5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Grinding Noise While Driving In Reverse From Stillen FSTB

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2002, 04:45 PM

Grinding Noise While Driving In Reverse From Stillen FSTB

I have had a gringing/rattle noise coming from the engine everytime I drive in reverse for a couple of months now. It wasn't until another .org member emailed me (Gregory) that I realized that the noise was coming from the bottom of the FSTB hitting the top of the engine. He actually emailed me and asked if I had the problem and what to do to fix it. He said he called Stillen and they said they never heard of this happening in any other 2002+ Maxima before. Has anyone else had this problem with the Stillen FSTB getting in the way of the engine while driving in reverse? If so, what did you do to fix it? If not, what do you suggest. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

P.S. Gregory, if you are reading this, I wasn't able to email you back because it said something about your email not being able to receive SPAM emails. I don't know why it thought I was SPAM but I don't want you to think I was ignoring you.
Old 09-30-2002, 05:43 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Grinding Noise While Driving In Reverse From Stillen FSTB

Originally posted by pmas76
I have had a gringing/rattle noise coming from the engine everytime I drive in reverse for a couple of months now. It wasn't until another .org member emailed me (Gregory) that I realized that the noise was coming from the bottom of the FSTB hitting the top of the engine. He actually emailed me and asked if I had the problem and what to do to fix it. He said he called Stillen and they said they never heard of this happening in any other 2002+ Maxima before. Has anyone else had this problem with the Stillen FSTB getting in the way of the engine while driving in reverse? If so, what did you do to fix it? If not, what do you suggest. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

P.S. Gregory, if you are reading this, I wasn't able to email you back because it said something about your email not being able to receive SPAM emails. I don't know why it thought I was SPAM but I don't want you to think I was ignoring you.
dang....that sux.....

I don't have any problems with my $23 ebay FSTB....hehehehehehehe

how much didja pay for that stillen bar

yep....I gots to rub it in.....
your car still rocks!!
Old 09-30-2002, 05:52 PM

You might want to check your motor mounts and make sure the bolts on them are tight and that they don't look damaged or what not.

Good luck.
Old 09-30-2002, 06:08 PM

I have the generic one from custommaxima.com that I got like 2 years ago. I have the same problem as well when I hit reverse. I just left it alone and I got use to the sound.
Old 09-30-2002, 06:21 PM

Originally posted by augie
I have the generic one from custommaxima.com that I got like 2 years ago. I have the same problem as well when I hit reverse. I just left it alone and I got use to the sound.
It's really not the BIGGEST deal in the world only because i rarely go in reverse more then like 5 miles an hour. It seems to only happen when i really get on it in reverse. I just wanted to see if anyone else had the problem. It doesn't cause any damage to the car though does it?
Old 09-30-2002, 06:27 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by pmas76

It's really not the BIGGEST deal in the world only because i rarely go in reverse more then like 5 miles an hour. It seems to only happen when i really get on it in reverse. I just wanted to see if anyone else had the problem. It doesn't cause any damage to the car though does it?
have the same problem, I got mine fstb from ebay.com I think its b/c there is not enough clearance, that's why when you really get on it in reverse, it actually hits the bar. I just left it alone, b/c rarely would I go into reverse
Old 09-30-2002, 06:41 PM
Got Projectors?

Originally posted by BioMaxDDS
have the same problem, I got mine fstb from ebay.com I think its b/c there is not enough clearance, that's why when you really get on it in reverse, it actually hits the bar. I just left it alone, b/c rarely would I go into reverse
I have exactly the same problem, same bar, and same sentiments. If I let the car ease itself in reverse then I don't get any grinding, only when I gun it in reverse. I have a feeling it has to do with the tilt of the bar that I have under there. I've just not had enough time to get under there and play with it, nor do I accelerate too heavily in reverse that often anyway.

John
Old 09-30-2002, 08:10 PM

Originally posted by MetaOrbit

I have exactly the same problem, same bar, and same sentiments. If I let the car ease itself in reverse then I don't get any grinding, only when I gun it in reverse. I have a feeling it has to do with the tilt of the bar that I have under there. I've just not had enough time to get under there and play with it, nor do I accelerate too heavily in reverse that often anyway.

John
This might help
http://forums.max-world.org/index.php?act=ST&f=21&t=116
Old 09-30-2002, 09:14 PM
Got Projectors?

Originally posted by Lumbee799

This might help
http://forums.max-world.org/index.php?act=ST&f=21&t=116
Ahh, that's slick! I saw the idea about grinding away part of the STB itself, but I figured I'd play around with the tilt before hacking stuff away

John
Old 10-01-2002, 04:32 AM

pmas76

i have a 2k max and dont have that problem at all...howeva you have a 2k2 max, do you have the proper FSTB that is a 2 piece brace that is made for the 3.5L engine you have which in turn needs clearance...
Old 10-01-2002, 07:53 AM

Re: pmas76

Originally posted by nissanmaximas
i have a 2k max and dont have that problem at all...howeva you have a 2k2 max, do you have the proper FSTB that is a 2 piece brace that is made for the 3.5L engine you have which in turn needs clearance...
Huh? The FSTB for the 2k - 2k3 are all the same. I have had both a 2k GXE and now a 2k2 SE. The FSTB install on the 2k GXE was a lot more time consuming. I had to get out the hacksaw and cut part of the air filter mounting bracket. With my 2k2, I bolted up everything noticed the bar was close to the intake manifold. Removed the bar and sanded down the only point that could have come in contact. I reinstalled the bar and clearance is good now. This was easily a 30 minute install. I have heard you need to tilt the bar front or back, but I never liked that idea and now I don't have to worry about it.