5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Has anyone had the left side speakers lose volume temporarily

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2002, 10:32 PM

Has anyone had the left side speakers lose volume temporarily

Today when I was driving the left side of my speakers on my 2k2 just got really muffled. A few minutes later I hit a bump in the road and they came back on. I'm thinking a short maybe? Anyone else get this? The right side is fine.

Jesse
Old 10-04-2002, 10:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Has anyone had the left side speakers lose volume temporarily

Same thing happened to my '03. I took it to the dealer, who replaced the head unit. The problem has not reoccurred since then.

If you search, you'll find several threads on this problem - seems to be somewhat common, and it only happens when playing CD's.
Old 10-05-2002, 06:43 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

happened to me several times and i had the radio replaced TWICE and it happened again, so i just got all new speakers/headunit. so yes's a common common problem bring it to nissan and after you wait 3 weeks they will fix it with a REFURBISHED UNIT(happened to me, there was a sticker on it that stated that) then it will happen again and you will wait two weeks to get another one that will do the same thing and then you will freak out and dump $3000 into a LCD driven Radio system and then you'll blow your front right speaker thursday night and get all stressed about it and then waste you whole day saturday(today) trying to find out why all of a sudden you have engine noise feedback coming through your speakers. maybe that's just me
Old 10-05-2002, 11:06 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

hahahahaha
Old 10-05-2002, 12:09 PM

Originally posted by dmbmaxima2k2
happened to me several times and i had the radio replaced TWICE and it happened again, so i just got all new speakers/headunit. so yes's a common common problem bring it to nissan and after you wait 3 weeks they will fix it with a REFURBISHED UNIT(happened to me, there was a sticker on it that stated that) then it will happen again and you will wait two weeks to get another one that will do the same thing and then you will freak out and dump $3000 into a LCD driven Radio system and then you'll blow your front right speaker thursday night and get all stressed about it and then waste you whole day saturday(today) trying to find out why all of a sudden you have engine noise feedback coming through your speakers. maybe that's just me
Well thats just great. I guess I'll just listen to the radio for awhile instead of my CD's. On the engine noise feedback you were getting, that could be b/c of where you grounded it. Anyway I guess I'll go down to my local Nissan dealership and see what they say. This is uncacceptable for a $1500 option.

Jesse
Old 10-05-2002, 01:19 PM

i have a very similar problem. well maybe.. i don't know much about audio electronics, but i can't hear much on my left speaker and the right speaker is fine. but one day it will be both speakers working properly. but nowadays the left hasn't been working properly, and its been about a month already. it happens when i play the radio,tape,and the CD player. i haven't had time to go to the dealership yet. but if it is the same problem. i dunno if i can wait like 3 weeks or so just to get it fixed or maybe even temporarily fixed. i dunno
Old 10-05-2002, 06:17 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by 02MaximizedVQ

Well thats just great. I guess I'll just listen to the radio for awhile instead of my CD's. On the engine noise feedback you were getting, that could be b/c of where you grounded it. Anyway I guess I'll go down to my local Nissan dealership and see what they say. This is uncacceptable for a $1500 option.

Jesse
ya i know it is, i wish i could have gotten the leather ect... without having to get bose but they make you.

i got rid of the engine noise, it just started that's whyu i didn't think it was the ground, i tightened i bunch of stuff cleaned up grounds and moved wires and it's all fine now. the sub pounds harder then beofer too soo i'm happy. but the that speaker is blown a little. i can hear it bottom out slightlt before the other one/ they are still loud though i'm just going deaf. i need those 1000 dollar boston's at tweetermmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Old 10-07-2002, 06:26 AM

Today when I was driving the left side of my speakers on my 2k2 just got really muffled. A few minutes later I hit a bump in the road and they came back on. I'm thinking a short maybe? Anyone else get this? The right side is fine.

Jesse
Read, weep and fear:

A side note to it: Both channels are now cutting in and out now.

Memo to Nissan: Your service sucks.
Old 10-07-2002, 06:32 AM

Jesse
I have the EXACT same problem. Its CDs only and it doesnt happen all the time. I took it in and my dealership ordered me a new head unit and Im going in hopefully this week to get it repalced.

It better not be one of these bull**** "refurbished" head unit things or I'll flip the hell out!
Already have had this car to the dealership 3 times since March for warranty things!
Old 10-07-2002, 07:52 AM

hasn't happened to me....
Old 10-07-2002, 11:40 AM

Yeah, it happens to me too. And, I have replaced ALL my speakers. Definietly coming from the factory head unit.

Replace it or have it replaced. Otherwise...

ADMAN
Old 10-11-2002, 06:36 AM

I got the same problem.
Old 10-11-2002, 08:14 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

02MaximizedVQ and Everyone else

Same problem here. The dealer tried to replace speakers while I explained to him it wasn't the problem. They finally ordered the head unit and 3 months later it arrived, they installed it and it is no good as well. They allegedly called Nissan and they stated they know they are bad and will get another one out ASAP. This is my wife's car and she is not happy. Her employer is a supplier to Nissan and she has already complained to them about the car since it is a part of her benefit package to get cars at a huge discount through the Nissan supplier program. This car replaced her 1996 Taurus SHO that we kept 6 years and put 70,000 miles with the only problem being a rear window defroster problem that the dealer replaced the entire back glass to make it right. This car already has three recalls, two bad CD players and is only ten months old with 11,000 miles. Also the paint is in worse shape than the Taurus when we sold it. We're not happy with this and have let Nissan know. I'm betting they will get the car back soon. I guess we'll have to go with something else. And I had heard how the Japanese cars were so much better... Sorry to rant. Good luck to you everyone getting their's fixed.
Old 10-13-2002, 02:01 PM

Do you have the speed sensitive volume control on? Reason I asked was because noticed that when I speed sensitive volume goes up it makes a popping sound sometimes. Well, the left side usually goes out when I brake, slow down,hit a bump, go around a curve, etc all which cause a change in speed. Well, I turned it off and had the radio for a while then turn the cd back on, and it hasn't went out yet (since Saturday morning and I've been on a 4 hour road trip)before it would come in an out every few minutes. So I hope that's the cure.
Old 10-14-2002, 06:13 AM

Re: Re: Has anyone had the left side speakers lose volume temporarily

Originally posted by Pmm3rd

I have the EXACT same problem. Its CDs only and it doesnt happen all the time. I took it in and my dealership ordered me a new head unit and Im going in hopefully this week to get it repalced.

It better not be one of these bull**** "refurbished" head unit things or I'll flip the hell out!
Already have had this car to the dealership 3 times since March for warranty things!
Well, one week since my last post and the radio is still not in yet!! I have found that if you smack the front of the radio REAL hard the left side cuts back IN. When you go over a bump real hard is when it goes out. It defiently has something to do with a short in the left channel. I guess I'll just keep pounding the front of the radio until my piece of **** head unit comes in!
Old 10-14-2002, 08:08 AM

I'm in the same boat. Unit is in and will be replaced this week. This and the little hesitation from stop (along with all of the other warranty work I've had to do) are really ****ing me off. Does anyone have the number to Nissan customer service handy?
Old 10-14-2002, 06:19 PM

Hmm I've never thought about the SCV control. I have it on high. I'm going to try to disable it this week and see if it works. Might save me a trip to the dealer.

Jesse
Old 10-15-2002, 06:44 AM

Its not the SCV (if your problem is the same one). The dealer told me they are replacing a lot of these. Its got something to do with the left channel going bad. It will cut out when you like go over a bump. If you hit the face of the radio with your hand real hard it will cut back in. The ironic thing is that it only effects the CD player and not the radio.
Its a major PITA!!