured May 200, barely two and a half years old. Now, how can anyone quantify a warranty on an electronic part, based on mileage? People need to know how they will be treated if they have any complaints.
Old 09-24-2002, 10:06 PM
Very sound, Mike

rubman is in his mid-30's

True to what Tan said, tone of voice goes a long way when it comes to customer service. A lot of these people deal with hundreds of support issues day in and day out and though you think you're the most important person in the world when you call them up in the end you're still talking to a human being, a human being that gets burned out sooner or later and starts becoming... well, human.
Old 09-24-2002, 10:09 PM

Originally posted by Tanman
A couple of things, the customer service guy was probably messing with you in response to your attitude or maybe he's just a jerk, but I'm sure if you called again and talked to someone else and be polite and prepared, you'd get a better response. Maybe tell them this is your third Nissan and that you love their cars and plan to buy another one soon. I've done customer service support and if the caller is a jerk, most often I'd be all nice and stuff on the phone, then not even process their request once I hung up. Or sometimes I'd be condescending and insult the customer on the line, if they start with the bad attitude. Most of those call centers don't monitor calls, so you can get away with it.

Other things to consider, how old are you? If you're a teenager, get an adult to call them. Otherwise, just call again and maybe you'll get someone who cares.
I hear what you're saying TANMAN but, I'm in my thirties and he did say that he is the regional manager for Nissan customer service. I think I'm SOL, I'll probably have to replace the headunit with aftermarket. Oh well, might as well save for the costly installation.
Very sound, Mike

Now, how can anyone quantify a warranty on an electronic part, based on mileage? People need to know how they will be treated if they have any complaints.
That's the rule of the game, you either play it or you don't. Hopefully you'll find a considerate enough dealer to help you out.

On a slightly philosophical note, if i had the same attitude you have now towards every other company that dealt with me as a customer badly i'd probably have nowhere to go since they're all "POS".

Think about it

Originally posted by soundmike
rubman is in his mid-30's

True to what Tan said, tone of voice goes a long way when it comes to customer service. A lot of these people deal with hundreds of support issues day in and day out and though you think you're the most important person in the world when you call them up in the end you're still talking to a human being, a human being that gets burned out sooner or later and starts becoming... well, human.
Yep, and these guys are low-paid and have no authority. So they don't appreciate being dumped on by every upset caller. Just try calling again, maybe you'll get the new nervous guy who doesn't want to upset any customers .

Hey Mike!
The silent but deadly Moderator

Man, it sounds like the janitor picked up the phone and was just f'n with you.. thats bizarre. I would wager that if you called back, your conversation isnt in their computers.. and they are ALWAYS noted. If he was stupid enough to make a note in your file, then you can lodge a complaint with him through the regular number.
Old 09-24-2002, 10:11 PM
Very sound, Mike

he did say that he is the regional manager for Nissan customer service. I think I'm SOL, I'll probably have to replace the headunit with aftermarket. Oh well, might as well save for the costly installation.
Don't consider yourself licked yet. I'll bet that guy wasn't the Regional Manager. Some CS reps do this to stay out of trouble.

Now as far as aftermarket goes, you might as well go that route. All the problems you've had with your HU is probably a sign anyway
Old 09-24-2002, 10:13 PM
Very sound, Mike

Hey Mike!
Old 09-24-2002, 10:13 PM

Originally posted by TimW
Man, it sounds like the janitor picked up the phone and was just f'n with you.. thats bizarre. I would wager that if you called back, your conversation isnt in their computers.. and they are ALWAYS noted. If he was stupid enough to make a note in your file, then you can lodge a complaint with him through the regular number.
That might be my best bet because, all kidding aside, I do like my car, but I'm not ready to drop $1-2K on an entirely new car stereo system. That's aprximately what I would have to pay to replace all components with a good sound system and an amp. YIKES
Old 09-24-2002, 10:18 PM

That might be my best bet because, all kidding aside, I do like my car, but I'm not ready to drop $1-2K on an entirely new car stereo system. That's aprximately what I would have to pay to replace all components with a good sound system and an amp. YIKES
Nah, go eBay and you can get everything for well under $1K

$250 HU
$200 front\rear speakers
$100 box and subwoofer
$200 amp

Honestly all you really need to replace is the HU and maybe the speakers. You can go cheap and get three-way speakers so you don't need a sub. Most HUs provide around 50-watts power per speaker, so you don't really need and amp either. If you do get an amp, get a 5-way to power all speakers and the sub.

It might be easier than trying to get the stock one replaced by Nissan. It's a POS anyways.
Old 09-24-2002, 10:22 PM

Nah, go eBay and you can get everything for well under $1K

$250 HU
$200 front\rear speakers
$100 box and subwoofer
$200 amp

Honestly all you really need to replace is the HU and maybe the speakers. You can go cheap and get three-way speakers so you don't need a sub. Most HUs provide around 50-watts power per speaker, so you don't really need and amp either. If you do get an amp, get a 5-way to power all speakers and the sub.

