5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Recall Voids Warranty???! I got screwed!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2002, 10:36 AM

Recall Voids Warranty???! I got screwed!!

I have a 2k2 Max SE that I got 1 year ago. In the summer it went in for the transverse link recall. Came out and the dealer hadn't "adjusted the alignment as necessary" as noted in the recall notice. (I have verified this with 3 Nissan North America reps). I had them take the car back and fix it. So now, several months later, I brought my car in for minor adjustment of the wheel alignment (before my 1 year 20K km's warranty was up) and they say it is not covered because they did the alignment with the recall and its been 4 months since I had the alignment done and they only cover it once (even though it was a recall not a warranty claim). So let me understand:

1. Nissan offers a 1 year, 20K minor adjustments warranty, so any time within 1 year I can get an alignment once under a warranty claim
2. Nissan has a recall which includes an alignment.
3. Nissan does the recall and claims the alignment under my warranty!!??!!

A. So if I had waited till I did my 1 year alignment warranty claim they would have done the recall wheel alignment.
B. Or, if I had done the warranty alignment and brought the car in with more than 20 kms they would have done the recall alignment.

BUT: Since I did the recall and got an recall alignment within the warranty period it counts as my warranty alignment!!!!!!! Anybody here agree that I got screwed???

Under any other condition I get the warranty alignment and the recall alignment, but not if nissan has a recall within the warranty period!!!

No, I have not hit anything, etc. No damage on the car. Just seems to be a bit out and I wanted it fixed before the warranty expired.
Old 12-02-2002, 11:19 AM

Re: Recall Voids Warranty???! I got screwed!!

Tell them that you want to see the alignment spec printout from when the recall was done. If they don't have that sheet they have NO WAY to prove that the alignment was in fact done. The alignment printout is required by warranty procedures and should be kept in the vehicle's file attached to the RO.
Sounds like they are giving you a hard time over an easy fix of a simple problem.

Regards,
Lonz
Old 12-02-2002, 11:25 AM
I'm needing a caw

Lonz is right. You should even have a copy of that on your receipt. Raise hell and don't let the dealer try to BS you out of work
Old 12-02-2002, 11:27 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Read up on the Magnus and Moss Act, its sets the precedent for dealers, and their ability to charge, or not charge for repairs.
Old 12-02-2002, 11:28 AM

Re: Re: Recall Voids Warranty???! I got screwed!!

Hey Lonz,

I definately on them. This issue is even if they have the alignment spec sheet it has to do with the recall, not my warranty. They can't take my car and screw it up and then say it is a warranty claim. I'm going to go all the way on this one. The issue here is that they are trying to take the little guy for a ride.

I bet that the dealer claimed the alignment and got paid for it and then double dipped and said I had a warranty claim at the same time and got paid for that as well.
Old 12-02-2002, 02:55 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Lets get real here.....

Your really looking for free service. Your claim isn't warranty related. Lets be serious here for a second.

If you baught your car new and it pulled left or right (mine did that new), Nissan would adjust it under warranty for you if the car was less then 1 year old. The alignment was necessary because things setteled after the car is assembled. Granted some cars track perfect from day one, others may require a tweek.

Now you had a recall done which included an alignment. So Nissan now has a record that your cars alignment was set up properly, regardless of why it needed it. Work was performed and completed.

Now you take your car back agian to have them check the alignment a few months later and expect them to cover it under warranty? LOL Put yourself in Nissan's position. You're looking for free service at this point. Your dealership has fixed the manufacturing error/problem/recall and your alignment was reset as well. Why in the world would they perform the aligment for free a few months later?

Think about that from a business stand point, your looking for free service.

If you weren't satisfied with the alignment when the transverse link recall was done, you would have taken the car right back the next day. Not a few months later. Who's to say you didn't clock a few large bumps, which now has thrown your alignment off. Nissan can't prove it, and you can't prove it either. It's considered a normal service at this point.

