5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Addco Install PROBLEMS!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2002, 01:13 PM

Addco Install PROBLEMS!

Ok ok..so it turns out NOT to be another rainy weekend, and I decide to install my RSB. I've purchased a 2 1/2 ton jack and some jack stands to do the job. I get it lifted and start the install...

I think my U bolts that go over the beam are too long! Once I get it tightened up there is still a ton of play there is no way it will fit flush against the axle. I have read all the directions and seen many sets of pictures here on the Org and I thought it would be a piece of cake..I've installed it a dozen times in my head but I never conted on this..
Here are several pics to show you what I am talking about.
WTF?
It almost looks like there isn't enough threads on the U Bolt.

Closer Up

This IS how it goes on right? I don't see any other way it could go on.

Here is the best pic. Notice how there is no way in hell it will ever be tight.
This has gotta be wrong.

Please tell me I got it wrong, because I dont want to wait another week for the right parts..I already had to have them send me the right sized side brackets for 5th gens.
Old 11-23-2002, 01:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Addco Install PROBLEMS!

Yup, definitely looks like you got the wrong U-bolts.
Old 11-23-2002, 01:34 PM
Very sound, Mike

Yep, you got the wrong bolts alright. Addco really needs to get their act together, thank goodness Cattman has his own (pretty i might add) bar in production already.
Old 11-23-2002, 01:35 PM
Very sound, Mike

Btw, just a word of advice. Attach the trailing arms first, it makes the process a whole lot easier that way.
Old 11-23-2002, 03:05 PM

Grrrrr!!!

UNBELIEVABLE!!!

I guess I'll try a hardware store tomorrow. I hope the rain holds out.

Please let this be a warning to all who are considering an Addco. The quality control is abysmal. 4 pieces of hardware were incorrect.

If Cattman had come out just a little sooner I would have bought one of those...

BTW am I the only one who this had happened to? It's the first I've heard about it.
Old 11-23-2002, 03:45 PM

I have the same problem with the ADDCO Rear Sway Bar I got from CustomMaxima.com, I'd give them a call and have them send you the right hardwares.
Old 11-23-2002, 06:42 PM

That sucks dude! I wonder what those u bolts go to?
Old 11-23-2002, 08:23 PM

Re: Addco Install PROBLEMS!

Originally posted by fhaze_max
Ok ok..so it turns out NOT to be another rainy weekend, and I decide to install my RSB. I've purchased a 2 1/2 ton jack and some jack stands to do the job. I get it lifted and start the install...

I think my U bolts that go over the beam are too long! Once I get it tightened up there is still a ton of play there is no way it will fit flush against the axle. I have read all the directions and seen many sets of pictures here on the Org and I thought it would be a piece of cake..I've installed it a dozen times in my head but I never conted on this..
Here are several pics to show you what I am talking about.
WTF?
It almost looks like there isn't enough threads on the U Bolt.

Closer Up

This IS how it goes on right? I don't see any other way it could go on.

Here is the best pic. Notice how there is no way in hell it will ever be tight.
This has gotta be wrong.

Please tell me I got it wrong, because I dont want to wait another week for the right parts..I already had to have them send me the right sized side brackets for 5th gens.
i had same problem when i bought the addco RSB from custommaxima.com....i didn't want to deal w/ it & sold it & bought a Stillen RSB--- talk about very easy to install & adjust--- go w/ stillen
Old 11-23-2002, 08:59 PM

It took me 2 months to get the correct trailing arm u bolts from Addco. I just bent them in and it worked. Stillen may be expensive, but as always, you get what you paid for.
Old 11-23-2002, 09:27 PM

Go to the hardware store, measure the threads for the u bolts and get a "die" for the right threads and just cut them the right length...it only takes about 5 minutes and 5 dollars rather than wait who knows how long for the install to be done.

Just my take on the situation.
Old 11-23-2002, 10:47 PM

The easiest way would be to add a stack of washers. Otherwise give Addco a call and they will send you a set of new mounting hardware free.
Old 11-23-2002, 11:30 PM

Re: Re: Addco Install PROBLEMS!

Originally posted by K Pazzo 6

i had same problem when i bought the addco RSB from custommaxima.com....i didn't want to deal w/ it & sold it & bought a Stillen RSB--- talk about very easy to install & adjust--- go w/ stillen
I totally agree. The stillen bar is well worth it.
Old 11-24-2002, 05:30 AM
Old Timer

Originally posted by MaxSE03
That sucks dude! I wonder what those u bolts go to?
I've got U-Bolts like that on my 3/4 ton Dodge diesel I think!
Old 11-24-2002, 05:44 AM

Originally posted by WizzaMax
Go to the hardware store, measure the threads for the u bolts and get a "die" for the right threads and just cut them the right length...it only takes about 5 minutes and 5 dollars rather than wait who knows how long for the install to be done.

Just my take on the situation.
I had the same problem and cutting new threads didn't work. The threads are originally larger than the diameter of the U bolt. So when I cut them down to try and fix it there wasn't enough thread to hold the nut.

I would recommend either waiting or getting some spacers (like a stack of washers) if you want it in immediately. I learned from my experience also that you get what you pay for. I should've gone with stillen.
Old 11-24-2002, 12:56 PM

I got impatient.

I went down to the local Hardware store and picked up Forty, yep 40, 5/16 washers. I put 10 on each U-bolt. I probably could have used less, but it was close enough so I went with it. I have been out and about all day today taking corners waayyy to fast and loving every minute of it. The car feels really, really nice. It feels like my old 93 SE did. Time to put the 4DSC stickers on!!! No clunks yet, so thats a good sign. I now suddenly realize how crappy the RE92's are. I hope Santa brings me 235/50/17 Pilot Spots A/S.

Santa..

I want a FrankenCar Intake, a Y-pipe, and some new sneakers for my car. Thank you. Enjoy the cookies.
Old 11-24-2002, 01:13 PM

Re: I got impatient.

Originally posted by fhaze_max
I went down to the local Hardware store and picked up Forty, yep 40, 5/16 washers. I put 10 on each U-bolt. I probably could have used less, but it was close enough so I went with it. I have been out and about all day today taking corners waayyy to fast and loving every minute of it. The car feels really, really nice. It feels like my old 93 SE did. Time to put the 4DSC stickers on!!! No clunks yet, so thats a good sign. I now suddenly realize how crappy the RE92's are. I hope Santa brings me 235/50/17 Pilot Spots A/S.

Santa..

I want a FrankenCar Intake, a Y-pipe, and some new sneakers for my car. Thank you. Enjoy the cookies.
Thats pretty original. Glad you got it to work out though. You should post a pic of that for us!