5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Installed the CAI on Saturday

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2000, 12:50 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Took longer than expected, but it was well worth it! Jane and I went to Home Depot to get a 3 1/4" drill thingy but they didn't have it. Jane suggested 3 1/2" but I remember Russ writing 3 1/4" so I decided to get 2". I figured I can cut different circles, but boy was I wrong! Doh!

When we got to the part where we had to drill a hole, the 2" thingy didn't work. Cut the hole then... doh! Can't cut another one because the drill bit couldn't go into the metal. We had to use 2 different drill bits (1st one broke) to cut a (deformed) circle.

Installation was relatively simple... but long. If I wouldn't listened to her we would've been done 2 hours earlier (my estimate).

The roar of the CAI is much nicer than the Stillen intake (you're right foozed). It growls much louder at WOT. Sssswwwweeeeeeaaatttt!!!! My butt dyno says it picks up better, but I was too distracted by the roar to really notice.

Well, I'm going to sell my Stillen intake, so...
Old 09-10-2000, 02:08 AM

Congratulations !!!!

Hey i thought you said the CAI is on back order, how come it's already installed !!!???

which color did you get ??? bright silver ???
glad to see you love the sound.

When r u coming down again ??? i want to hear the CAI with the 2k engine !!!!
Old 09-10-2000, 07:29 AM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

good job my friend...

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
Took longer than expected, but it was well worth it! Jane and I went to Home Depot to get a 3 1/4" drill thingy but they didn't have it. Jane suggested 3 1/2" but I remember Russ writing 3 1/4" so I decided to get 2". I figured I can cut different circles, but boy was I wrong! Doh!

When we got to the part where we had to drill a hole, the 2" thingy didn't work. Cut the hole then... doh! Can't cut another one because the drill bit couldn't go into the metal. We had to use 2 different drill bits (1st one broke) to cut a (deformed) circle.

Installation was relatively simple... but long. If I wouldn't listened to her we would've been done 2 hours earlier (my estimate).

The roar of the CAI is much nicer than the Stillen intake (you're right foozed). It growls much louder at WOT. Sssswwwweeeeeeaaatttt!!!! My butt dyno says it picks up better, but I was too distracted by the roar to really notice.

Well, I'm going to sell my Stillen intake, so...
get some pics fer us....

the hole is the hardest part...my drill kept kicking and i almost broke my arm so i whipped out a saws all and just started cutting....it was faster than the drill was doing it...how long did it take you overall...i think my install was about 4 hours...
Old 09-10-2000, 11:10 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Re: Congratulations !!!!

Originally posted by GT_icecream
Hey i thought you said the CAI is on back order, how come it's already installed !!!???

which color did you get ??? bright silver ???
glad to see you love the sound.

When r u coming down again ??? i want to hear the CAI with the 2k engine !!!!
Yeah, the sales lady said it was on back order and didn't know when it would arrive. Oh well, at least I have it now.

I got the silver color (not bright and shiny) version... wanted to look as close to oem as possible. Don't ask me why... I know I don't make sense.

I'm not sure when I'm going down again... maybe vacation? It's louder than the Stillen intake, so I don't think you'll like it (I remember you saying noise is bad). It's nice though.
Old 09-10-2000, 11:14 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Re: good job my friend...

Originally posted by Chris91SE
get some pics fer us....

the hole is the hardest part...my drill kept kicking and i almost broke my arm so i whipped out a saws all and just started cutting....it was faster than the drill was doing it...how long did it take you overall...i think my install was about 4 hours...
Thanks! Pics? Hmmm... looks like Russ's pics, but I guess closeups would be nice.

Yeah, the hole took forever! If I only listened (3.5")! Took us 4.5 hours to install.
Old 09-10-2000, 12:22 PM

Re: Re: Congratulations !!!!

i don't have any plan for mods in the near future...
pretty happy with the car right now. Maybe just get some better tires after the stock ones wear out

I'll prolly start messign with it after warranty's over (given i drive 15k a year, should be pretty soon, he he he)

i know CAI will be loud, but don't know *how* loud it would get on our cars...Come down man !!! we can go to santa monica again, but this time, YOU'RE DRIVING
Old 09-10-2000, 01:58 PM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

Re: Re: good job my friend...

get some pics fer us....

