5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

NEED Help w/vibrating steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2002, 01:55 PM
SoloMaxima

NEED Help w/vibrating steering wheel

ok..my rotors are warped and still haven't gotten it fixed yet....and when i drive at about 65 and above my left side of the steering wheel vibrates...maybe the whole steering wheel....i don't know if its due to the warped rotors...or maybe my left tire doesn't have enought air...the left tire does seem a little deflated...
anyone know what is causing my steering to vibrate..??

thanx..

Old 11-02-2002, 04:12 PM

Check your tire pressure on all wheels. It might be that.
Old 11-02-2002, 04:21 PM

Re: NEED Help w/vibrating steering wheel

Originally posted by SoloMaxima
ok..my rotors are warped and still haven't gotten it fixed yet....and when i drive at about 65 and above my left side of the steering wheel vibrates...maybe the whole steering wheel....i don't know if its due to the warped rotors...or maybe my left tire doesn't have enought air...the left tire does seem a little deflated...

thanx..
I'm having the same problem with my 2001 now. I only have 18k miles on the car, is possible that I have warped rotors? If I bring my car to the dealership will they fix the problem?
Old 11-02-2002, 04:57 PM
SoloMaxima

Re: Re: NEED Help w/vibrating steering wheel

Originally posted by krazyd

I'm having the same problem with my 2001 now. I only have 18k miles on the car, is possible that I have warped rotors? If I bring my car to the dealership will they fix the problem?
i'm not sure...but i'm gonna bring my car in to get the warped rotors fixed...they should fix it under warranty...bring a copy of the tsb also..
does your steering wheel vibrate when you brake from 65 and up..?? or just when you drive fast..??
mines vibrate when i brake and when i drive fast(65 and up)..

Old 11-02-2002, 05:08 PM

Re: NEED Help w/vibrating steering wheel

thanx..
Most likely the rotors. Mine does the same. People installing your wheels should torque them ON (doesn't matter when they take them off), but most (if any ) don't do this.

BTW, you're right, there is a TSB for it.

kafene.
Old 11-02-2002, 05:29 PM

Re: Re: NEED Help w/vibrating steering wheel

Originally posted by kafene

Most likely the rotors. Mine does the same. People installing your wheels should torque them ON (doesn't matter when they take them off), but most (if any ) don't do this.

BTW, you're right, there is a TSB for it.

kafene.
If the vibration occurs when braking then it is the rotors. But if just while driving approx above 60mph then it is the balancing. Good luck....
Old 11-02-2002, 05:42 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

definetly rotors. it happend to my steering wheel, jutters and vibrates. I'm planning to get a set of the Cross-drilled rotors from the GD.
Old 11-02-2002, 07:36 PM

This problem occurs in my 2k1 Maxima whenever I brake. It feels like I have to force the pedal to floor in order to stop my car, plus the leftside of the steering wheel shakes real bad. I actually don't like driving my car when it's raining outside b/c i'm scared that I won't be able to stop. Anyways, do you think I should bring my car to the dealership and have them replace the warped rotors with new ones? Also, does anyone have this TSB in a *.PDF file so I can present it to them when I bring in the car?
Old 11-02-2002, 07:39 PM

what group deal?

Originally posted by TaiwanMaxima
definetly rotors. it happend to my steering wheel, jutters and vibrates. I'm planning to get a set of the Cross-drilled rotors from the GD.
Where are you guys getting the rotors from? and how much?

kafene.

krazyd,

Regarding the TSB, I'm sure it's on the web somewhere, although I don't know where. If you want a PDF, I can scan a print out and send you a PDF, but that won't be until Tuesday PM at the earliest.

kafene.
Old 11-02-2002, 07:42 PM

I would buy the Brembo Cross-Drilled/Slotted rotors from South West Autoworks, but considering the fact that the car was bought brand new in February of this year, I want Nissan to fix the problem. The car has only 14k miles on it and rotors are messed up already. That's unacceptable in my book.
Old 11-02-2002, 08:05 PM

My **** is the opposite, When i get past 75 im cool but when im stuck in traffic which is typical in LA my **** shakes like crazy. It started after i changed my springs which im sure is the problem but damn im starting to say **** it, I want to put my stock springs back on and screw the wheel gap at least ill be driving smooth.
Old 11-02-2002, 09:00 PM

Re: what group deal?

Originally posted by kafene

Where are you guys getting the rotors from? and how much?

kafene.

krazyd,

Regarding the TSB, I'm sure it's on the web somewhere, although I don't know where. If you want a PDF, I can scan a print out and send you a PDF, but that won't be until Tuesday PM at the earliest.

kafene.
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=132897

$200 for a set of four plus shipping
Old 11-02-2002, 09:41 PM

Re: Re: what group deal?

Originally posted by TaiwanMaxima

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=132897

$200 for a set of four plus shipping
I rather get the Brembo rotors...
Old 11-02-2002, 10:50 PM

Do they sell any for the 2k2 maxima?
Old 11-03-2002, 12:23 AM
SoloMaxima

i can find the tsb for the 2k but not for the 2k1...is it the same and will it work...?
does anyone have the tsb for the 2k1..?

Old 11-03-2002, 12:33 AM

On my '01 I noticed that my stock 17's were causing my steering wheel vibration between 45mph-75mph...I have 18's now & no problem....& when I put on my aftermarket 17" winter rims I have no problem either...so from my experience I pointed the finger at my stock 17's
Old 11-03-2002, 06:03 AM

i can find the tsb for the 2k but not for the 2k1...is it the same and will it work...?
does anyone have the tsb for the 2k1..?
I don't think a dealership will take a 2000 Maxima's TSB and use it for the same problem on a 2001.
Old 11-03-2002, 09:00 AM
SoloMaxima

I don't think a dealership will take a 2000 Maxima's TSB and use it for the same problem on a 2001.
yea, your right..i'm just gonna bring it in without the tsb and see if they will fix it under warranty...

Old 11-03-2002, 01:41 PM

This problem occurs in my 2k1 Maxima whenever I brake. It feels like I have to force the pedal to floor in order to stop my car, plus the leftside of the steering wheel shakes real bad. I actually don't like driving my car when it's raining outside b/c i'm scared that I won't be able to stop. Anyways, do you think I should bring my car to the dealership and have them replace the warped rotors with new ones? Also, does anyone have this TSB in a *.PDF file so I can present it to them when I bring in the car?
WHAt they may do it either resurface the old rotors and replace the pads or both alltogether. The initial problem w/ nissan oe rotors is that they were to thick originally from the factory therefor the disipitation of heat is retained causing rotors to warp. I wouldn't be to concern about finding the tsb, most dealers aware shameful problem. But u may encounter a d!ck at the counter, and that's when u come back w/ tsb and throw in their face. In regards to getting brembo is your best bet, most likely it will occur again. But get Nissan to fix first.....