5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Need honest opinions about Injen...

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2002, 10:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Need honest opinions about Injen...

I have already ordered the Injen intake, so I don't want this to turn into another CAI vs WAI thread. I really just want to hear from Injen owners. How long have you had your intake installed? Any problems? What type of gains (Anyone dyno'd one yet?)? How long to install? Etc...

I've already used the search, thank you! Didn't really find what I was looking for. Seems like every time this topic comes up, it turns into a debate.

Again, I don't want to debate... just want to hear how pleased (or not) you guys are with your Injen intakes.

Thanks.
Old 11-11-2002, 11:50 PM

I'll tell you after I put mine on Thursday!!!
Old 11-12-2002, 12:50 AM

Re: Need honest opinions about Injen...

Originally posted by SG01MaxSE
I have already ordered the Injen intake, so I don't want this to turn into another CAI vs WAI thread. I really just want to hear from Injen owners. How long have you had your intake installed? Any problems? What type of gains (Anyone dyno'd one yet?)? How long to install? Etc...

I've already used the search, thank you! Didn't really find what I was looking for. Seems like every time this topic comes up, it turns into a debate.

Again, I don't want to debate... just want to hear how pleased (or not) you guys are with your Injen intakes.

Thanks.
Had mine for about six months, no problems at all. No dyno, sorry. Install in about 35 minutes for me. I love mine. Great sound at WOT, barely noticeable at all til around 3k RPMs.
Old 11-12-2002, 04:11 AM
Blu
the tits

massive low end advantage over my wai I swapped out for winter
Old 11-12-2002, 04:31 AM

Hey guys, as far as the INJEN goes, what about sound levels when combined with an exhaust? I have a HKS exhaust that is kinda throaty now, and would like to add the INJEN as long as it doesn't make the car sound like a rice rocket. BTW, the HKS is loudest between 1500 and 3000 RPM.

RichK
Old 11-12-2002, 04:35 AM
Blu
the tits

Originally posted by RichK
Hey guys, as far as the INJEN goes, what about sound levels when combined with an exhaust? I have a HKS exhaust that is kinda throaty now, and would like to add the INJEN as long as it doesn't make the car sound like a rice rocket. BTW, the HKS is loudest between 1500 and 3000 RPM.

RichK
well the injen is quiet until 3k rpm's
Old 11-12-2002, 05:56 AM

i noticed a little quicker throttle response.
there is some whistling though, i dont know if everyone's got that though.
install was easy and i'm a perfectionist when it comes to this stuff. only hard part is installing the lower tube with the filter on. i had a friend hold the tube wile i crawled under the car and tightened the hose clamp from there. i also wiped down the insides of the tubes cause they looked like they had some residue left from the polishing.

does anyone know how often you need to replace the filter? or how do you clean/reoil it?
Old 11-12-2002, 06:30 AM

Originally posted by SG01MaxSE

Thanks.
I put mine in last Friday evening. I do things rather slowly and it only took approximately 90 minutes to remove the stock air box and install the Injen. I'll echo what others say and that it's not noticable until 3K+. If the included instructions are lacking, there is a good writeup at www.greghome.com/. I wiped down the long tube (as per Larrio) with a rag to get any residue out before installation but didn't notice much. One thing I am really pleased with is that the bogging down that seems to occur right after you press the throttle (not WOT) and the jerking you feel while decelerating (lifting off the throttle) has virtually disappeared. Oh, be careful when fitting the long bent tube; I got a little careless and rubbed off part of the decals. Mine now says "njen tec logy".
Old 11-12-2002, 07:11 AM

I think the Injen is a very high quality piece of work, but lately I have been noticing what I am fairly sure is a very slight spark knock when accelerating, usually in second gear but it can occasionally be heard in third.

Upon searching the forum I noticed a few threads related to spark knock, and one guy with a 2K2 who is pretty sure his Frankencar intake is to blame.

I am wondering if we are slowly uncovering an as-yet unknown problem with these CAIs. I may swap back my stock intake this weekend just to see if the problem goes away. I would hate to remove that beautiful intake, but if for whatever reason it is causing spark knock then I am going to go back to stock and call it quits!
Old 11-12-2002, 07:13 AM

Thanks for the replies everybody.

I ordered the Injen, springs, and a FSTB, from three different places, and according to UPS, all of them will be here by this weekend. Woo-hoo!!! Hope the weather cooperates.

I read about the residue inside the pipe (he-he). Is that just being found in the polished intakes? I bought the red one. I guess I'll probably wipe it down anyway, just to be sure.
Old 11-12-2002, 08:21 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I like mine

It's not really that when you hit 3K you hear it, it's based on vacum pressure when you punch it. You can accelerate easy all the way up and barely hear it you try. But when the pressure drops to 0 (I think that's right) at WOT, it roars. Not like a ricer fartpipe at all.
Old 11-12-2002, 08:51 AM
2-Wheelin it...

Re: I like mine

for those that wanna know how it sounds....
http://www.enlyt.com/polo/InjenCAI/

there's a post floating around explaining all this.

and yes, i still love it. no problems what so ever.
Old 11-12-2002, 08:55 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I love the injen, especially during these colder times.. I've got about 4k miles on mine and it's just awesome. I was told by someone in an is300 that it sounded like a camaro ss when I was at WOT.
Old 11-12-2002, 11:38 AM

Luv my Injen

I love my Injen. Sound is perfect...not ricey...very muscular. HP gains were worth the cost. Looks great under the hood. I wrapped mine with header wrap you can get at most specialty stores. This should help the knock issue b/c without the wrap, the pipe gets almost too hot to touch since its very close to the engine.

Old 11-12-2002, 01:41 PM

Damn... rain in the forecast for this weekend. Guess I'll have to take Monday off to work on the car!

Gotta get some pics too. You guys' intakes look good! What do you do when cleaning up the engine? Just put a plastic bag over the filter, or what?
Old 11-12-2002, 03:26 PM
I miss the .org!

I haven't dynoed with my Injen CAI yet, but I do feel a little more low-end pull. But regardless, the sound and the way it looks in the engine bay is awesome too!
Old 11-12-2002, 03:26 PM

Should of done a search. I found info instantly on the Injen intake.