5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

CAI install?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2002, 02:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

CAI install?

This will be my first performance upgrade ever! I am stoked. I have recieved the Place Racing CAI. I have not found a comprehensive guide for installation. I have found endless install narratives including pictures for this particular item, but only for 4th Gen's. None for my 5th Gen. Any advice and or links containing help for the new guy. Thanks Chris Also, has anyone had any experience with the MonsterFlow filter that came with my intake. Good or bad, I need to know if I should use it or buy a K&N?
Old 10-27-2002, 09:18 PM

Congrats on the new part! Well you're at least halfway there, now you just have to install it. The instructions that came with my PRCAI were very general, as the install procedure is similar to the 4th gen. Unfortunatly my intake rubs against the battery and makes a really annoying creaking noise. Maybe I didn't do something right...I don't know. As far as the Monsterflow filter, I have no clue, mine came with a K&N filter. Maybe someone else will have some insight.
Old 10-28-2002, 08:52 PM

Originally posted by 2K1Lustre
Congrats on the new part! Well you're at least halfway there, now you just have to install it. The instructions that came with my PRCAI were very general, as the install procedure is similar to the 4th gen. Unfortunatly my intake rubs against the battery and makes a really annoying creaking noise. Maybe I didn't do something right...I don't know. As far as the Monsterflow filter, I have no clue, mine came with a K&N filter. Maybe someone else will have some insight.
I was informed from a fellow Maxima geek, like myself, about a rare and useful material to be used as a vibration damper. He explained how to carefully trim the material to factory specification, approx. 2"x4.5", and place between the intake and the battery. (cardboard) He said it is, and I qoute,"getto", but it solves this problem. Thankyou for your info. I will try and come up with a possible custom fabricated stainless steel mounting bracket. I will keep you posted.
Old 10-28-2002, 09:55 PM

Follow the basic instructions listed for the 4th gen. They are basically the same. Get yourself a 3.25" hole saw with a metal drill bit and drill the hole in the fenderwell.

To save you some pain, a MAF, and annoyance, keep the flexible tubing between the "throttle body" and
the piece that connects to the MAF on the throttle body side". Don't use PR's rubber connector for that one joint (where the upper pipe connects to the throttle body). If you use PR's rubber piece, you'll hear a knocking sound when driving, and excess vibration will be submitted to the MAF, causing it to fail prematurely.

If you still have questions, I have the instructions I recieved when I installed mine. I can scan them in and post them somewhere if I need to.
Old 10-29-2002, 05:01 AM

Here are the instructions I used a few months ago:
http://www.geocities.com/nismorg/Maxima/cai.html

I believe these are PIONEER's instructions. They worked well for me. The one thing missing is the removal of the stock airbox since he started with a pop style already in place. I found the pictures to be helpful.

I sold my monster filter (never installed it) and went straight with the k&n.

Good luck
Old 10-29-2002, 03:19 PM

thanks for the tips,as well as the link. I am much more confident that I can install this. Pioneer's site is awsome but the geocity ads make me want to vomit. Great info though. Thankyou both!
Old 10-29-2002, 07:12 PM

Your printer will be your best friend and the printouts work great under the hood. PS: Don't expect the hole saw to slice through there like butter.
Old 10-29-2002, 08:05 PM

Yup, Mdeal's right. It's not gonna cut like butter. At first it seemed like I was getting nowhere but keep the drill straight and put firm pressure on the drill and it will cuth through it. If you're in the Tampa area you can borrow my 3.25" hole cutting saw if you like.
Old 10-30-2002, 10:07 AM

Originally posted by 2K1Lustre
Yup, Mdeal's right. It's not gonna cut like butter. At first it seemed like I was getting nowhere but keep the drill straight and put firm pressure on the drill and it will cuth through it. If you're in the Tampa area you can borrow my 3.25" hole cutting saw if you like.
2K1Lustre, When I first posted this thread, I thought my question was dum. I think it is awsome how evryone comes to the site and offers thier imput on Maxima related item. This is pretty wierd b/c I live in Tampa. I have been looking for other fellow Maxima geeks here but am forced to be Hondafied everywhere I go. Email me at clasalle@tampabay.rr.com and we can exchange necessary info. Maybe you can help with the install. I appreciate the offer for the tools, and I graciously accept. I do not have to many yet. Just married. Do you have any information on any gatherings of the Maxima loving varience. I hope to get plugged in. Only been her 2 yrs. Thankyou all for the tips!
Old 10-30-2002, 05:01 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I just got my PR CAI installed today. And I'm glad I took it into a shop. The drilling part looked a little tough. Plus, I didn't have the right tools. I just want to say that the increase in power is already felt! I had my GReddy EVO put on last week and noticed a loss in the low end, but somehow with the CAI it seems back to how it was before PLUS lots of extra power at the top end. Sounds great with the exhaust. Not too loud at all. Still deciding on whether or not to jump on the Budget bandwagon and spring for the Y-pipe. I'll be posting new pictures on my site this weekend.
Old 10-30-2002, 05:34 PM

Originally posted by JoeJoe
I just got my PR CAI installed today. And I'm glad I took it into a shop. The drilling part looked a little tough. Plus, I didn't have the right tools. I just want to say that the increase in power is already felt! I had my GReddy EVO put on last week and noticed a loss in the low end, but somehow with the CAI it seems back to how it was before PLUS lots of extra power at the top end. Sounds great with the exhaust. Not too loud at all. Still deciding on whether or not to jump on the Budget bandwagon and spring for the Y-pipe. I'll be posting new pictures on my site this weekend.
Isn't the roar awesome! In only gets better as the ECU adjusts to the mods. Filtor1 definitely has a treat waiting for him after the install. The y-pipe is gonna make things louder. I had eveything from the y-pipe back but ended up putting the stock muffler back on because it was too loud. Everyone says the stock muffler is gonna work the best with my CAI, Ypipe, and midpipe combo. I'm still toying with the Greddy muffler idea but it's probably going to be too loud as well.
Old 01-26-2003, 10:16 PM

Size of the filter

what size K&N filter comes with the PR CAI? I need to buy a new one but wasn't sure what size to get.. thanks
Old 01-27-2003, 05:21 AM

what size K&N filter comes with the PR CAI?
Mine came with a Monster Flow filter instead of a K&N. Either way, the pipe opening is 3.25".