Thanks! Pics? Hmmm... looks like Russ's pics, but I guess closeups would be nice.

Yeah, the hole took forever! If I only listened (3.5")! Took us 4.5 hours to install.

wow 4.5...that's not too bad i guess...i think everyone that has done this install agrees that the hole is the worst part...just double check that filter once in awile for the 1st week or so...i adjusted the piping and the filter popped off once...ive also heard others saying the filter just works itself loose...i dunno i just tighten the biotch as much as i can when i clean it...
Old 09-10-2000, 02:11 PM
RussMaxManiac

It was a pain to install after 30-45 min of drilling and drill slapping my hand into the fender with blood everywhere I got it done :P. Took about 1 1/2 hrs total for the install since I knew how to install one off a 98, the 2k was easy.

Old 09-10-2000, 04:46 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Re: Re: Re: Congratulations !!!!

Originally posted by GT_icecream
i know CAI will be loud, but don't know *how* loud it would get on our cars...Come down man !!! we can go to santa monica again, but this time, YOU'RE DRIVING
You remember how loud my intake was? It's about 1.5 times louder than that. ok... ok... I'll drive next time.
Old 09-10-2000, 04:47 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Re: Re: Re: good job my friend...

wow 4.5...that's not too bad i guess...i think everyone that has done this install agrees that the hole is the worst part...just double check that filter once in awile for the 1st week or so...i adjusted the piping and the filter popped off once...ive also heard others saying the filter just works itself loose...i dunno i just tighten the biotch as much as i can when i clean it...
Thanks for the tips! PUNK!
Old 09-10-2000, 04:48 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by Russ2kSE
It was a pain to install after 30-45 min of drilling and drill slapping my hand into the fender with blood everywhere I got it done :P. Took about 1 1/2 hrs total for the install since I knew how to install one off a 98, the 2k was easy.
Yeah, hopefully we won't have so much trouble next time (Jane's car).
Old 09-10-2000, 08:56 PM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

yeah the first time i think will always be a PITA...i think if i had to do one right now 1.5-2 is a good estimate
Old 09-10-2000, 08:58 PM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

Re: Re: Re: Re: good job my friend...

Thanks for the tips! PUNK! [/I]

no problemo PUNK!... at least i still have my teeth
Old 09-10-2000, 09:48 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: good job my friend...

PUNK!
Old 09-10-2000, 10:06 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Congratulations !!!!

1.5 times louder than the intake ??? that's not bad then..

sorry, as i remember, i can barely hear your intake......all i hear was the exhaust.

well, anyway, you have fun with it....
Old 09-10-2000, 11:58 PM

next time

try using tin scissors. i used them on my friends integ and it works real well.. but it might leave a jagged edge if you don't do it right so u gotta file taht down. but it's easy.. just make sure u pre-draw a circle with a yellw crayon or somthin' so u won't cut it wrong

the above are suggestions on how you can install the cai. if you mess up then you probably messed up cutting lil' paper figures in elementry school. it's your fault for not listening to your teacher.not mine.
Old 09-11-2000, 07:36 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Re: next time

Originally posted by mingo
try using tin scissors. i used them on my friends integ and it works real well.. but it might leave a jagged edge if you don't do it right so u gotta file taht down. but it's easy.. just make sure u pre-draw a circle with a yellw crayon or somthin' so u won't cut it wrong

the above are suggestions on how you can install the cai. if you mess up then you probably messed up cutting lil' paper figures in elementry school. it's your fault for not listening to your teacher.not mine.
We used Jane's mom's pruning scissors. Her dad gave it to us and told us not to tell her. Shhhhh....

