5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Mustang GT or Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2002, 07:27 PM

nah, 94 t-bird
Old 10-27-2002, 07:28 PM

Originally posted by SkylineGTR
[B] from a 40mph roll on, a 6spd 2k2 WILL walk a 99+ GT, stock vs stock. And a Stang GT isnt lighter than a Maxima. Let me prove how torque and hp doesnt matter as much as u are comparing dynos. A Prelude Si...
What's funny is that you say "WILL walk", not just "beat" In the Mustang community, the Maxima is very respected, but not feared.We knew not to take them lightly, especially when the 3.5 was released.

Taken from the Nissan website:
Manual transmission N/A 3,320 N/A
Automatic transmission 3,242 3,357 3,308

From this, I would say that a manual Max is 3320lbs. I weighed my 99GT at the track and it was 3275 without me in it and no spare. Maybe if you figure in the spare, they are about equal, so I stand corrected.

Prelude? I stopped reading after you said Prelude!
Old 10-27-2002, 08:05 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

wow, that was a very respectable way to end a rather stupid debate. nice touch, seriously, most would have kept it going until we were at each others throats. But the prelude thing was for real. My friend has an Si and this other guy has a Prelude Si, and thinks hes got this fast car, and my friend wasnt sure if he would beat him given the numbers. well prelude gets owned
Old 10-27-2002, 08:10 PM

If our debate helps the author to make the best decision for himself, then it is all worth it.
Old 10-27-2002, 08:47 PM

Originally posted by RMcoolX
My 99GT ran a 14.0 bone stock at HRP. $1100 later in performance mods and I got her down to 13.46. Slips and videos are available at my webspace. For a few months, I had my GT and my 01 MaxSE at the same time, so I speak from experience, not speculation. I also have owned '89 and '95 Maximas and a '90GT.

The least of my worries was losing to a Maxima in any race with my 99GT, so I don't know what Rubman is smoking for him to think that he is defeating 99+ GT's. Hell, even the autos run 14.4 stock! With equal drivers, it really is not much of a contest at all. I'm sure that a heavily modded Max will post a better slip, but I never ran into one at the track or on the street. 94-98 GT's are dogs; auto 2000+Maximas will beat an auto 94-98 GT, and the same result for sticks.

The Maxima has better quality and is a better all around car. The 99+ GT is faster and far more performance oriented, but the quality is still there. I street raced mine virtually everyday and pounded on it at the track many times and NEVER had to take it back to the dealer. I sold it after 2 years only because I really wanted a new Ford Supercrew truck.

My best advice to you MAX2000JP is to test drive one. That may be all it will take for you to buy the GT. Then again, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see you come back to a Maxima sometime soon. Both are great at what they do. Good luck.

Listen young lady, you could have owned every Stang since the 64 1/2 came out back in the 60's, that doesn't mean every young kid out there driving one knows how to drive. The GT was smoked, period. It's funny that all of you are defending such an inferior car on this website. I'm the first to admit, Maxima's are not the king of the hill, but they are not only better built than Mustangs, they're more reliable, and when driven and launched properly, will smoke a Mustang hands down. I've owned Mustangs, as well as Camaros, there is absolutely no comparison in regards to quality, bar none. Now, the throaty sound of the V-8, no comparison hands down. You've got us there, however that is a high price to pay for a nice engine sound.
Old 10-27-2002, 09:07 PM

Quality

Originally posted by MAX2000JP

How about this....When the article comes out again next summer I will scan it for everyone.

That issue of Automotive News I am referring to has probably been recycled into something new.
I guess we should clarify what quality they are talking about.

My understanding is that Consumer Report publishes the number of mechanical problems per car in several categories for each model+year. JD reports are mostly in regard of INITIAL quality, something like first 90 days. Those are two very different things. Initial quality is about how well the factory+dealer checked the car before the sale. The number of problems for a 3-5 years old car is about engineering, quality of materials and so on. So, it is the CR numbers that determine the resale value and $$$ you pay after the warranty is over.
While initial problems are irritating, for me, long term matters much more.

