5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Nissan service sucks...

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2002, 03:16 AM

Nissan service sucks...

I had a problem with my engine shaking too hard...
so i took it to the dealer to have it checked out and they said
all of my ignition coils had to be replaced...
each costing 80 dollars and six of them...about 600 dollars including labor charge...so i said "nevermind" and they chared me $75 diagnosis ..wtf??...
the next day i took it to my friend's body shop..and mechanic there tells me ignition coil 3, 4 are having problems..only...

i like the car but the service sucks!!!
to be exact..it was the nissan service center in Albany, NY called
"ARMORY CENTER" an official nissan service center..the guy i talked to was Scott...for those who live in Albany, be careful
Old 10-29-2002, 05:53 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Nissan service sucks...

Do a search (top right of page) for COIL* in 5th gen discussion. Get a refund for the diagnosis if you have less than 36,000 miles and you go back to these guys to replace the coils.
Old 10-29-2002, 07:29 AM

I agree Nissan service is the worst out there. There was a survey done and Nissan was at the bottom of the list. I went to the dealer last weekend to get an oil change and state inspection. The state inspections are suppose to be free for life at the dealership you bought the car from. Well I take the car in the guy say Mr. Perry sign (I was an appointement and all paper work was done prior) after they are finished with the car the Idiot charges me for the state inspection.

I bring it to his attention and he says I asked you if you bought the car here and you said no. WTF, why would I say no if I know I bought the car from this dealership. I told him this and he look dumb-founded and say well we will take $15 off your next service.
Old 10-29-2002, 09:18 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by perrymaxima
I agree Nissan service is the worst out there. There was a survey done and Nissan was at the bottom of the list. I went to the dealer last weekend to get an oil change and state inspection. The state inspections are suppose to be free for life at the dealership you bought the car from. Well I take the car in the guy say Mr. Perry sign (I was an appointement and all paper work was done prior) after they are finished with the car the Idiot charges me for the state inspection.

I bring it to his attention and he says I asked you if you bought the car here and you said no. WTF, why would I say no if I know I bought the car from this dealership. I told him this and he look dumb-founded and say well we will take $15 off your next service.
Umm, is this free inspection thing true only at this particular dealership or is it Nissan 'policy' ? Just curious.
Old 10-29-2002, 09:48 AM

Ditto, Ditto, Ditto

I'm so ****ed by the results of my last service, that I cannot see straight!

On HESITATION - they said . . . "It's your K&N [panel] filter element causing it."

On REAR DECK BUZZ - they said . . . "We can't hear a thing."

On WIND NOISE FROM AROUND WINDOWS - they did the TSB foam - this is the 2nd fu(king time they did it! Don't they keep records.

On SLOW TRANSMISSION SHIFTING . . . they said "It's normal."

They did, however, rotate and balance the tires, and that infamous vibration "is gone."

Guess who will not get my car back for the next service???
Old 10-29-2002, 09:52 AM

Actually, I can't guess who, as you neglected to list the dealerships name.
Old 10-29-2002, 09:54 AM
The silent but deadly Moderator

Re: Ditto, Ditto, Ditto

Originally posted by Older Kid
Well, you cant be too angry.. your car wasnt damaged, scratched, stolen or permanently soiled with grease/oil.. we here call that a good visit, regardless of what service was actually performed.
Old 11-01-2002, 06:47 AM

My experience was actually pretty good...

...at Habberstad Nissan in Huntington Station , Long Island NY (631) 439-7037 (is that good olincoles
?? ). They are a 5 star dealership (or what ever classification Nissan gives) and the service department was pretty friendly. I will say that there were 2 issues that I was not pleased with:

1) I called a week prior to have my Bose radio "CD Error" problem fixed. They said that the radio would have to be swapped out so sure enough when I came in on Saturday they said "We don't have it in stock, we'll have to order it".

2) The dim check engine light issue. I brought it in and they said they would have to see it again during the week when the Nissan rep was in (meanwhile, I found the answer on the Org!).

Other than that, they were friendly and courteous and the shop was very clean - especially after looking at some other dealership’s shops in the area. Also, they have a garage where you pull your car inside and then get written up. Rather then parking it in the lot and walking in the inclement weather. I also receive a follow-up phone call after every visit to make sure I was satisfied with the service

If any of the people here are in the area, it might be worth checking out. If nothing else, just drive by and take a look at the operation!
Old 11-01-2002, 06:59 AM

Re: My experience was actually pretty good...

