5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Service Engine Soon....420

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2002, 09:25 PM

Service Engine Soon....420

My sevice engine soon light came on the other day. The OBD II code was 420. The printout says: "the pcm has determined that the catalyst system efficiency for bank 1 is below threshold for the current engine operating conditions. (bank 1 identifies the location of cylinder #1, while bank 2 identifies the cylinders on the opposite bank)."

We reset it, the light hasn't come back on, and i dont notice any problems. I have a 2k gle auto with a stillen intake and thats it. No warranty and im not dealing with the people at nissan unless i absolutely have to. What could have tripped the ses light? The intake (ive had it for about a year)? Can someone help me out here?

Thanks,
Daniel
Old 10-03-2002, 09:35 PM

sounds like oxygen sensor codes, bank 1 is the o2 sensor location not cylinder
Old 10-03-2002, 09:45 PM

4:20? Your engine is asking for some chronic.
Old 10-03-2002, 10:21 PM

Hello,

I recently got this issue fixed thru a Nissan dealer. My 2K SE was at 47K miles when this light came on. It seems like the O2 sensor from all the postings on the Forum here but it turned out to be the ECU needs to be re-programmed. If your car has less than 50K miles, then Nissan will replace the O2 sensor but in this case it was the ECU. I am not sure what the service limits are for ECU but you can search the Forum or even call a Nissan dealership.

I too HATE dealing with Nissan dealerships. Luckily, I did some homework on this issue thanks to this Forum because right off the bat the service guys tells me that it will cost me $80 to pull the code and the run their own test as to why the light came on. Before this I too went to a local Autozone store and had the same code pulled as you which indicated something was wrong with the Catalytic converter. I fail to see that I needed a new Catalytic converter with less than 50K which could mean a bad O2 sensor. I bluffed and told the Nissan service guy that I got the code pulled from another dealership and they said it was the o2 sensor. They still insisted that they had to check it out which makes sense. The service guy then asked why I didn't get it fixed by them. I gave the excuse that I did not have the time them to get it fixed and just wanted to see what was wrong if anything serious enough to be taken care of urgently. I asked him why it would cost me that much when the thing which was wrong was the O2 sensor which is still under warranty. The service guy backed off and said that he would need to take a look at it. But all in all, I was incorrect in my diagnostic of the car but still got it fixed without getting ripped off from the Nissan dealership in Marlboro, Massachusetts.
Old 10-03-2002, 10:36 PM

Originally posted by Mikes2K2SE
sounds like oxygen sensor codes, bank 1 is the o2 sensor location not cylinder
thanks, i will check up on the o2 sensor. what would be the problem though? if the o2 sensor is messed up will it cause any other problems aside from tripping the light? (which hasn't come on again) im not getting any fuel cuts or anything.
Old 10-03-2002, 10:41 PM

Originally posted by BLaZin 2k MaX
Heh, my car was filled with smoke when it happened, so im sure its not from lack of thc.
Old 10-03-2002, 10:45 PM

Originally posted by Miata32
Hello,

I recently got this issue fixed thru a Nissan dealer. My 2K SE was at 47K miles when this light came on. It seems like the O2 sensor from all the postings on the Forum here but it turned out to be the ECU needs to be re-programmed. If your car has less than 50K miles, then Nissan will replace the O2 sensor but in this case it was the ECU. I am not sure what the service limits are for ECU but you can search the Forum or even call a Nissan dealership.

I too HATE dealing with Nissan dealerships. Luckily, I did some homework on this issue thanks to this Forum because right off the bat the service guys tells me that it will cost me $80 to pull the code and the run their own test as to why the light came on. Before this I too went to a local Autozone store and had the same code pulled as you which indicated something was wrong with the Catalytic converter. I fail to see that I needed a new Catalytic converter with less than 50K which could mean a bad O2 sensor. I bluffed and told the Nissan service guy that I got the code pulled from another dealership and they said it was the o2 sensor. They still insisted that they had to check it out which makes sense. The service guy then asked why I didn't get it fixed by them. I gave the excuse that I did not have the time them to get it fixed and just wanted to see what was wrong if anything serious enough to be taken care of urgently. I asked him why it would cost me that much when the thing which was wrong was the O2 sensor which is still under warranty. The service guy backed off and said that he would need to take a look at it. But all in all, I was incorrect in my diagnostic of the car but still got it fixed without getting ripped off from the Nissan dealership in Marlboro, Massachusetts.
Thanks for the input, i will check up on the ecu if its not the o2 sensor. I dont have a warrantee, but i might get my ecu reprogramed if i cant figure it out and i keep having problems.
Old 10-03-2002, 10:55 PM

Re: Service Engine Soon....420

Originally posted by Dan4614
My sevice engine soon light came on the other day. The OBD II code was 420. The printout says: "the pcm has determined that the catalyst system efficiency for bank 1 is below threshold for the current engine operating conditions. (bank 1 identifies the location of cylinder #1, while bank 2 identifies the cylinders on the opposite bank)."

We reset it, the light hasn't come back on, and i dont notice any problems. I have a 2k gle auto with a stillen intake and thats it. No warranty and im not dealing with the people at nissan unless i absolutely have to. What could have tripped the ses light? The intake (ive had it for about a year)? Can someone help me out here?

Thanks,
Daniel

If you are Cali Spec cars, you need to get your ECU reprogrammed thru the dealers (there is a TSB no this)...something about limits of exhaust window was set too narrow from the factory. I, too have this problem but I am Fed Spec car, so when I was at the dealer, they basically threw me out ...

BUT IF anyone has any update on this error code regarding to Fed Spec. Please do tell.
Old 10-04-2002, 06:55 AM

In reply to MaxTurner,

The Nissan dealership told me that the ECU is in charge of looking thru these windows and these windows represents an area of monitoring. Over time, the window self adjusts itself to the current conditions and narrows it specification to meet the need at the time but does not adjust back. So when this happens, the ECU tells the Service light to come on because ECU no longer see's the item to be monitored. I hope this helps.
Old 10-04-2002, 09:26 AM

Originally posted by Miata32
In reply to MaxTurner,

The Nissan dealership told me that the ECU is in charge of looking thru these windows and these windows represents an area of monitoring. Over time, the window self adjusts itself to the current conditions and narrows it specification to meet the need at the time but does not adjust back. So when this happens, the ECU tells the Service light to come on because ECU no longer see's the item to be monitored. I hope this helps.
So do you know the solution?
Old 10-04-2002, 09:48 AM

Autozone said that emissions related equipment is covered under a seperate warranty for up to 80k.
Old 10-04-2002, 10:07 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

it is a glitch in all maximas from 2000 to current im surprised that they didn't fix it for the 2k2 it isn't a big deal it just needs some oxygen
Old 10-04-2002, 11:01 AM

Yeah, I had this same error on my car 2001 SE Cali. spec. Nissan fixed it by reprogramming the ECU as per the TSB. So far so good. Although, since I was still under warranty, it was not a hassle.
Old 10-04-2002, 11:31 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Put it in the air....
Old 10-04-2002, 11:46 AM

Old 10-04-2002, 12:19 PM

Originally posted by mexicanfonzy
it is a glitch in all maximas from 2000 to current im surprised that they didn't fix it for the 2k2 it isn't a big deal it just needs some oxygen
No, according to Nissan only Cali Spec maximas have this problem. Not Fed Spec

So nobody knows if there is any update on this?