5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Why don't we sue Nissan for our 15hp? (2k2 Guys)

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2002, 12:41 PM

Question to all in this 11 page thread. Now the claim is the 255 Hp rating is actually dynoing at say 205ish. The Altima is rated 240, and is putting down 205ish too right? So what you are saying is the max should have more hp than an altima. My only thing here is that is a totally different car. The exhaust system is going to be differnt, maybe their headers flow better than ours, maybe the ports are a bit larger, maybe the gear ratio is a bit different. How about tire size? do they run 225/50/17's? maybe their overall tire dia. is different causing a different final drive ratio.
I know all the cars of today have their HP rating at the crank, and to get one done you need to take the engine out, and that is costly just to dyno. I cannot find somebody to mandrel bend me some steel let alone do a flywheel dyno. I dyno'd my 2K1 last weekend, and got my 20% loss of hp through the trans and exhaust. That crushed resonator? what is up with that? has anyone crawled under a Altima and looked at their exhaust system? Is it the same as ours?
I just think these are 2 different cars, and cannot be compared as such. Yes you bought a 255 hp maxima, dynoed runs 205, I bought a 222 hp max, and dynoed 174 hp. But that was understood as a flywheel rating. I think the Altima guys just got lucky with the ability to put down the same numbers, with maybe less loss in their system.
Besides, I bought my Max because the interior was nicer, the look and feel was nicer than that of the Altima.

Just my .02

have fun, and prey for Snow!
Old 11-16-2002, 04:42 PM
Banned

I'm curious to see and know what my car dyno's; I'm in if I can find a place to dyno on LI.
Old 11-16-2002, 09:10 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by VQ30GTR
Question to all in this 11 page thread. Now the claim is the 255 Hp rating is actually dynoing at say 205ish. The Altima is rated 240, and is putting down 205ish too right? So what you are saying is the max should have more hp than an altima. My only thing here is that is a totally different car. The exhaust system is going to be differnt, maybe their headers flow better than ours, maybe the ports are a bit larger, maybe the gear ratio is a bit different. How about tire size? do they run 225/50/17's? maybe their overall tire dia. is different causing a different final drive ratio.
I know all the cars of today have their HP rating at the crank, and to get one done you need to take the engine out, and that is costly just to dyno. I cannot find somebody to mandrel bend me some steel let alone do a flywheel dyno. I dyno'd my 2K1 last weekend, and got my 20% loss of hp through the trans and exhaust. That crushed resonator? what is up with that? has anyone crawled under a Altima and looked at their exhaust system? Is it the same as ours?
I just think these are 2 different cars, and cannot be compared as such. Yes you bought a 255 hp maxima, dynoed runs 205, I bought a 222 hp max, and dynoed 174 hp. But that was understood as a flywheel rating. I think the Altima guys just got lucky with the ability to put down the same numbers, with maybe less loss in their system.
Besides, I bought my Max because the interior was nicer, the look and feel was nicer than that of the Altima.

Just my .02

the altimas have 17 inch wheels also if you get the V6, and about teh exhaust being different yes, the setup are different between the cars BUTTTTTTT when you do an engine dyno which measures crank HP and is what nissan is supposed to use to quote hp numbers you need the engine, intake and full exhaust setups hooked to it and then they measure the HP, so the exhaust setups won't affect teh overall rating because the number quoted was with all of that in place.

and chi02max, it would be most helpful to have stock number to compare that to, maybe your car dynoes lower then other maximas i can't really say, but when you get yoru stock dyno done soon i'll be very interested in seeing it.
Old 11-16-2002, 09:59 PM

Originally posted by VQ30GTR

Just my .02

I agree totally, i bought the maxima over the altima because to me the maxima is a much nicer care, esp. inside.....15 horsepower? whatever
Old 11-17-2002, 02:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by Dave B
Back in 2001 when the power numbers for the 2002 Maxima and Altima were released, I noted how odd it was that the 3.5VQ in the Maxima and Altima were rated at the same amount of torque and at the same RPM yet the Maxima was to make 15hp more than the Altima. This is impossible. HP is computed from torque at a given RPM therefore if both the Maxima and Altima are rated at the same torque at the same RPM, they have the same HP (ie same motor).

