5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

News from the dealer about the 2K4 Maxima...

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2002, 10:55 AM

News from the dealer about the 2K4 Maxima...

I am close with the dealership I bought my 2K3 from. I was in the other day to have my Bose subwolfer replaced and the manager pulled me aside. We started chatted and he asked me if I had any interest in a 2K4 Maxima.. I advised no because I just graduated college and want to pay off some college debt. We go into his office start BSing and he whips out these pics. It is a pretty cool ride I will say. He stated that the cost will be going up by about $2000 across the board including on the Altima and that they are planning to change the Altima to their "flagship". Apparently the Altimas are the fastest selling car in the industry now. The Altima will still be bigger.

He also stated that initally they are going to see how the Z sells and adjust the power on the 2K4 accordingly. The 2K4 he stated is going to only have a slight bost in power to around 260 base HP. There is also going to be an 18 wheel high performance package taht is similar to the Titanium Edition. He claims if the Z sells well they will not raise the HP on the following years Maximas. If it dose not sell he heard, now again this is all what he claims, that there are plans to put the Z engine in the Maxima. Again this is what the dealer manager has told me in the Twin Cities area. So take it for what it is worth.
Old 10-04-2002, 11:08 AM

sounds like a typical scheming salesman's load of filthy stinking crap......but then again, there could be SOME truth to what he says....
Old 10-04-2002, 11:11 AM
Maxima Pilot

Does this mean the 2k4 will be rear wheel drive?

Old 10-04-2002, 11:32 AM

Re: News from the dealer about the 2K4 Maxima...

Originally posted by 2003MaximaSE_TE

If it dose not sell he heard, now again this is all what he claims, that there are plans to put the Z engine in the Maxima.
they already have the same engine
Old 10-04-2002, 11:49 AM

I've heard so much different stories about what the new Max is going to have (e.g. Power, Looks,FWD,RWD, Blah..Blah..Blah..). Why is Nissan doing this to us? why don't they tell the world something?
Chances are this is my last Nissan/Infiniti product but it would be nice to have some facts instead of all the speculation. With the new Altima and Z Pictures was circulating at least 1-1.5 years before they came out. If this is going to be a 2004 model time is running out.

I WANT TO SEE SOMETHING REAL DAMMIT
Old 10-04-2002, 11:55 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Originally posted by nice95GLE
I've heard so much different stories about what the new Max is going to have (e.g. Power, Looks,FWD,RWD, Blah..Blah..Blah..). Why is Nissan doing this to us? why don't they tell the world something?
Chances are this is my last Nissan/Infiniti product but it would be nice to have some facts instead of all the speculation. With the new Altima and Z Pictures was circulating at least 1-1.5 years before they came out. If this is going to be a 2004 model time is running out.

Shut up and wait. we'll find out eventually.
Old 10-04-2002, 11:58 AM

Originally posted by nice95GLE

if they told you there was going to be 350 hp in the new max, would you buy a 2003? (there wont be 350 hp, just using it as an example)
Old 10-04-2002, 12:37 PM

they are planning to change the Altima to their "flagship". Apparently the Altimas are the fastest selling car in the industry now. The Altima will still be bigger.
I am little confused with this logic. Ok then why even have a maxima? What's the point of having a car that was your flagship and then demote it? Makes Nissan look kinda stupid in my opinion. As for the Altima still being bigger, then that really makes the Maxima obsolete in the line up IMHO. Besides doesn't directly contradict Nissan's official statement that the next Maxima will be built on a stretched Altima platform? But then again with Nissan who knows.

Salesmen
Old 10-04-2002, 12:51 PM

Re: Re: News from the dealer about the 2K4 Maxima...

Originally posted by JoesMAX

they already have the same engine

I know that. But the cams are different.
Old 10-04-2002, 12:53 PM

Originally posted by max2001se

I am little confused with this logic. Ok then why even have a maxima? What's the point of having a car that was your flagship and then demote it? Makes Nissan look kinda stupid in my opinion. As for the Altima still being bigger, then that really makes the Maxima obsolete in the line up IMHO. Besides doesn't directly contradict Nissan's official statement that the next Maxima will be built on a stretched Altima platform? But then again with Nissan who knows.