It might be easier than trying to get the stock one replaced by Nissan. It's a POS anyways.
Thanx for all of the help and constuctive criticism. I think I might just be significantly better off going aftermarket. I have a set of 6.5 pro series Boston Acoustic components. They were about $500, that is a start and should be much better than what the car has in it already.
Old 09-24-2002, 10:25 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

nissan dealer "promised" me, the new hu would come in within 6 weeks. On the 7th week, I went to the dealer, they couldn't find the order. I called up Nissan NA, they said it'll be here in two weeks. This friday will be the end of two weeks........i don't think its coming
btw, my car isn't even a yr old yet
Old 09-24-2002, 10:27 PM

Originally posted by BioMaxDDS
nissan dealer "promised" me, the new hu would come in within 6 weeks. On the 7th week, I went to the dealer, they couldn't find the order. I called up Nissan NA, they said it'll be here in two weeks. This friday will be the end of two weeks........i don't think its coming
btw, my car isn't even a yr old yet
Guess I've got nothing to complain about. They're not even promising to get me anoter HU. Ouch, I feel your pain. Don't really know how much I would b@tch if my car was less than one year old.
Old 09-24-2002, 10:44 PM

Guess I've got nothing to complain about. They're not even promising to get me anoter HU. Ouch, I feel your pain. Don't really know how much I would b@tch if my car was less than one year old.
o, i had also had
1. pay for fixing rotor
2. wait 2 months for sunroof motor to come in
3. MAF sensor replaced
4. tsb on hood vibration
5. recall on stopper
6. ABS light went off
yup....all within less than a yr
its my first Nissan......might also be my last
Old 09-24-2002, 10:50 PM

o, i had also had
1. pay for fixing rotor
2. wait 2 months for sunroof motor to come in
3. MAF sensor replaced
4. tsb on hood vibration
5. recall on stopper
6. ABS light went off
yup....all within less than a yr
its my first Nissan......might also be my last
If you add up all of those expenses, does the car seem like such a great bang for the buck? My guess is not. Brakes(rotors and pads)$3-400, front bumper repaint($300+), windshield ($250 deductible). Just those items are $1300(roughly), now if I'd gotten brakes done at the dealership, I'd be looking at $1K on brakes alone. That's several thousand $$$ worth of repairs for me on a two year old car. I really think that no matter how fun that VQ30 is, I won't be back for seconds, but that's just me.
Old 09-24-2002, 10:52 PM

If you add up all of those expenses, does the car seem like such a great bang for the buck? My guess is not. Brakes(rotors and pads)$3-400, front bumper repaint($300+), windshield ($250 deductible). Just those items are $1300(roughly), now if I'd gotten brakes done at the dealership, I'd be looking at $1K on brakes alone. That's several thousand $$$ worth of repairs for me on a two year old car. I really think that no matter how fun that VQ30 is, I won't be back for seconds, but that's just me.
o ya....i forgot to add the windshield crack i had when the car is only two weeks old
Old 09-24-2002, 10:55 PM

o ya....i forgot to add the windshield crack i had when the car is only two weeks old
Methinks you've got me beat hands down. And to think that I've been eyeing those Sheer Silver 2K3 SE TE's at the dealership. Better start saving up for a big down payment(and I do mean biggg) on a 330CI next Spring, Summer at the latest.
Old 09-25-2002, 07:21 AM

one thing that I really love is how they change policy all the time. I had one issue regarding my rental car coverage. Dealer said the car had to be in overnight to get a rental car. So I called NNA, they said "whatever the dealer said"

So, I said "no, I'm calling you because that isnt right"
NNA: "no, sir.. thats our new policy... "
ME: "yeah, well I have a Nissan Gold warranty that started before that policy"
NNA:"doesnt matter sir, thats what we have been instructed to do. Besides, you must have misread your warranty. I have the booklet here and it says overnight"

ME: "oh... really... I have mine and it says ANY repair over 30 mins"
NNA: "no... cant say we can do that"
ME: "I have it in writing and I intend to hold you to it"
NNA: "Our reps cant do that, its not what we have been given here"
ME: "I suggest you find a warranty booklet from a 2000 car, then we can finish our discussion.. and yes I'll wait"

*10 mins pass*

NNA: "sir we cant find that book"
ME: "I will just wait on hold til you do"

5 mins pass

NNA: "ok.. we have one.. now what was the original question"
ME: *I gotta laugh here*

ME: "Now read the section to me on rental coverage"

NNA: "lets see.. if the car is in for 30 mins or... oh... oh well... hmmm... sorry we were instructed to tell you and the dealer that. you are obviously covered. sorry.. we will cover your car"

man, what mess...
Old 09-25-2002, 01:05 PM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

wow...all that and you didn't accidentally get disconnected.