It is possible, theoretically the Maxima's VQ TQ shouldn't drop off as fast as the Altima's VQ after they both peak...

...But we all know that isn't the case since they have basically the same curve
Old 11-17-2002, 02:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Anyone have proof that 4th gear is actually a 1:1 ratio? I thought the 6speed was the same unit on the Sentra SE-R SpecV. If that was the case, I beleive the 4th gear ratio on that car is a .95:1
Old 11-17-2002, 03:04 PM

Originally posted by Loe Ish Lao
Anyone have proof that 4th gear is actually a 1:1 ratio? I thought the 6speed was the same unit on the Sentra SE-R SpecV. If that was the case, I beleive the 4th gear ratio on that car is a .95:1
yes it's 1:1 many of us have the 2k2 FSM and every spec on just about everything is listed in there.
Old 11-17-2002, 03:07 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by dmbmaxima2k2

yes it's 1:1 many of us have the 2k2 FSM and every spec on just about everything is listed in there.
4th gear is actually 1.055:1
Old 11-17-2002, 03:30 PM

Originally posted by Y2K2Driver

4th gear is actually 1.055:1
and that's prolly the closest gear you'll find on almost any stick.
not that that had much to do with anything anyway, the most accurate numbers we are gonna get are from the auto's. they both are the same tranny with the same 240 hp engine and guess what they both put down about 192-196hp at the wheels. the 6-spd is good for consistency in low numbers but the auto numbers are gonna be undenialbe for nissan.
Old 11-17-2002, 05:39 PM

steve,
if there any updates?
Old 11-17-2002, 05:41 PM

Originally posted by BioMaxDDS
steve,
if there any updates?
nothing too new. i'm still trying to get dynoes, i really need 2k3 dynoes mostly auto and more altima dynoes too. the lawyer is also going to start looking for an automotive engineer to attest to the dyno numbers ect... this week will be a big week i think.
Old 11-19-2002, 12:31 AM
Ludicrous Speed

nothing too new. i'm still trying to get dynoes, i really need 2k3 dynoes mostly auto and more altima dynoes too. the lawyer is also going to start looking for an automotive engineer to attest to the dyno numbers ect... this week will be a big week i think.
So what exactly is everyone going to push for? A slight refund or a buy-back so you can get the 2k3's. If they do the buy-back then it's gonna suck for all the 2k2's with mods. I'd rather get enough cash in return to regain that 15HP, that way Nissan won't be too much farther from ever making a really good tranny.
Old 11-19-2002, 06:34 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by max002
[B]

In the end you'll get more than you initially paid for, so either way, with the upgrade of the lost h/p or compensation. From what i understand.....but i'm no lawyer
Old 11-19-2002, 08:16 AM

Originally posted by max002

So what exactly is everyone going to push for? A slight refund or a buy-back so you can get the 2k3's. If they do the buy-back then it's gonna suck for all the 2k2's with mods. I'd rather get enough cash in return to regain that 15HP, that way Nissan won't be too much farther from ever making a really good tranny.
It will be a cold day in hell before Nissan ever does a buyback, especially for something as small as this, relatively speaking of course.
Old 11-19-2002, 09:47 AM
Ludicrous Speed

They should refund you enough cash for a s/c
Old 11-19-2002, 12:13 PM

Originally posted by Y2K2Driver

It will be a cold day in hell before Nissan ever does a buyback, especially for something as small as this, relatively speaking of course.
I wouldn't call the exactly small, it was one of their main marketing keys on selling the max, the new upgraded 255 h/p. You're paid for it, so you might as well receive it.....all these depressing emails that are saying 2k2's are wasting their time is horse****, a lawyer wouldn't tell you that you have a very good and interesting case if it wasn't true, because he doesn't get paid unless something comes out of it, so i doubt he'd just be wasting him time for nothing.....what you think Steve?
Old 11-19-2002, 12:22 PM
jjs