Salesmen
That is what I thought too. Odd eh?
Old 10-04-2002, 12:54 PM
Very sound, Mike

I am little confused with this logic. Ok then why even have a maxima? What's the point of having a car that was your flagship and then demote it?
Who says anything about demoting the Maxima? The Altima is moving one class up since the Maxima is also being upgraded one class higher to directly and officially compete with the Avalon (among others).

Which will still technically make the Maxima, well, Nissan North America's Flagship sedan.
Old 10-04-2002, 01:02 PM

Nobody really knows what will become of the new generation maxima. I have asked the district manager of my region and he states that he doesn't know much info. Cooperate is trying to really keep it quite.
Old 10-04-2002, 01:24 PM

I think everybody is getting too worked up off of one post by someone that heard this from of all people a car salemen... If it was someone at corporate Nissan, engineers, designers then you will have a more reliable source. What gets me is the saleman is trying to sell you a car that stats, pics etc... Haven't even been made official.
Old 10-04-2002, 01:56 PM

Originally posted by perrymaxima
I think everybody is getting too worked up off of one post by someone that heard this from of all people a car salemen... If it was someone at corporate Nissan, engineers, designers then you will have a more reliable source. What gets me is the saleman is trying to sell you a car that stats, pics etc... Haven't even been made official.
I posted in the stick what I was told by a someone from their tech center in MI. This thread smells of BS.

Stereodude
Old 10-04-2002, 02:02 PM

I am close with the dealership I bought my 2K3 from. I was in the other day to have my Bose subwolfer replaced and the manager pulled me aside. We started chatted and he asked me if I had any interest in a 2K4 Maxima.. I advised no because I just graduated college and want to pay off some college debt. We go into his office start BSing and he whips out these pics. It is a pretty cool ride I will say. He stated that the cost will be going up by about $2000 across the board including on the Altima and that they are planning to change the Altima to their "flagship". Apparently the Altimas are the fastest selling car in the industry now. The Altima will still be bigger.

He also stated that initally they are going to see how the Z sells and adjust the power on the 2K4 accordingly. The 2K4 he stated is going to only have a slight bost in power to around 260 base HP. There is also going to be an 18 wheel high performance package taht is similar to the Titanium Edition. He claims if the Z sells well they will not raise the HP on the following years Maximas. If it dose not sell he heard, now again this is all what he claims, that there are plans to put the Z engine in the Maxima. Again this is what the dealer manager has told me in the Twin Cities area. So take it for what it is worth.

What dealer? - "I won't go and hound him or anything" - I live in the twin cities as well.
Old 10-04-2002, 02:05 PM

Apparently the Altimas are the fastest selling car in the industry now.

I can't believe the above statement...are you saying there are more Altimas being sold right than Camrys & Accords?

Doesn't really matter though, Maxima is my last Nissan, what's the use of buying the same model over & over. One should attempt to move up if you can, my next car will be a beemer/benz/lexus.
Old 10-04-2002, 03:00 PM
Jer

Look, we all know about Nissan's announcement to MT that they will be changing the motor to an SR20DET w/190hp.. they're gonna follow in the steps of Volvo and Audi with smaller motors w/turbos...so what's the point of all this discussion? At least they'll be easy to mod!

I heard there will be a high pressure turbo variant with over 300hp!
Old 10-04-2002, 05:57 PM

Originally posted by Ollie

What dealer? - "I won't go and hound him or anything" - I live in the twin cities as well.

Feldman Imports in Bloomington.
Old 10-04-2002, 06:04 PM

Originally posted by Jer
Look, we all know about Nissan's announcement to MT that they will be changing the motor to an SR20DET w/190hp.. they're gonna follow in the steps of Volvo and Audi with smaller motors w/turbos...so what's the point of all this discussion? At least they'll be easy to mod!

I heard there will be a high pressure turbo variant with over 300hp!
What a total load of crap.
Old 10-04-2002, 07:04 PM
Project Ruby......

Re: Re: Re: News from the dealer about the 2K4 Maxima...

Originally posted by soundmike

Who says anything about demoting the Maxima? The Altima is moving one class up since the Maxima is also being upgraded one class higher to directly and officially compete with the Avalon (among others).