I know Nissan's service isn't the best, but come on guys, lets get real here. You can't keep getting free alignments just because your car is only one year old. How do you expect a car company to stay in busniess? Your car was fixed, the alignment was set up by your dealer, don't expect them to do it again "just because".
Old 12-02-2002, 03:00 PM
I'm needing a caw

Re: Lets get real here.....

This has not been established. You have good points but if Nissan truely DID alignment, there should be a record of the before/after specs somewhere(as they would need this information anyway to perform/confirm the work)

If Nissan did the work, then he has no argument. If Nissan just SAID they did it and didn't, shame on Nissan.

Originally posted by njmaxseltd

Now you had a recall done which included an alignment. So Nissan now has a record that your cars alignment was set up properly, regardless of why it needed it. Work was performed and completed.
Old 12-02-2002, 03:15 PM

From reading this thread, am I to understand that Nissan will adjust your alignment within the first 12k miles free of charge? Or is that just for the 2K2s with the transverse link issue?

On-topic: Honda did the same thing with my y2k Civic; under 12k miles they realligned the car free of charge, after 12k but before warranty ran out they made me pay.
Old 12-02-2002, 05:02 PM

Please elaborate on the "free" alignment issue, and state your resources so we can research if it's legit.

Otherwise, it looks like someone is complaining about not getting free service. To that I must complain that he hasn't sent me any money for this post.
Old 12-02-2002, 09:00 PM

Their point has merrit. You didn't pay for their normal alignment service so the alignment warranty is null and void. Sucks, but I have to agree with them on this one. You'll also notice in fine print that everyone like NTB says something like 6 mos or 6k miles unless you have altered suspension in which case you have to pay each time you have it aligned.
Old 12-03-2002, 09:16 AM

Re: Lets get real here.....

Hello All,

Nope I'm not looking for free service. I'm looking for service on my car that I indirectly pay for under my warranty.

First, Olincoles, under the 1 year 12K warranty you are entitled to minor adjustments of your car including 1 wheel alignment. Since it is a 1 year warranty you can get your wheel alignment day 1, or day 364.

The recall has nothing to do with my warranty. If I bring my car into the dealership and it is fine (as it was) and they do any work on it and it comes back not fine (bad wheel alignment) I'm don't want to pay for it.

The recall is supposed to include a wheel alignment. They didn't do it so I sent it back. The dealer claimed me sending it back was a warranty issue. Undoubtably, they charged nissan for the transverse links and wheel alignment, and then charged nissan for a warranty wheel alignment - they double dipped. And now I get stuck with it.

njmaxseltd - your points are well taken. As usual, any point can be argued from many sides. My real beef here is that any service performed on my car should not come back from the dealership in worse condition than it went in. And then to use my warranty to rectify the issue??!!?? I also have a 98 Max 5 spd that went in for a axle shaft seal. It came back with bad wheel alignment and the dealer covered it (long after the warranty). I think they saw an opportunity to double dip here as I mentioned earlier. The service guy at my local dealer is a real piece of work. I hate dealing with him.

By the way, When the dealership does work either under warranty or recalls, the work is coded on the work order as recall/warranty/etc. In the paperwork, they coded the recall alignment as a warranty claim instead of recall. I spoke to the ex national warranty manager for canada and he said the wheel alignment for the recall should have been coded recall, not warranty.

I'll keep you posted. I know I'll probably lose, just like with Nissan paint, horsepower deficiencies,etc. It's really to bad that I like the Max.
Old 12-05-2002, 09:33 PM

Sorry, but i have to agree with njmaxseltd
on this one. If the alignment was off after having the recall done why didnt you take it right back to them?? why wait several months?? And what do you mean "you want service that you indirectly paid for under your warranty'?? what does that even mean?
you dont have to pay for the warranty or warranty repairs. If the recall calls for an alignment to be done the dealer cant submit for the recall and then add a line on a the ticket for another alignment and get paid for it. Several things can knock the alignment out on a car and it is considered a maintance item. Sorry but it seems to me like you are looking for free service. I