Originally posted by johnvt1111

I wouldn't call the exactly small, it was one of their main marketing keys on selling the max, the new upgraded 255 h/p. You're paid for it, so you might as well receive it.....all these depressing emails that are saying 2k2's are wasting their time is horse****, a lawyer wouldn't tell you that you have a very good and interesting case if it wasn't true, because he doesn't get paid unless something comes out of it, so i doubt he'd just be wasting him time for nothing.....what you think Steve?
As some of us have indicated before...can you PROVE you did not receive it????

Also, a lawyer will tell you ANYTHING to get a case, expecially if part of it is billable hours or retainer driven until a settlement. I don't recall seeing anywhere that a lawyer has or even gave an idea that he/she will work on this as a contingency.

Horsesh!t, by the way, is statements and comments like yours, not those of us who level headedly are simply stating FACTS!!!
Old 11-19-2002, 01:13 PM

Originally posted by jjs

As some of us have indicated before...can you PROVE you did not receive it????

Also, a lawyer will tell you ANYTHING to get a case, expecially if part of it is billable hours or retainer driven until a settlement. I don't recall seeing anywhere that a lawyer has or even gave an idea that he/she will work on this as a contingency.

Horsesh!t, by the way, is statements and comments like yours, not those of us who level headedly are simply stating FACTS!!!
Well i know the lawyer very very well, and he's been talking to steve and looking at the dynos' so i guess you can't read and aren't informed that the lawyer is looking for a automotive engineer that can confirm these claims, and plus you must know squat about the law, because unless there are straight up hourly fees a lawyer will not take a case they don't think is winable. With the type of case this is, you basically only take it if it is winable. We all win find out if it is possible to win when the lawyer talks with the automotive engineer.

ps. I think you need to stop watching so much tv and learn some real facts about how not all lawyers are ****heads following ambulances to try and get personal injury settlements
Old 11-19-2002, 01:24 PM
jjs

Well i know the lawyer very very well, and he's been talking to steve and looking at the dynos' so i guess you can't read and aren't informed that the lawyer is looking for a automotive engineer that can confirm these claims, and plus you must know squat about the law, because unless there are straight up hourly fees a lawyer will not take a case they don't think is winable. With the type of case this is, you basically only take it if it is winable. We all win find out if it is possible to win when the lawyer talks with the automotive engineer.

ps. I think you need to stop watching so much tv and learn some real facts about how not all lawyers are ****heads following ambulances to try and get personal injury settlements
Park the attitude bubba.

What the hell does my literacy have to do with the fact that the lawyer has to look for an automotive engineer to go over dynos? As I stated in other threads...255 is bench HP, not real world figures based upon ESTIMATED parasitic losses. Unless you want to rip the engine out of your car to prove the crank HP is underrated, good luck.

You happen to know the lawyer very well...that right there makes it different than us trying to find one. His responsiveness to you is ALREADY BIASED and not what would be found 'cold calling'

I believe you need remedial LEGAL 101 if you don't think that is the way of the world. Lawyers will often take cases they may not think are outright 'winable', but will undertake them with sights set on settlements.

ps: I think YOU need to remove head from **** region and spend some time in the real world.
Old 11-19-2002, 01:39 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

(to all) dont reduced this to personal attacks, this thread wont do anyone any good locked or trashed...

Instead of pointing out someone's deficiencies in understanding the law, why not bring some fact instead?
Old 11-19-2002, 02:23 PM

HE STARTED IT

j/k sorry, just trying to justify the correctness of this case, we all know that the 255 h/p is based on the crack not at the wheels. So for everyone who is interested in getting what they want this thread is for you
Old 11-19-2002, 02:38 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

HE STARTED IT

j/k sorry, just trying to justify the correctness of this case, we all know that the 255 h/p is based on the crack not at the wheels. So for everyone who is interested in getting what they want this thread is for you
So what's a "crack"? Or is that what Nissan marketing was smoking when they pulled 255hp out of the air.
Old 11-19-2002, 02:48 PM

My dad has the new Hyundai Sonata, which was marketed as 181 hp, but turns out to be only like 170hp...

