5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Options Worth Taking on 2k3 Max

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2002, 02:08 PM

Options Worth Taking on 2k3 Max

I am in the market for a new 2k3 Max and am wondering what options are worth it. i.e. Meridian Package and the like. Is Black really a bad color to get? It will be my first brand new car (its about time). I will not be installing any mods unless its HIGHLY recommended. I won't be racing this car and won't be doing any shows. Just wanted to reward myself with years of patience. Any help with the decisions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

oz
Old 10-10-2002, 02:12 PM
jjs

Re: Options Worth Taking on 2k3 Max

Originally posted by ozdemir
I am in the market for a new 2k3 Max and am wondering what options are worth it. i.e. Meridian Package and the like. Is Black really a bad color to get? It will be my first brand new car (its about time). I will not be installing any mods unless its HIGHLY recommended. I won't be racing this car and won't be doing any shows. Just wanted to reward myself with years of patience. Any help with the decisions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

oz
Don't get black (outside)! I have it and while it looks FANTASTIC when clean, this clean period lasts about 30 minutes until dust, etc. have begun to show up. That, and the fact the paint sucks, every chip, scratch and swirl will show up!
Old 10-10-2002, 02:18 PM

thank you. i thought that, but i really like black. nothing morbid. just a preference. i did hear that about the black color showing the scratches and just from observing all the other cars on the road, the dust does show up and reflect a not so nice looking ride. thanks
Old 10-10-2002, 02:19 PM

Black looks great for an hour after wash and it should be ok for your area. The paint is the most demanding, however. Every little swirl mark, rock chip, and scratch will show up. I would get a black Max if it was garaged all the time (no salt in Chicago winters). Buyers of loaded cars would expect leather, Bose, auto climate and moonroof. For your area, you may enjoy the heated seats, so why not get the Meridian too? I would pass on the Navi. If you get a black Max, the clear rear lights do not match it very well and a lot of people have been swapping them with 2k-2k1 SE lights. Personally, I would get the polished titanium color with titanium package, that car looks awesome, the swirls will not show much at all and is pretty unique (will be made only for a year). Good luck!
Old 10-10-2002, 02:25 PM

definately agree with the titanium choice. i am leaning towards that in lieu of the black for those same two reasons - the scratches on the black and the uniqueness with the titanium. Plus, it represents professionalism while still being able to be sporty with a 6 speed. Its not your teenagers' mustang either. That's what I wanted to stay away from while still being able to have those benefits (the 6speed, 255hp, etc.).

the car would be garage kept, but these horror stories and actual visual evidence on the paint chips from other max owners really scares me. and the fact that dealers just don't back up their products, what's the deal there? kind of troubling but wanting this maxima as bad as i do, i may just accept the fact that i know the paint will chip beyond the normal wear and tear. just gotta be extra careful when taking the car out into the air and the road.

oz
Old 10-10-2002, 02:58 PM

I would buy black..(any variation of silver will make you hard to pick out from every other car on the road).

Leather. Love it.

Meridian. Depends on your cimate.

Sun Roof. (Standard w/ Meridian????)

I would skip the Nav. C'mon, you can buy a Palm 515 for $349, and get the GPS Nav for like $150.

Eveyone says the Bose in the NEW Max sux, so I'd think twice about that.

oz
Old 10-10-2002, 05:25 PM
I miss the .org!

Just my .02: Get all the options except for Navi. It's CD-based on the Max, not DVD-based.
Old 10-10-2002, 06:11 PM

I live in the Midwest also and the road is sparyed with sand and salt during the winter. Colors such as Sheer Silver, Sterling Mist and Sunlit Sand will hide that better than the darker colors. A washed vehicle gets dirty quickly even during good weather.

I would recommend all packages (SE Titanium Edition Package, SE Leather package and Meridian Edition) except the Navigation System. If you buy the GLE instead of the SE then get the Meridian Edition package and the optional Rear Spoiler.
Old 10-10-2002, 06:21 PM

Yeah, but black cars are faster.

Originally posted by max988
Colors such as Sheer Silver, Sterling Mist and Sunlit Sand will hide that better than the darker colors. A washed vehicle gets dirty quickly even during good weather.
Old 10-10-2002, 07:01 PM
Banned

Originally posted by jjames
Yeah, but black cars are faster.

[/B]
If you've seen the Nissan Commercial with the Black Max speeding through the desert and the driver is shifting, you'll notice the black (which is actually dirt ) come off and out comes a silver max. Altho, in a couple of years, as a secondary car, I'd probably buy a used black 02 Altima SE.

Ozdemir:
Like Max988 said, the lighter colored Max's hide dirt alot better.
If your worried about the downfalls of a black car (and I know what's it's like with my old 93 T-bird) maybe look into the Majestic Blue or Grey Lustre. They're darker colors, but they may not be as highly maintenenced as a black car.

Just my .02.
Old 10-10-2002, 07:04 PM
Banned

Oh yeah, and definetly get every option package you can, with the NAV being optional. It all depends on if you do alot of road travel.
Old 10-10-2002, 07:14 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I went with the Black SE Titanium Edition/loaded except NAV. The polished alloy rims look great on black and the titanium accents inside look sharp with the black leather. So far I'm very happy but the car is basically brand new. Knowing that I was getting black I gave myself a crash course at
www.autopia-carcare.com
A great site about keeping a car looking great. I immediately Zaino'd my car and it looks great.

