5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Just read article on Intakes

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2002, 04:52 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Just read article on Intakes

I trying to learn about intakes and have read many of the threads in maxima.org about them. I must say I have learned alot from all of you.

I thought I'd share share, what I thought to be, interesting results of an intake shootout I just read about. Now keep in mind I just skimmed the article. Also the test vehicle was a Acura RSX Type S. It was in some Honda magazine.

If I remember the article tested six systems against stock. One was a K&N drop in. Two were a CAI similiar to Injen. The others were similiar to the Frankencar and Berk.

The K&N drop in, although it flowed more air, resulted in no increase in power.

The HAI all put out about 9-10 HP more.

Both CAI's put out about 20 HP more.

I talked to my brother who is a mechanic and is heavily modifying a PT Cruiser and he says CAI is the only way to go.

What do you guys think about this? Please keep in mind my newbie status and be gentle.
Old 10-05-2002, 05:53 PM

Re: Just read article on Intakes

Originally posted by 03BlkSETE
I trying to learn about intakes and have read many of the threads in maxima.org about them. I must say I have learned alot from all of you.

I thought I'd share share, what I thought to be, interesting results of an intake shootout I just read about. Now keep in mind I just skimmed the article. Also the test vehicle was a Acura RSX Type S. It was in some Honda magazine.

If I remember the article tested six systems against stock. One was a K&N drop in. Two were a CAI similiar to Injen. The others were similiar to the Frankencar and Berk.

I talked to my brother who is a mechanic and is heavily modifying a PT Cruiser and he says CAI is the only way to go.

What do you guys think about this? Please keep in mind my newbie status and be gentle.
The main thing is just getting rid of the stock intake. Thats where you're losing the power. Any aftermarket intake wont help all that much more than another. Its basically preference in looks and sound. Theres about 1 - 4 hp difference in the CAI or so and most of the WAI are about the same.
Old 10-05-2002, 06:49 PM

I was just very suprised that the CAI had significantly better horsepower and torque numbers than the other setups. I know the test was done on an Acura but I couldn't help but wonder if the situation would be the same on the Max. I really hope that intake dyno shootout that was mentioned in a thread a week or so ago comes together.

By the way, what is your custom ram air set up? If I may ask.
Old 10-05-2002, 08:10 PM

significant issue

The real question is what is measured on the dyno. Far too many "butt dyno's" as someone put it here previously. There have been a few articles that indicate (through a dyno) that HAI's and CAI's do make a difference. Whether they are worth the $100+ is up to you. Personally I'm convinced that they are worth doing.
Old 10-05-2002, 09:12 PM

don't forget the nsx's engine is in the back
Old 10-05-2002, 09:27 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

A CAI will only perform as well as the length of the pipe feeding it, and the location of the filter.....
Old 10-05-2002, 11:53 PM

Re: Just read article on Intakes

Originally posted by 03BlkSETE

Funny..if you ask Comptech (a very reputable Acura tuner for those who don't know) claimed that on RSX type S, their drop in replacement filters actually ourperform all other intakes on the market!!! that's why they don't make any intake systems for that car!

Go figure!
Old 10-06-2002, 12:56 AM

CAI!

i have my place racing