Anyway, Hyundai sent him a letter of apology shortly after purchase, along with a form giving us 3 options

#1 increase 10/100,000 year to 12/120,000 year powertrain warranty
#2 increase 5 year 60,000 bumper to bumper to 7 year 72,000 bumper to bumper
#3 unlimited roadside assistance

Just thought you guys might be interested in this for comparison... Fight for what you believe you paid for!!!!

-Tom
Old 11-19-2002, 02:50 PM

HE STARTED IT

Crank or not, it's not hard to prove that the altima makes the same at the wheels as our car, with the same auto tranny/engine set up. So, without pulling engines out you have a case, unless Nissan wants to argue that our maximas swallow up 15hp somehow.

Perhaps it was in the paint that is removing itself from my hood.
Old 11-19-2002, 03:00 PM
The Definitive AE Master

Originally posted by DrVolkl

Crank or not, it's not hard to prove that the altima makes the same at the wheels as our car, with the same auto tranny/engine set up. So, without pulling engines out you have a case, unless Nissan wants to argue that our maximas swallow up 15hp somehow.

Perhaps it was in the paint that is removing itself from my hood.
i agree.. same engine, same tranny with the same hp put down to the wheels on cars advertised at different HP ratings. I read somewhere that the cl-s guys were putting down 215-220 hp to the wheels... maybe they were 6spds.. but I don't see any stock 6spd at that hp range
Old 11-19-2002, 03:00 PM

Jeez, leave Nissan alone. Whatever it makes the 3.5L VQ delivers the most unbeatable blend of quiet, power, low-end torque, reliability, affordability (makes shareholders happy too), and good sounds of any V6 in its price-class.
Old 11-19-2002, 04:37 PM

Originally posted by jjs

Park the attitude bubba.

What the hell does my literacy have to do with the fact that the lawyer has to look for an automotive engineer to go over dynos? As I stated in other threads...255 is bench HP, not real world figures based upon ESTIMATED parasitic losses. Unless you want to rip the engine out of your car to prove the crank HP is underrated, good luck.

You happen to know the lawyer very well...that right there makes it different than us trying to find one. His responsiveness to you is ALREADY BIASED and not what would be found 'cold calling'

I believe you need remedial LEGAL 101 if you don't think that is the way of the world. Lawyers will often take cases they may not think are outright 'winable', but will undertake them with sights set on settlements.

ps: I think YOU need to remove head from **** region and spend some time in the real world.
ok so if the numbers between the same trannsmission altima and maxima are the same from an engine that is supposed to give 15 hp more your saying that proves nothing. and the lawyer had no retainer or anything from us, he's taking the case because eh thinks we can win.
Old 11-20-2002, 07:42 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Don't waste time

Hi, guys,

Just write a certified letter to Nissan Marketing Dept.
Ask them to assure that 2002 Nissan Maxima is indeed 255 HP,
ask them to have an assurance letter back in one week. I mean how
long does it take to type "Yes, it is." ? If they don't response,
keep your cetified letter receipt and do it again ubtil they
response, in the mean time, keep all the certified letter receipts
for later court actions.

Come on! They've been selling these things for years, they should
know better than anyone of us, and should know right on the spot
when the question been asked.

Once we got the assurance letter from Nissan, we can start
collecting all Dyno evidences to see if they match to what Nissan
has replied. Then we start from there.

Don't call them, write to them, talk does nothing, and it's
useless when you get on the court.

I think it's time for consumers to teach all these American Corps
one thing ------------ "Stop Lying!"