So bottom line, get loaded except for Nav, and get black if your prepared to work to keep it looking good.
Old 10-10-2002, 07:36 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

As far as the Navi is concerned , you should ask someone who has it. It does a lot more than just point you in one direction. I think its wworth it all the way...
Old 10-10-2002, 09:03 PM

Throttle Response

I have driven several 02 and 03 and I think the 02 has a better throttle response, less hesitatation. This may be due to tighter emission standards on the 03. I also heard the 03 have smoother suspension, less noise. You can get an 02 discounted pretty good right now, up to $6000 below MSRP. I would test both.
Good luck.
Old 10-11-2002, 12:43 AM

paint chips and all...

my cousin owns a graphics shop down in san diego named modern image if you are afraid of getting rock chips on your car he has a plastic coat that can be applied to cars ie: hood front bumper. when its on it is invisible unless you really try to look for it...i havent gotten it because it is too late for my max to be saved from the paint chips...anyway dont let paint chips be the reason for not getting what you really want, if you saved this long and its your first car better make it worth what you have been waiting for
Old 10-11-2002, 01:26 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

all i gotta say is G35 sedan..
Old 10-11-2002, 04:28 AM
john2002max

oz
Black is very hard to keep clean, I prefer a lighter color like the sterling mist. The silver seems to alaways look clean even after driving in the rain. Black is nicest color after a good waxing, but it doesn't last long. Plus every little scratch sticks out on a black car. Espicially a Nissan with its thin paint!

Old 10-11-2002, 07:12 AM
Zog

Re: Re: Options Worth Taking on 2k3 Max

Originally posted by john2002max

Plus every little scratch sticks out on a black car. Espicially a Nissan with its thin paint!
My friend just got a new accord, and his paint is flaking off too. It's just tighter EPA standards, make paint on all new cars just terrible. . .
Old 10-11-2002, 08:20 AM

Thanks a lot guys. I didn't receive an email saying that anyone responded and then I check the site and all these comments. Here's what I deduce from your responses:

Get black if and only if I plan to baby it for better or worse.
If possible, apply the plastic coat to protect from the air and wind.
No Navigation, but all the extras (Meridian, Titanium, etc.).

Sorry, I am going to get the SE cause I want the 6speed.

I have one concern though about the reply that suggested the 2k3 shifting was a lot harder than the 2k2. Is this the consensus? If so, should I go after the 2k2 while I still can? And another thing? I am sick and tired of watching TV and seeing all these GM and Ford and Chrysler commercials offering all these rebates and financing specials and all Nissan can do is say SHIFT_ this and that. What's up Nissan? Historically, is it better to buy a new car in January/February/March or does it not really matter at all?

Thanks again for all the replies. I'll let everyone know what I get when I get it. Cause, I am gonna get it!

oz
Old 10-11-2002, 09:36 AM
2K2 BLACK 6 SPD

Thanks a lot guys. I didn't receive an email saying that anyone responded and then I check the site and all these comments. Here's what I deduce from your responses:

Get black if and only if I plan to baby it for better or worse.
If possible, apply the plastic coat to protect from the air and wind.
No Navigation, but all the extras (Meridian, Titanium, etc.).

Sorry, I am going to get the SE cause I want the 6speed.

I have one concern though about the reply that suggested the 2k3 shifting was a lot harder than the 2k2. Is this the consensus? If so, should I go after the 2k2 while I still can? And another thing? I am sick and tired of watching TV and seeing all these GM and Ford and Chrysler commercials offering all these rebates and financing specials and all Nissan can do is say SHIFT_ this and that. What's up Nissan? Historically, is it better to buy a new car in January/February/March or does it not really matter at all?

Thanks again for all the replies. I'll let everyone know what I get when I get it. Cause, I am gonna get it!

oz
Just wanted to give you my take. First of all, good choice with the 6 speed. Second of all, definately get all of the toys. The only toys that I did not want and were not really a selling point was the HLSD and NAVI. I can't comment on either because I do not have them.
As far as the color goes, I had the choice between Sterling Mist and Super Black with the same options. I actually had a deposit on the Sterling Mist and my wife talked me out of it. She said "Go with the black one. A car like this looks good in black." I had to agree with her on that one. No regrets. Although I think that she regrets telling me that now because of the time I spend making sure it is clean. With the winter coming up, I'm sure it will be challenging but it is always garaged and covered when not being used so that helps. I also do not plan to drive it on days that the weather is bad. I'll take my beater.

Good luck with your new car!

Old 10-11-2002, 11:49 AM

I second the motion on the gray luster if you want a dark color except black. My '92 is gray and looks great after a wash and holds up pretty well for the first three days. If you want to go with a lighter color, the 2k3 Titanium is awesome. That is the color of my 2k3 even though I swore up and down I was going to get a black one.

As far as options, you should determine how often you are going to use the goodies. Me personally, I know how to read a map (no Navi) and don't like to be hot -> prefer cold (no heated front seats). Had to get the Titanium package though. Only thing I wish I would have gotten are the upgrade pedals. Would have saved me the hassle of having to buy them later. Either way, it's a MAX!