It left jaggies... drilling make it smooth.
Old 09-11-2000, 08:58 AM

awwwwww man

her mom's gonna prune your kneck... remember to use the door guard material around the edges too it'll help. u knwo that black plasticky lining some ppl have on the edge of their doors??? i think it'll help a whole lot.. and paint it if u havn't with rust proof paint sealer
Old 09-11-2000, 09:38 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

My bit of advice:
I just installed mine about a week ago and it took 3 hours. I had a friend to help and I got the hole saw. Make sure you but the hole saw, it only took about 5min to cut the fender hole. It only took three hours because we had to run out and get another hose clamp and I gave the paint around the fender hole some extra time to dry. The hole saw cost $15 at sears and it was worth every penny.
Old 09-11-2000, 09:51 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by breaux124
My bit of advice:
I just installed mine about a week ago and it took 3 hours. I had a friend to help and I got the hole saw. Make sure you but the hole saw, it only took about 5min to cut the fender hole. It only took three hours because we had to run out and get another hose clamp and I gave the paint around the fender hole some extra time to dry. The hole saw cost $15 at sears and it was worth every penny.
If I would've gotten the hole saw (3.5" instead of 2") it would've cut the time by a WHOLE bunch! Should've listened to Jane... Doh!
Old 09-11-2000, 03:14 PM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: good job my friend...

PUNK!
PUNK!
Old 09-11-2000, 03:18 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: good job my friend...

PUNK!
Get out of our 5th gen forum... you 3rd gen punk!
Old 09-11-2000, 03:22 PM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: good job my friend...

PUNK!
oh what..now its a 5th gen vs 3rd gen rivalry...kinda like the east coast west coast thing....PUNK!
Old 09-11-2000, 07:44 PM

I'll buy your Stillen Intake

Sup kev, wanna sell me your intake?

GC

Old 09-12-2000, 06:51 AM

I cant stop driving out to the 287 Ramp to accelerate and hear this thing!! I've been burning up all my gas!! AND I LOVE IT! Isnt it ridiculous how much harder the car pulls now thoughout the band :-)
Old 09-12-2000, 07:24 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Re: I'll buy your Stillen Intake

Originally posted by 2kmax
Sup kev, wanna sell me your intake?

GC
I have someone interested... but need to take pics for him. I'll come to you if he FLAKES on me. Thanks for asking!
Old 09-12-2000, 07:26 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by foozed

I cant stop driving out to the 287 Ramp to accelerate and hear this thing!! I've been burning up all my gas!! AND I LOVE IT! Isnt it ridiculous how much harder the car pulls now thoughout the band :-)
OOOHHHHHHHHH!!!!! It's so fun now!!!!!!!! Killed the same Stang that raced me last time. I guess he can't get enough beating...
Old 09-12-2000, 07:49 AM

roadkill

nooooo not a road kill story..

i was driving in the alps and i saw a cheeta and raced him.. wow he was quik so i shifted into 3rd in my honda and then got close to the tail but he beat me.. wow it was such a good race tho.

sorry i'm moody and bored rite now.
Old 09-12-2000, 09:32 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Are you feeling alright? That KFC is getting to you.
Old 09-12-2000, 09:42 AM
RussMaxManiac

Re: awwwwww man

her mom's gonna prune your kneck... remember to use the door guard material around the edges too it'll help. u knwo that black plasticky lining some ppl have on the edge of their doors??? i think it'll help a whole lot.. and paint it if u havn't with rust proof paint sealer
That black plastic lining isn't bendable enough to go around the hole, what works is wire lum.

Old 09-12-2000, 09:43 AM
RussMaxManiac

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: good job my friend...

PUNK!
oh what..now its a 5th gen vs 3rd gen rivalry...kinda like the east coast west coast thing....PUNK!
OUT OUT OUT!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-12-2000, 10:44 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

I got the black thingy to go around the hole. What I did was stuck a flathead in there and made some space all the way down the strip.
Old 09-12-2000, 11:06 AM

the ooglie??

the black strip thingy i talked about that goes on doors right? (door guard)
Old 09-12-2000, 12:06 PM

I got the black thingy to go around the hole. What I did was stuck a flathead in there and made some space all the way down the strip.
Yeah, thats what I had to do too.. spread it open a little bit so the metal piece in there fit over the radius a little better.
Old 09-12-2000, 03:39 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Re: the ooglie??

the black strip thingy i talked about that goes on doors right? (door guard)
Nope... goes around the cut hole for the cai.
Old 09-12-2000, 03:41 PM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: good job my friend...

OUT OUT OUT!!!!!!!!! [/I]

NO NO NO!!!!!!!