Originally posted by spta97
...at Habberstad Nissan in Huntington Station , Long Island NY (631) 439-7037 (is that good olincoles
?? ). They are a 5 star dealership (or what ever classification Nissan gives) and the service department was pretty friendly. I will say that there were 2 issues that I was not pleased with:

1) I called a week prior to have my Bose radio "CD Error" problem fixed. They said that the radio would have to be swapped out so sure enough when I came in on Saturday they said "We don't have it in stock, we'll have to order it".

2) The dim check engine light issue. I brought it in and they said they would have to see it again during the week when the Nissan rep was in (meanwhile, I found the answer on the Org!).

Other than that, they were friendly and courteous and the shop was very clean - especially after looking at some other dealership’s shops in the area. Also, they have a garage where you pull your car inside and then get written up. Rather then parking it in the lot and walking in the inclement weather. I also receive a follow-up phone call after every visit to make sure I was satisfied with the service

If any of the people here are in the area, it might be worth checking out. If nothing else, just drive by and take a look at the operation!
they're friendly alright, I don't disagree with you. I bought my car from Habberstad...one time I had my sunroof fixed but when I got my car back, I saw that they drove my car for 67 miles!!! After b*tching them out, they finally admitted that they were delivering parts, but mistook my car for one of their own!!! Unbelieveable. They offered all kinds of free maintenance stuff, but I honestly just don't trust them anymore. 67 miles of a lead foot driving...not cool.
Old 11-01-2002, 07:06 AM

Re: Re: My experience was actually pretty good...

Originally posted by Young04

they're friendly alright, I don't disagree with you. I bought my car from Habberstad...one time I had my sunroof fixed but when I got my car back, I saw that they drove my car for 67 miles!!! After b*tching them out, they finally admitted that they were delivering parts, but mistook my car for one of their own!!! Unbelieveable. They offered all kinds of free maintenance stuff, but I honestly just don't trust them anymore. 67 miles of a lead foot driving...not cool.
Ouch. Too bad they didn't do that for me before I finished the break in period. I could have used the help
Old 11-01-2002, 08:36 AM

I haven't tried this yet, but from what I read infiniti service is leaps and bounds above nissan service.. and they do warranty work on the max

so, if you've got an infiniti dealership anywhere around you, you might want to give them a shot especially for anything that may require someone with half a brain to fix
Old 11-01-2002, 08:39 AM

Re: Re: My experience was actually pretty good...

Originally posted by Young04

They delivered parts with your car! Man I would go bezerk. What a class act.
Old 11-01-2002, 08:58 AM

Re: Re: Re: My experience was actually pretty good...

Originally posted by Madd Kidd

They delivered parts with your car! Man I would go bezerk. What a class act.
yeah, i posted about it awhile ago. TimW (moderator) alerted me that delivering parts with my car was a possibility. When I confronted the dealer about it, they fessed up. Just clock your miles when you leave your car.
Old 11-01-2002, 01:31 PM

Another good reason to record your mileage at time of dropoff is to verify that the vehicle was actually test driven a reasonable distance. Can't count the times I've gotten tickets back from the techs with the infamous "no problems found" on a driveability or noise concern and gone out to the car to see the same mileage as when it came in. Also I've made mistakes when writing up cars and recorded the wrong mileage.
Pobody's nerfect!

Lonz
Old 12-07-2002, 07:20 PM

Originally posted by bobcat
I haven't tried this yet, but from what I read infiniti service is leaps and bounds above nissan service.. and they do warranty work on the max

so, if you've got an infiniti dealership anywhere around you, you might want to give them a shot especially for anything that may require someone with half a brain to fix
Have you actually tried taking your Max to an Infiniti dealer for warranty work? I've already tried several times for warranty and recall work. Every time the answer is the same, they can't, at least not for free. They can do the work but can't do the NISSAN warranty claim. I personally WISH I could since the closest Infiniti dealer is a LOT closer to my home and work than the closest Nissan dealer.

The Nissan dealer who I have to go to says, yup that's the policy, just like they can't do warranty work on Infinitis.
Old 12-07-2002, 07:55 PM

:attention

Speaking of Service...How about parts?

