5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Dash Kits for Aftermarket Head Unit

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2002, 08:09 PM

Dash Kits for Aftermarket Head Unit

Has anyone had any luck with finding a decent dash kit for a din size radio? I have the schocse one and it look like crap. Its the wrong color (lighter grey)and doesnt match up on the corners with the climate control and vents.
Old 12-10-2002, 10:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You sure about that? I have it on my two single dins and the color is an EXACT match to the top AC vent and anywhere the titanium color is.

Like whoa.... The color just changed to blue on the board.... damn....
Old 12-11-2002, 02:59 AM

Re: Dash Kits for Aftermarket Head Unit

Originally posted by ajohnsonnefn
Has anyone had any luck with finding a decent dash kit for a din size radio? I have the schocse one and it look like crap. Its the wrong color (lighter grey)and doesnt match up on the corners with the climate control and vents.
yea thats the kit i have and its crap. someone on here said you can take an older model GXE trim to go in, but it also replaces your ac vents and it costs $80 from the factory.
Old 12-11-2002, 08:31 AM

Yeah, the only way to go is to get the 2K GXE trim kit...it looks so much better than anything else, the lines match perfectly, the color matches perfectly and it is an OEM part so it fits perfect...Check out my homepage for some pics
Old 12-11-2002, 09:00 AM

Old 12-11-2002, 09:12 AM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

Originally posted by cwally

Which kit is that?
Old 12-11-2002, 09:43 AM

Originally posted by asu174

Which kit is that?
It is the factory Base model GXE trim of a 2000. I ordered it thru Dave Burnette here on the forum. Costs like 80 but it is factory.
Old 12-11-2002, 10:38 AM
Blu
the tits

It is the factory Base model GXE trim of a 2000. I ordered it thru Dave Burnette here on the forum. Costs like 80 but it is factory.
That actually looks much better to me and worth the extra money for. Thanks for posting the pics. Matt
Old 12-11-2002, 12:11 PM

Cwally....

I noticed that you have a Kenwood Headunit. I am using the Scochse dash mounting kit with a Kenwood X859. The problem is that the screw holes don't line up on the metal brakets. I posted a while ago and one person said that when he had his installed the installer had to drill new holes for the Kenwood in order to flush mount it. I basically had 2 questions for you:

1) Does this 2K GXE dash mount for $80 include new metal brackets / rails that connect it to the car?

2) Did you have to do any modification to the brakets in order for your Kenwood to flush mount?

I'm going to call Kenwood to see if the screw holes on your head unit are in the same place as mine.

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-11-2002, 01:03 PM

Re: Cwally....

Originally posted by spta97

1) Does this 2K GXE dash mount for $80 include new metal brackets / rails that connect it to the car?

2) Did you have to do any modification to the brakets in order for your Kenwood to flush mount?
1. You dont need new brackets. All you need is this vent trim. Everything else stays the same.

2. No mods were needed. I used the ones that were still there and it fit perfectly flush.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 12-11-2002, 02:31 PM

Hey spta97,

When my Pioneer unit was installed, we had to drill new holes for my stereo too...I think they purposely made the stock GXE headunit deeper to keep people from adding aftermarket stereos. I tried mounting mine a few different ways but finally gave up and just drilled the holes
Old 12-11-2002, 02:55 PM

You telling me that dont look right? You think that looks like crap? That is the $10 Scoshe kit. It is a perect color match to the vents and trim. It fits perfectly. I did not like the GXE kit because it was all black.

Remember this is only a trim kit, so the radio has to be ISO mounted. which to me looks better than top mounted or DIN cage mounted.

Dixit
Old 12-11-2002, 04:58 PM

Originally posted by MaxDoogie
Hey spta97,

When my Pioneer unit was installed, we had to drill new holes for my stereo too...I think they purposely made the stock GXE headunit deeper to keep people from adding aftermarket stereos. I tried mounting mine a few different ways but finally gave up and just drilled the holes
Thanks. That's kind of what I'm thinking I'll have to do to get it to flush mount on my Scosche kit. Is there any trick to marking the holes? I've got to get it exact because the face rotates on my Kenwood (DMASK). I'm just not sure how to mark the holes for drilling when they will be covered?

It would appear you only get one shot at this
Old 12-11-2002, 05:10 PM

Re: Re: Cwally....

1. You dont need new brackets. All you need is this vent trim. Everything else stays the same.

2. No mods were needed. I used the ones that were still there and it fit perfectly flush.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
I called Kenwood and asked them if the screw holes were the same on our stereos (Kenwood KVT-910 DVD and Kenwood KDC-X859) and the tech said no. Apparently the KVT-910 has the screws slightly further back (about 1/8" according to him). Other than that, the guy was no help at all. I asked him why Kenwood is now only putting one set of screw holes and not standard at that. His reply was dead silence. I don't know if I'm mad at Nissan or Kenwood

I mounted the same stereo in my sister's Toyota Solara and it was almost as if it was OEM. Took me 20 minutes and sits perfectly in the dash!

