5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Now that the cold weather is here,certain noises ...normal?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2000, 06:15 PM

First of all I finally got my "loose" drivers seat fixed...thing would feel like it was going to pop off its tracks if I took a corner faster than 5 mph. They replaced the adjuster assembly #87450-89908 and a clip #86901-2J020. Though this might be good info if you have a GXE or SE with a non-powered seat. Thing is nice and tight now

I also had them check for a clunk noise that I get when I apply the brakes...dont hear or feel it until you put hard pressure on the brake(right when you are coming up to the light) In testing in my driveway just inching along hitting the brakes I hear it pretty good...sound like they are grabbing...I really only have noticed this since its been colder out....I searched for problems with brakes but did not find anything that pertained to this. I also have found that when I put my car in drive in the cold, it sounds like it groans its way into drive..like a elastic band Normal for the real cold weather?

How about the clunk when apply pressure to the brakes..any ideas....of course the dealer said they couldnt hear anything out of the normal...it took me awhile to convince the dealer that there was a problem with the seat...only reason it got fixed was because a friend got his fixed for the same problem....nice how they fixed his but deny that there is a problem with mine...damn..I even asked about this issue before he got his fixed and the same Nissan Field rep that told me my squeaky engine mounts were normal told me the seat was normal to be loose and shaky due to all the moving parts in there. Nice CS eh? Bunch of idiots.... 4th Gen 5spd looking better and better
Old 12-27-2000, 07:36 PM

Aside from the occasional A-pillar "ticking" all I hear is my intake gasping the 28 degree air and making my Max pull harder than any other time of the year :-)

no problems with the brakes clunking, but I do think the brand new rotors they gave me 3,000 miles ago are begining to warp already. Guess that answers my question if they upgraded the part.
Old 12-27-2000, 07:51 PM

So far my new rotors are great, but I only have 1000 miles on them.

Originally posted by sprung
Aside from the occasional A-pillar "ticking" all I hear is my intake gasping the 28 degree air and making my Max pull harder than any other time of the year :-)

no problems with the brakes clunking, but I do think the brand new rotors they gave me 3,000 miles ago are begining to warp already. Guess that answers my question if they upgraded the part.
Old 12-27-2000, 08:32 PM

brakes

I hear a "clunk", too. It seems to be louder in reverse though. The brakes really squeak until they warm up, too. When the engine is cold, keeping a steady speed sucks because the fuel cuts off. Love how the exhaust rumbles when it's cold, too It sounds like an aftermarket one. My stereo faceplates creak. I'm gonna get it replaced in the spring. No other squeaks or groans.