Here I go for my second tranny replacement, yup that's right, I'm gonna have my THIRD tranny installed at a mere 10400ish miles...sad

P.S. Grinding into third coming from 6th above 50, grinding when shifting into third after hard acceleration. Oh and the ability to press forward on my shifter while stopped at a light and have my tranny grind (synchro anyone?)...This sucks
Old 12-07-2002, 08:36 PM

Re: Ditto, Ditto, Ditto

Nissan needs to force those services (advisor) people to a class for customer service! I really ****ed at my dealer for doing my services. (still under warranty here)

first visit, one of the light bulb was burned. They changed the bulb then forgotten to put the 2 screws that hold the headlight unit together. I didn't know until 2 weeks later when my headlight shaked when hitting a bump at night.

second visit, this is for the wind noise leak from the rear passenger door. To say the least, it took them 3 times to replace the weather strips and yet there is still problem.

third visit, this was recent. I had a coupon for a tire rotation and balance. Since the dealer was close to where I work, I went ahead and give them another chance. When I got the bill back from them, they charge me for the oil change which I didn't authorized. Instead of apologizing for the mistake, the A$$hole advisor accused me that I told him to have the oil change. I was upset initially, just change my own oil w/Redline synthetic, and this really blowed me. I refused to pay for it and that was that...

I later call the service manager to complain. He acknowlege my complain and told me he'll call me back later that day, which he didn't.

I will take action if I don't receive an apology letter from them. It's not so much of a bad services but my integrity is on stake here. I WISH that the people who run this forum to do us all a favor by senting or forwarding all the complains that were posted to Nissan's customer service head quarter.

Originally posted by Older Kid

On HESITATION - they said . . . "It's your K&N [panel] filter element causing it."

On REAR DECK BUZZ - they said . . . "We can't hear a thing."

On WIND NOISE FROM AROUND WINDOWS - they did the TSB foam - this is the 2nd fu(king time they did it! Don't they keep records.

On SLOW TRANSMISSION SHIFTING . . . they said "It's normal."

They did, however, rotate and balance the tires, and that infamous vibration "is gone."

Guess who will not get my car back for the next service???
:
Old 12-07-2002, 09:14 PM

You know that saying about **** rolling down hill? Well, the only thing here that needs to change is Nissan itself.

I have really disliked the service managers I have met, but 2 of them were really nice guys. They expressed alot of frustation in getting warrant work done. They are really worried that Nissan wont cover a repair. I believe Nissan takes a hard line with repair to keep their costs down.

They can't get reimbursed for the part/repair without approval, like an HMO or something. If they think a part was unnecessarily replaced, the dealer gets stuck with it. I dont know how much truth there is in any of this, but my calls to NNA seem to back this up. They have created this problem. Bottomline, if its a pain in the a$$ to do your warranty work, the dealer is going to treat you like crap. If they get paid well and Nissan gives them some lattitude to troubleshoot, you'll be a happy customer. Its appearent the dealer is just maintaining the cars at some level, not really striving for any customer satisfaction.

I was looking at a new Z today. The salesman asked if I was interested in buying it. I said I doubted I would own another Nissan after the service I have gotten, even tho I loved the car. He admitted he was having a hard time getting repeat buyers and that I was the 3rd person today to unload on him about Nissan service. Its catching up to them.....
Old 12-08-2002, 02:49 AM

Originally posted by TimW
You know that saying about **** rolling down hill? Well, the only thing here that needs to change is Nissan itself.

I have really disliked the service managers I have met, but 2 of them were really nice guys. They expressed alot of frustation in getting warrant work done. They are really worried that Nissan wont cover a repair. I believe Nissan takes a hard line with repair to keep their costs down.

They can't get reimbursed for the part/repair without approval, like an HMO or something. If they think a part was unnecessarily replaced, the dealer gets stuck with it. I dont know how much truth there is in any of this, but my calls to NNA seem to back this up. They have created this problem. Bottomline, if its a pain in the a$$ to do your warranty work, the dealer is going to treat you like crap. If they get paid well and Nissan gives them some lattitude to troubleshoot, you'll be a happy customer. Its appearent the dealer is just maintaining the cars at some level, not really striving for any customer satisfaction.

TimW wins the prize!!

