5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

HELP TRANNY SLIPPING 2k GLE only 32k mi

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2002, 10:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

HELP TRANNY SLIPPING 2k GLE only 32k mi

I need advice guys....I was just started traveling at night and it was cold 28 degrees...i was going up an entrance ramp to get on the highway and my rmp's shot through the roof..the I was doing 40 mph when this happened...I got over on the sholder and the care would not move in drive or reverse etc...I had to call a tow truck at 1:00 at night..they towed it to my nissan dealer who checked everything out and said the car was fine..they drove it around...what's the deal..I smelled something burning when I tried to drive the car after the problem and thedealer tells me nothings wrong...it only has 32,ooo miles on it...the weird part is they just did a full tune-up not more than a month ago...did they forget the tranny fluid ...and then put it in at the shop and if so what damage has this already caused and how could I prove it was their fault ...PLEASE HELP...I Pick the car up tuesday the 3rd of dec
Old 12-02-2002, 10:46 PM
† ErV †

your transmission oil was cold or it was a freak electrical 'once in a blue moon' glitch. all i can think of (if the dealer found nothing wrong)

Old 12-02-2002, 11:35 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

ok.. I'm assuming your tranny hasnt had any work previously.

You need the updated TCM (transmission control module) and soleniods. Due to the age of the car, you need to insist they check for metal in the pan. If there's alittle metal, thats normal, dont get upset. If there's alot, you need a new tranny as the clutch packs have been eaten up.

You could search for TCM, but youre new, I'll cut you some slack

Here's the deal, Nissan added slip into the 1-2, 2-3 shifts for that luxury car feel. Over time, that eats away at the clutch packs. Now, the second thing is the solenoids that actually do the shifting. Since this has affected you first time with the cold, I'm suspecting its just the soleniods (although you also need the updated TCM). This is a good thing and you shouldnt have any damage.. and this is covered in the powertrain warranty to 60K. Dont let them tell you differently.

We have 2 huge dealers here and they both blew me off for over a year on this. They acted like 2k maximas never have slipping trannies. Thats a lie. A bold face lie.. In fact many dealers were updating 2Ks on the lot before selling them. Its widely known, and totally documented in their TSB cdrom. If they tell you differently, they dont want to do the work.. that simple. Or go ahead and treat them like the idiots they are You may want to just try a different dealer.

With me, it got to the point it was dangerous. Leaving me in traffic and I almost got hit. By the time I got to the dealer, the tranny was warm, wouldnt slip. I wouldnt let my wife drive it.. it was that dangerous. You never knew when it would slip. usually at the worst time when you need to move. Finally I called a small Nissan dealer 30 miles away. They laughed when I told them my problem and said "of course your 2K is slipping.. we do them all the time.. we stock the parts, we can do the work in 2 hours.. today in fact..." and that was that. Just takes a dealer willing to do their job. its an easy fix for them to do.
Old 12-02-2002, 11:41 PM

btw, if youre having trouble sleeping over this and want a quick answer, go out and inspect your tranny juice.. if its clear brown and sweet smelling, you'll probably be ok. Since you smelled burning if you see the fluid to be really dark and smelling bitter/burnt, well... not good.. probably pretty bad and will require a new tranny.
Old 12-03-2002, 06:30 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally posted by TimW
go out and inspect your tranny juice.. if its clear brown and sweet smelling, you'll probably be ok.

if you see the fluid to be really dark and smelling bitter/burnt, well... not good..
Tranny juice is red, not brown. If you see brown fluid, it's toast. It should be bright red & clean with no smell.
Old 12-03-2002, 07:31 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by njmaxseltd

Tranny juice is red, not brown. If you see brown fluid, it's toast. It should be bright red & clean with no smell.

red fluid when it is new....then it turns brown, then black. When it turns black.....it means the fluid is gone. my tranny fluid was reddish brown when I changed last time.

bdoggy08: A full tune up should include a tranny fluid drain and refill, which drains out 2/3 of the old fluid. I would suggest a full tranny flush and have your dealer clean the tranny pan. The two magnets on the pan will tell you how bad ur tranny wear is. If your tranny is under a lot of stress, you will see quite a lot of metal shavings on the manget and the pan. After any tranny services, you should monitor the fluid level closely. The new fluid will be broken in and the level will most likely to go up. In that case, you need to drain out some to keep it in proper range.

good luck.
Old 12-03-2002, 12:18 PM
The Definitive AE Master

how long are the 2k-2k1 max's suppose to wait b4 we change the tranny fluid?
Old 12-03-2002, 01:23 PM

I think it's 27,500K

Originally posted by Larrio
how long are the 2k-2k1 max's suppose to wait b4 we change the tranny fluid?
But most to be safe do it around 25K.
Old 12-03-2002, 02:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

WHAT NISSAN TOLD ME TODAY (BDOGGY08)

nissan said that the car was fine on monday they drove it no problems...I told the service person to take it one more time today since it was cold in kansas city. when she called me she said she was still shaking the car scared her that much. The car's transmission acted up on her on the highway sticking in second gear and whinning to 5000rpm not going down at all. They beleive me now huh. Well, I thought this was interesting to share. They are looking more closer now. I will keep all updated for FYI reasons. Thanks for all you assistance...
Old 12-03-2002, 02:33 PM

I'm happy that youre getting it fixed.. but honestly, there shouldnt be a nissan service writer on the planet that doesnt know about 2k trannies.

There should be no mysteries here. There are like 4 bulletins out on it. Be wary of any place that acts like this is something unique to your car.. or something you brought on somehow.

And yeah.. I was trying to cross 3 lanes of oncoming traffic when it slipped the worst on me. I really considered just dumping the car at that point. But thats bad Car Karma to unload it on somebody's grandma or something. So, I just kept fighting it and not cutting it too close when pulling out.