Lyl797
Old 11-20-2002, 07:50 AM

Originally posted by IceY2K1

So what's a "crack"? Or is that what Nissan marketing was smoking when they pulled 255hp out of the air.

hahaha lol!!!!
Old 11-20-2002, 07:50 AM

Re: Don't waste time

Originally posted by lyl797
Hi, guys,

Just write a certified letter to Nissan Marketing Dept.
Ask them to assure that 2002 Nissan Maxima is indeed 255 HP,
ask them to have an assurance letter back in one week. I mean how
long does it take to type "Yes, it is." ? If they don't response,
keep your cetified letter receipt and do it again ubtil they
response, in the mean time, keep all the certified letter receipts
for later court actions.

Come on! They've been selling these things for years, they should
know better than anyone of us, and should know right on the spot
when the question been asked.

Once we got the assurance letter from Nissan, we can start
collecting all Dyno evidences to see if they match to what Nissan
has replied. Then we start from there.

Don't call them, write to them, talk does nothing, and it's
useless when you get on the court.

I think it's time for consumers to teach all these American Corps
one thing ------------ "Stop Lying!"

Lyl797
I agree but we need the evidence against them first, and then someone to reassure the evidence, like an automotive engineer. I think talking to them gives them too much of a heads up right now
Old 11-20-2002, 08:00 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: Don't waste time

I agree but we need the evidence against them first, and then someone to reassure the evidence, like an automotive engineer. I think talking to them gives them too much of a heads up right now
Why do you need to collect the evidence first? We now are not supposed to think that Nissan is lying to us. We just want them to assure their promise. This shouldn't be too hard for them.

If they reply "Yes, it is!", then we need some evidence (collected by ourselves, not Nissan) to back it up. Then we will start thinking about court action if the assurance does not match to our result.

Let's see what they say first (in writting) !

LYL797
Old 11-20-2002, 08:15 AM

talk to steve (DMB) and he'll talk to the lawyer, i don't think we should do anything without consulting him, i mean it is free.
Old 11-22-2002, 03:48 PM
Wat

Re: Why don't we sue Nissan for our 15hp? (2k2 Guys)

Sorry to be an Idiot guys, but I have been away from the .ORG for like 3 months. I just got my cable internet connection in my new place and I am back in action. What is this deal with the missing hp?
Someone mind explainin it to me. I got a 2k3 SE auto and I was wondering myself why it didnt seem that powerful. I added an INJEN CAI and it helped, but im not sure about the power claims. It still kinda struggles after the 1-2 shift. I would be more than willing to help with the lawsuit, but I need to be brought up to speed before I can contribute.

Thanks
Old 11-23-2002, 05:37 PM

read the beginning of the thread
Old 03-05-2003, 09:12 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Write that letter

If someone will write that certified letter and get that taken care of (perferably have the layer write it) I will gladly shell out for the dyno. I have a 6 speed, and its got an intake/midpipe, but I'll put the stock system back on if its justified.
Old 03-06-2003, 12:09 AM
Wat

Re: Write that letter

same deal, except i have an automatic.......
Old 03-06-2003, 10:42 AM
white98se

Dyno numbers for 2k2

with ford i know there was just talk of the decreased hp and i think they admitted it a fixed all the cars. and i'll check for a crank dyno machine but they are rare and expensive and it's HARD to do also. i don't think any other car enthusiats had to sue but nissan is nissan and they won't admit anything i'm sure.
I'm game. Just got a 2K2 auto SE still stock. How do you go about getting dyno/hp numbers?

Old 03-06-2003, 11:12 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

So is this applicable to 2003's, or strictly 2002's?
Old 03-06-2003, 12:02 PM
Blu
the tits

I think this has blown over. Its been 4 months and steve hasn't replied.
Old 03-06-2003, 12:15 PM

Re: Write that letter

Originally posted by McDisneySoft
If someone will write that certified letter and get that taken care of (perferably have the layer write it) I will gladly shell out for the dyno. I have a 6 speed, and its got an intake/midpipe, but I'll put the stock system back on if its justified.
McDisneySoft

I thought we were finally through with this thread.

Quick Reply: Why don't we sue Nissan for our 15hp? (2k2 Guys)