I'm gonna look into this dash kit that you have, but is it $80 for just the vent and plastic surround
Old 12-11-2002, 10:42 PM

Originally posted by spta97

Thanks. That's kind of what I'm thinking I'll have to do to get it to flush mount on my Scosche kit. Is there any trick to marking the holes? I've got to get it exact because the face rotates on my Kenwood (DMASK). I'm just not sure how to mark the holes for drilling when they will be covered?

It would appear you only get one shot at this
Just measure it out and drill them. Measure them out on the unit itself and then do it on the brackets. Simple. Sounds complicated but just take your time.

Dixit
Old 12-12-2002, 05:35 AM

Originally posted by BigDogJonx

Just measure it out and drill them. Measure them out on the unit itself and then do it on the brackets. Simple. Sounds complicated but just take your time.

Dixit
Thanks. I'm gonna give it a run this weekend.
Old 12-12-2002, 07:55 AM

do you have this Dave charachters contact info so i can order one?
Old 12-12-2002, 07:58 AM
jjs

do you have this Dave charachters contact info so i can order one?
"Charachters"?

Dave is a good guy and could be the best friend you could have on this board.

1-800-251-7278
Old 12-12-2002, 09:15 AM

do you have this Dave characters contact info so i can order one?
DAVEB's (Dave Burnette at Town North Nissan) number for OEM parts
800-251-7278
Old 12-16-2002, 11:32 AM

OEM Part number please !

DAVEB's (Dave Burnette at Town North Nissan) number for OEM parts
800-251-7278
Does anybody know the OEM Part for the GXE Dash kit ?

Thanks.
Old 12-16-2002, 12:24 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: OEM Part number please !

Originally posted by cebarraza

Thanks.
Call Dave and he'll find it for you - he knows.

People who drilled new holes I got a question:
My Pioneer HU and stock brackets have matching dimples - so I don't really see a way to mount it otherwise since if they don't line up the brackets are pushed apart by the HU quite a bit (like 1/4" on each side). And if the holes line up the pioneer head sits like 1/8 - 1/4 " too deep
Anybody has any experience with drilling the holes ?
Old 12-16-2002, 02:12 PM

Re: OEM Part number please !

Thanks.

I dont know the part number, ill give it to you as soon as i get the part i ordered from Dave. I went to 3 local dealers and not 1 even admitted the part existed, and tried to make me look like an idiot for insiting it does. how do you sell things you dont know exist???!!!
Old 12-16-2002, 03:19 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I think the part number is: 68750-3Y110 (from the "Parts List" sticky)
Old 12-16-2002, 07:25 PM

Originally posted by Maksim2000
I think the part number is: 68750-3Y110 (from the "Parts List" sticky)
Thanks for the info.

I found a pic of the OEM Part, no wonder why is so expensive.

Old 12-16-2002, 07:37 PM

Re: Re: OEM Part number please !

Originally posted by Maksim2000

Call Dave and he'll find it for you - he knows.

People who drilled new holes I got a question:
My Pioneer HU and stock brackets have matching dimples - so I don't really see a way to mount it otherwise since if they don't line up the brackets are pushed apart by the HU quite a bit (like 1/4" on each side). And if the holes line up the pioneer head sits like 1/8 - 1/4 " too deep
Anybody has any experience with drilling the holes ?
I just did it this weekend. In order to get it to work you have to flatten the factory dimples with a hammer!

My radio was a Kenwood x859 so the holes would not line up with your Pioneer (sorry). Although I had a Pioneer in there before and the thing fit like a glove compared to my Kenwood! My DMASK used to rub, but now it's all fixed!

For those of you who are wondering about all the problems, the Scosche mounting kit allows only rear mounting (ie: radio behind the dash kit). The problem with that is the dash kit is curved.

The Crutchfield kit allows front mounting so the radio drops in, but it's ugly as s*hit. Also, it didn't fit that great.

I was close to getting the GXE trim kit, but I got my Kenwood mounted nicely now (although it will never be perfect because the curved kit, you can't see the slight imperfection on it's mounting angle).
Old 12-17-2002, 03:01 PM
mjg

Originally posted by BigDogJonx

You telling me that dont look right? You think that looks like crap? That is the $10 Scoshe kit. It is a perect color match to the vents and trim. It fits perfectly. I did not like the GXE kit because it was all black.

Remember this is only a trim kit, so the radio has to be ISO mounted. which to me looks better than top mounted or DIN cage mounted.

Dixit
wow that looks great..
I had to get ana ftermarket kit with the lil extra opening bodyshop painted to match my trim, I had no idea a company made one to match the greyish paint of the stock trim.
Old 12-17-2002, 03:13 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by blubyu2k2

That actually looks much better to me and worth the extra money for. Thanks for posting the pics. Matt
damn your right that does look hot. it's too cold up here to be farting aroudn with the car but i'm definetly gonna get that in the spring, my schoche kits sucks also.
Old 12-17-2002, 08:08 PM

Thanks for the info.

I found a pic of the OEM Part, no wonder why is so expensive.

Is this ALL that's included? Where is the pocket?