5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Wet Nose Mask woes.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2002, 02:30 PM

Wet Nose Mask woes.....

Well, I pushed it too far last month and let my WET nose mask DRY ON my car........BAD FRIGGIN' IDEA!!!

Took it off today to wax, and sure enough the front bumper has got that nasty white haze all over it from the condensation build-up.

ANYBODY know how to take this crap off the plastic bumper???

Mequiars Paint Cleaner (step 1) was a total bust.....I'm up for ANY suggestions at this point.

Dammit - I HATE when I do that!!!!!!!!!!!

g.r.
Old 11-02-2002, 05:15 PM

Re: Wet Nose Mask woes.....

Originally posted by ghostrider17
Well, I pushed it too far last month and let my WET nose mask DRY ON my car........BAD FRIGGIN' IDEA!!!

Took it off today to wax, and sure enough the front bumper has got that nasty white haze all over it from the condensation build-up.

Mequiars Paint Cleaner (step 1) was a total bust.....I'm up for ANY suggestions at this point.

g.r.
Didn't even know it did that ! Maybe I never noticed because I have a white Max... I haven't put on the nose part of the mask for over a year and a half because I felt it damaged the paint from putting it on and off so often before I wash it.

How about trying a REALLY fine grit polishing/rubbing compound. I've used it here and there on my white Max and have noticed that it does not leave scratch marks, but you can FEEL the fine grit. (OF COURSE, TRY IN ON A SMALL, INCONSPICUOUS SPOT FIRST, SINCE YOUR CAR IS BLACK). On a black car (I've had two previous), you can see the dust prints from a fly's ***

kafene.
Old 11-02-2002, 08:45 PM

Re: Wet Nose Mask woes.....

g.r.
Keep it out of direct sun for a few days. There's a good chance that it'll clear up. This depends on how severe the clouding is.
Old 11-02-2002, 08:54 PM

Re: Re: Wet Nose Mask woes.....

Originally posted by makeHerPurr

Keep it out of direct sun for a few days. There's a good chance that it'll clear up. This depends on how severe the clouding is.
Basically don't drive it during the day?

Just wondering though. Wouldn't it be better to leave it IN the sun to let it dry out?

kafene.
Old 11-03-2002, 08:33 AM

Basking in the Sun.....

Strangely enough, I inadvertantly left it in the direct sunlight, and seems to have cleared-up a bit!

Woo-HOO!

I had some good Mequiars polishing compound, but drove over the bottle and killed it last time I wax. DOH!!!

Will try that if there's still some residual haze left on the front.

I'll keep you posted - if you care!

thanks for your input.

g.r.
Old 11-04-2002, 06:07 AM

Re: Basking in the Sun.....

Strangely enough, I inadvertantly left it in the direct sunlight, and seems to have cleared-up a bit!

Woo-HOO!

I had some good Mequiars polishing compound, but drove over the bottle and killed it last time I wax. DOH!!!

Will try that if there's still some residual haze left on the front.

I'll keep you posted - if you care!

thanks for your input.

g.r.
This happened on my old car (91 Stanza). I let it sit out in the sun and it cleared up. Unfortunatly when the wet weather came around again and the temperature changed, the spots came back. I just ended up accepting it and ignored it when the cooler weather came about.
Old 11-04-2002, 07:07 AM

that sucks. never leave the mask on. i only use mine when i go on trips.

i know people who have left the masks on for a period of time and they have had the paint mismatch, because the paint not under the mask fades.

can you feel this build-up on the paint or is it just a visual thing?? i'm going to look into it for you.

good luck. and uhm, the meguirs products in the reddish bottle are not quality products. the ones in the beige bottles are better.
Old 11-04-2002, 07:10 AM
jjs

Must be the quality of the paint. I had full nose masks on both my '88 Mustang and '93 Prelude (dark red and honda red) and went through daily Florida thunderstorms and then high heat right afterward without taking them off for weeks on end. ABSOLUTELY no problems at all.
Old 11-04-2002, 06:08 PM

Maybe you were lucky or conditions make a difference.

Originally posted by jjs
Must be the quality of the paint. I had full nose masks on both my '88 Mustang and '93 Prelude (dark red and honda red) and went through daily Florida thunderstorms and then high heat right afterward without taking them off for weeks on end. ABSOLUTELY no problems at all.
You can see a distinct tint difference in the silver hood of my wife's Honda Civic from the hood portion of the mask.

kafene.
Old 11-05-2002, 02:54 PM

Yea, don't sand it, polish it, it's not on the surface. It's the paint. Probably the clear coat, pores or something. BUt if it hazes up, just let it sit out in the sun, the best, and after a couple of days, it'll go away. I think it's the platic/paint combo, moisture thing.. I had it when I first got the car. My dealer told me that they even come like that from the factory when they take the white plastic off the paint. Nissan told them to use hair dryers or heat gun to dry it or just leave it uncovered and it'll go away.