5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Water in HID lights - Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2002, 10:41 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Water in HID lights - Need advice

Hey All:

So I have cleared out a couple pairs of lights before, but after I cleared my lights 2 weeks ago I have discovered water in the lights.

The thing is we just had some big rain storms, so.... OK, I got bad seals on the glue. So last night I re-opened the lights, and cleaned them out good and used a sealant from DAP that expands and is somewhat ply-able to seal them up with. I let them sit all night and put them back on the car this morning.

No less than an hour later I see MIST in the lights, both. So I thought it was because they were warm in the holuse and I put them on the car in the cold. By The Way - It is totally sunny out. Not a hint of rain.

SO.... what do you guys think?? I was thinking about getting some of that anti-fog stuff that they put in scuba-masks. Anyone have any ideas?

I did clean the lenses when I had them open, so I wonder if I removed some sort of pollish
Old 11-15-2002, 12:33 PM

straight out of "insync" nov/dec issue for nissan/infinity parts/service....

"...In wet or humid weather conditions, condensation can form inside headlight lenses. Customers may mistakenly assume that the moisture indicates a problem, and they may request that the headlight assembly be replaced... But in current Nissan and Infinity vehicles, headlights have separate bulbs enclosed in the assembly that include a vent designed to allow the hot bulbs to be cooled... The moisture can condense inside the headlight, producing a slightly foggy appearance... It will naturally burn off when lights are in operation. Drivers should not attempt to "clean" this condensation."

Looks like the housing itself has built in vents, unless there is alot of condensation it may be normal and not a problem with how well you resealed the housing. Hope this helps.

Lonz

2k2 SE 6-spd
Frankencar intake (otw)
Bomz FSTB (otw)
more to follow...
Old 11-15-2002, 07:28 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Lonz

Looks like the housing itself has built in vents, unless there is alot of condensation it may be normal and not a problem with how well you resealed the housing. Hope this helps.

I decided to take off the top driving light in the assembly. This will open up a whole for a while and hopefully get the humidity out of the lights. It seems the lights are getting more humidity in them, and for some reason the breather valve in the back is not helping

Oh well, I think I am going to give it about a week with the little lights out and see how it goes.