Nissan gives each dealer a dollar amount that they can "spend" on each warranty repair, anything over this amount has to be called in to Nissan and the repair has to be reviewed and approved prior to it being done. Repair amounts are further broken down into categories like glass, trim, goodwill rental, goodwill repair, mechanical, straight-time, etc. The average call time I experienced was about 15 minutes, some longer, some shorter, I know because I always would document the calltimes on the RO. To make it worse, the call center is on California time and is SHUT DOWN for their lunchtime of 12-1pm, or 3-4pm east coast time. With anywhere from 20 to 40 customers a day you can see how quickly the system can back up. Fortunately my service manager, after MANY phonecalls and emails, got our limit set to where we only have to call in for major engine/transmission repairs, the diagnostic limit is still set to one labor hour which is ridiculously low for most electrical problems, and technical support... a joke, my techs all too often get the infamous phone recording "the wait time is currently over 15 minutes, please try again later... click."
Look, I do enjoy my job and working at the Nissan dealership. I have the priviledge of working for the best service manager around. We try to take care of the customer but too often the problem is not at our level but we take the hammering. I can't speak for all dealerships or advisors and God knows I'm not perfect or at all times in a cheery mood, but just imagine if every customer you deal with in your job gets a survey in the mail and rates you on how you did and the service they got and the product and alot of the factors are out of your control and your paycheck is DIRECTLY affected by said survey... its like tapdancing in a minefield.
Hope this doesn't come across as rant'ish.

Regards,
Lonz

2k2 SE 6spd
Frankencar Intake (otw)
Bomz FSTB
Cattman RSB
UR UDP (installing Monday )
Old 12-08-2002, 11:30 AM

you know, that explains the problem we have with dropping the car off and them not touching it. I had my rough idle problem and they were calling to get approval for a diag and a new set of plugs. They said they couldnt get thru to Nissan. Having been 2 days without the car, I got a bit pushy and the service manager (one of the ones I depise the most) said 'well, I talked to my boss and he says we'll just buy you the plugs and see if Nissan will pay for them later.' From my understanding, Nissan didnt. Much later the coil TSB came out and it all made sense, but they had little freedom to find the problem without it costing them directly.

I never let them off the hook for soiling my carpets with grease, scratching something or sloppy repair work... but past that, I know these guys are caught in the middle. I feel sorry for them and try not to rip them a new one. I usually get set off by them being condescending or not listening to me at all. Since that seems to be a high percentage of service staff, I suspect that attitude is the result of Nissans policies.

They said I've had 2 trips charged to the dealers sales dept because it was something 'goodwill' that nissan wouldnt cover. Sad...
Old 12-08-2002, 02:38 PM

Originally posted by Lonz

TimW wins the prize!!

Nissan gives each dealer a dollar amount that they can "spend" on each warranty repair, anything over this amount has to be called in to Nissan and the repair has to be reviewed and approved prior to it being done. Repair amounts are further broken down into categories like glass, trim, goodwill rental, goodwill repair, mechanical, straight-time, etc. The average call time I experienced was about 15 minutes, some longer, some shorter, I know because I always would document the calltimes on the RO. To make it worse, the call center is on California time and is SHUT DOWN for their lunchtime of 12-1pm, or 3-4pm east coast time. With anywhere from 20 to 40 customers a day you can see how quickly the system can back up. Fortunately my service manager, after MANY phonecalls and emails, got our limit set to where we only have to call in for major engine/transmission repairs, the diagnostic limit is still set to one labor hour which is ridiculously low for most electrical problems, and technical support... a joke, my techs all too often get the infamous phone recording "the wait time is currently over 15 minutes, please try again later... click."
Look, I do enjoy my job and working at the Nissan dealership. I have the priviledge of working for the best service manager around. We try to take care of the customer but too often the problem is not at our level but we take the hammering. I can't speak for all dealerships or advisors and God knows I'm not perfect or at all times in a cheery mood, but just imagine if every customer you deal with in your job gets a survey in the mail and rates you on how you did and the service they got and the product and alot of the factors are out of your control and your paycheck is DIRECTLY affected by said survey... its like tapdancing in a minefield.
Hope this doesn't come across as rant'ish.

Regards,
Lonz

2k2 SE 6spd
Frankencar Intake (otw)
Bomz FSTB
Cattman RSB
UR UDP (installing Monday )
I do understand what you are saying in regards to the kind of work that the service personels have to go through. The hardest part of any job is to deal with people (the angry/ignorance) type...think he/she knows it all. Believe me, I've been in this customer service business throughout my college years. That was the reason why I had giving my dealer that many chances. But, I got stabbed on the back by being accused of lying. That has to be the worst thing to say to any customers (especially in front of their face)...even though sometimes they are wrong. Perhaps if they would have taken the honest approach, and explain to their customers like you have mentioned aboved. I am sure most customers will sympathized with the situation. It's all depends on how ones deal with the situation. That is why I think that Nissan/Service managers need to address these issues, perhaps a workshop? to educate their personnels how to handle the "complaining" customers in a manner that will be beneficial to both party. Ultimately, it is the dealer duty to satisfy the customer if they want the customer to come back.