Besides, JD ratings also reflect the "feelings" of customers. Otherwords, it's the difference between what they expected and what they got. I recall an article published several years ago when Lexus got low numbers and some Koreans got high. Their explanation was that people expected much better from Lexus and worse from Hyundai (or Kia, I don't remember).
Old 10-27-2002, 09:09 PM

Originally posted by rubman

Listen young lady, you could have owned every Stang since the 64 1/2 came out back in the 60's, that doesn't mean every young kid out there driving one knows how to drive. The GT was smoked, period. It's funny that all of you are defending such an inferior car on this website. I'm the first to admit, Maxima's are not the king of the hill, but they are not only better built than Mustangs, they're more reliable, and when driven and launched properly, will smoke a Mustang hands down. I've owned Mustangs, as well as Camaros, there is absolutely no comparison in regards to quality, bar none. Now, the throaty sound of the V-8, no comparison hands down. You've got us there, however that is a high price to pay for a nice engine sound.
Do you have a Auto or 5 speed?
Old 10-27-2002, 09:59 PM

...that doesn't mean every young kid out there driving one knows how to drive.
Glad to see that you are keeping things in perspective. Young kids and ladies driving GT's have been losing to Hyundais' and Yugos' for years, so they damn well better lose to my Maxima!

It's funny that all of you are defending such an inferior car on this website.
Not so. I'm more-so defending the truth than I am the Mustang. I said it somewhere in this thread that the Maxima is a better all-around car. We all know that, including all Mustang owners, but they don't care based on the high sales.

I'm the first to admit, Maxima's are not the king of the hill, but they are not only better built than Mustangs, they're more reliable
I've already said this. That's why I have owned 3 Maximas in my lifetime and will own more.

and when driven and launched properly, will smoke a Mustang hands down.
True and false. If you drive and launch yours perfectly, and the 99+GT does too, then you lose if it's auto vs auto or stick vs stick. On the other hand, if you drive and launch yours perfectly, but the 99+GT does not, then you win if it's auto vs auto or stick vs stick.

...and what do you call "smoke"?
Old 10-28-2002, 12:41 AM

Guys we should get SteVTEC, better known as Mr. Physics to settle this argument.
Old 10-29-2002, 06:18 PM

Originally posted by SkylineGTR

dude, 99+GT 5spd wont outrun a 6spd 2k2 from a roll.
SkylineGTR... How do you know this?? Have you run a 99+GT from a roll in a 6spd 2k2? The torque in a GT would definitely give the Mustang an advantage in this scenario.... Remember, Torque is instantaneous twist....the thing you *really* need in a drag race, even "from a roll"....On the streets...Torque is king.
Old 10-29-2002, 06:41 PM

How can you say Maxima will beat Stang "hands down"... Thats just silly There may be a few Max's that will squeek by a few Mustangs but to make a generalized statement like that really can't be easily, intelligently, defended.

As for quality?? My '02 Maxima's quality kinda sucks....hands down.
Old 10-30-2002, 01:46 AM

Already done, the results aren't pretty. Has anyone ever considered how a 195-205whp/208-218wtq maxima would beat a mustang with 220-230whp/260-270wtq given both are within 50lbs of each other ?. Just for kicks I ran the simulations, the maximAr gets owned period. The mustang has way more torque everywhere, thus it would pull the maxima. I would post a screen shot of the results but it wouldn't help the maxima guys any. I suggest that anyone saying a 2k2 maxima will beat a 99+ mustang GT to put the pipe and magazine down.

Originally posted by Burton069
Guys we should get SteVTEC, better known as Mr. Physics to settle this argument.
Old 10-30-2002, 09:38 AM

Originally posted by Nismo87SE
I suggest that anyone saying a 2k2 maxima will beat a 99+ mustang GT to put the pipe and magazine down.