Which will still technically make the Maxima, well, Nissan North America's Flagship sedan.
But isn't the Avalon even bigger than the Altima? It sounds too me with all this speculation that the Altima will compete with the Avalon and maybe just MAYBE the Maxima will get some sportiness back.

And let's all join hands and pray for RWD!!
Old 10-04-2002, 07:19 PM
Very sound, Mike

Re: Re: Re: Re: News from the dealer about the 2K4 Maxima...

Originally posted by 4DRSpeed
But isn't the Avalon even bigger than the Altima?
Nope. In fact the a 5th gen Maxima is still a bit bigger than the 2002 Avalon. With that in mind that makes the Altima much larger than both cars.

Though i'm with you in making the Max a real sports sedan
Old 10-04-2002, 07:44 PM
Project Ruby......

Unless I'm reading that wrong, it says the Maxima's overall length is 191.5 inches. The Avalon is 191.9 inches. Granted not much of a difference, but still larger.
Old 10-04-2002, 07:48 PM
Very sound, Mike

Originally posted by 4DRSpeed
Unless I'm reading that wrong, it says the Maxima's overall length is 191.5 inches. The Avalon is 191.9 inches. Granted not much of a difference, but still larger.
Overall length could include the size of the bumper. But wheelbase, front/rear/interior space and pretty much every other method/form of measurement puts the Max on top or equal to the Avalon.
Old 10-04-2002, 07:55 PM
Project Ruby......

Ah, I see what your saying. Hopefully there will be news to come in the next few months, from Nissan.

The '04 Max is suppose to go on sale in mid to late 2003, right?
Old 10-04-2002, 08:00 PM
Very sound, Mike

That i'm unsure of. Last i heard it was going to be towards the end of the first quarter of next year.

But knowing Nissan, a month or two before it comes out we'll already hear about it everywhere.
Old 10-04-2002, 08:17 PM

I was under the impression that the Max was being "kicked" upstairs; a reaction to the success that Toyota has had with the Avalon.

Buzz
Old 10-04-2002, 09:58 PM

Dealer smealer

I seriously doubt the salesmen that sold you your cars is still with Nissan after a couple of years. I assure you that most of the knowledgeable members of this forum know more about Maximas then 90% of those dealers out there. They have a ton of shibby coming out of there mouths, yet half of them had no clue what HLSD was when asked.
Old 10-04-2002, 10:33 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by jsangha
Apparently the Altimas are the fastest selling car in the industry now.

I can't believe the above statement...are you saying there are more Altimas being sold right than Camrys & Accords?

Doesn't really matter though, Maxima is my last Nissan, what's the use of buying the same model over & over. One should attempt to move up if you can, my next car will be a beemer/benz/lexus.
Just curious, why not mention an Infiniti if you want to move up from the Max? It's what I am currently debating.
Old 10-05-2002, 06:16 AM
john2002max

That 260 HP is Bullsh!t, They have to boost the hp way up to seperate it from the altima or the Max will slowly go away!

Old 10-05-2002, 07:18 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I saw my salesguy the other night at a local bar and he was bugging me about possibly flipping my car for the new Z (again) I told him that there's no way I'd buy it since it has no room for the golf clubs. I said maybe the G35 coupe will have a more useable trunk? He then told me that he got some info regarding the 2k4 Max. All he could remember was - rear wheel drive. He wasn't sure if it would have a manual tranny and he couldn't tell me what power plant would be in it (attention span of a 2 year old). He claims that they will start to show up around January. I told him that I'll drop by next week and see what info he has.

My personal feelings on what the next Max will be are: Nissan version of M45 but with the 3.5 in it. I think it's going to lose it's sportiness and become more of a 'step to Infiniti'.

Oh well, hopefully I'm wrong.

Albert
Old 10-05-2002, 07:46 AM
Maxima06071

Originally posted by akrus
January......

....My personal feelings on what the next Max will be are: Nissan version of M45 but with the 3.5 in it. I think it's going to lose it's sportiness and become more of a 'step to Infiniti'.

Oh well, hopefully I'm wrong.

Albert
January!?!? and Nissan hasn't shown us squat yet.
Oh this is so exciting. I almost wish it would be like the M45/Gloria/Cedric! Oh so exciting