I'm impressed!
Old 09-25-2002, 02:57 PM

Just got a call from Nissan executive offices and talked to a woman that supposedly was following-up to help me. She asked what was the problem, I startes to go into detail and the b@tch already had my file. She advised me that the car was out of warranty and that they did not make the stereo. Thena she mentioned that she had pn file there that I told that *** Ken Carter yesterday that I would not buy another Nissan car. I then told her that my family had owned more than one Nissan car( actually that is true, three to this day), I mentioned that I was po'd at the time because of their response and lack of cooperation on the case. The skank suggested that I take the car to a dealership to get it checked out. I asked that if it was out of warranty, why would I bother to do that? She suggested that at least I would be aware of what the acutual problem really was. The nerve of this ***** to try and still squeeze more money out of me after they screwed me with a $23K+ car. Guys, this is the true Nissan N.A. That is what we mean to them as consumers. I'm sure I'll replace that HU with aftermarket, but at this point not only will I NEVER buy Nissan again, I vow to work hard to sway all my friends and anyone I care about, to never buy Nissan gain. F$@ck Nissan N.A. Too many defects from a potentially great car.
Old 09-25-2002, 03:02 PM

I think that cars have a specific warranty regardles of brand. If it's 36k miles and 36 months then it's whichever comes first. If you drive 36k miles in 1 year then that's it. Extended warranty is same - mileage or months, whichever comes first. If the car is out of warranty then that's it. Possibly negotiate with dealer for help - his discretion. What would be your warranty on an aftermarket unit? If it's out of warranty, good luck. I feel for you. Sounds like you got hold of a jerk. Most of the time you get what you give imo. My dealer/SM has been great so far. Get rid of the Max and get something that'll treat you better. My two cents ...
Old 09-25-2002, 03:05 PM

errr, I'm kinda interested in your dead stereo for a stealth project.

I know, you know there are ways to tell us 'no' without making us hate all things NNA. I mean, cripes, they are paid/trained to deal with angry customers and find some resolution. What tools do they have to actually rectify ANY problem?

I still dont get too mad at them directly. Even when I'm really pi$$ed at them, I try to keep reiterating that. This crap starts at the top. You arent going to get help from their boss, their boss *told* them to treat you that way. I'm sure they are commended for holding down costs. Like doctors and HMOs...
Old 09-25-2002, 03:13 PM

Originally posted by TimW
errr, I'm kinda interested in your dead stereo for a stealth project.

I know, you know there are ways to tell us 'no' without making us hate all things NNA. I mean, cripes, they are paid/trained to deal with angry customers and find some resolution. What tools do they have to actually rectify ANY problem?

I still dont get too mad at them directly. Even when I'm really pi$$ed at them, I try to keep reiterating that. This crap starts at the top. You arent going to get help from their boss, their boss *told* them to treat you that way. I'm sure they are commended for holding down costs. Like doctors and HMOs...
I'm in the insurance business, part of what I do on a daily basis is called field underwriting. It's our job to cut costs and to mostly give the actual underwriters clean apps. It's also our job to work on customer retention. This people don't seem to make customer retention happen as a result of good customer service. Trust me, a cheap quality mass-produced Audiovox hu like the one on our Maxes does not cost them that much. Had a 1990 Mustang GT with a premier sound system ten years ago, takled to a tech that stated that those hgh quality speakers, cost for three and a half cents, yes you heard it right, they did not even pay a nickel per speaker. I was seriously considering a G35 Coupe or a 2K3 SE TE, now there is no chance in hell I'll even test drive one.
Old 09-25-2002, 03:22 PM
I'm needing a caw

What are your choices now? I've seen/read bad customer service experiences from almost every manufacturer, even Lexus. So what brand are you considering in your price range that you think will lead you to better service?

I was seriously considering a G35 Coupe or a 2K3 SE TE, now there is no chance in hell I'll even test drive one.
Old 09-25-2002, 03:29 PM

I agree, the cost of customer aquisition is $$$$. And the maxima is the last logical step before the Infiniti line. They are crazy to do this stuff to us. There is no amount of slick advertising that will make up for their free fall in customer service.

A customer remembers a good experience for like a year but remembers and recounts a bad one frequently to peers for up to 20 years. Not smart at all...
Old 09-25-2002, 03:35 PM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
What are your choices now? I've seen/read bad customer service experiences from almost every manufacturer, even Lexus. So what brand are you considering in your price range that you think will lead you to better service?

My next logical step would be a 330CI, about $6-7K more than what I would pay for a G35, but from what I have seen and heard about people that own them, the local dealerships around here do provide customer service and satisfaction. If you read a couple of the other quotes on this thread, I have spent and am still going to have to spend(as wll as other org members have spent) thousands of dollars rectifying the cars QC problems. One thing is for sure, still love to hear the sound of that VQ30, even at only 70 MPH.
Old 09-25-2002, 03:39 PM
Very sound, Mike

My next logical step would be a 330CI, about $6-7K more than what
If you do decide on it, try getting it through that program BMW has where you actually pick up your ride from the factory in Germany. Even with airfare factored in you'll still save several thousand dollars less than if you were to get it locally.