5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Did the Ghetto Air Mod

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2002, 07:01 PM

Did the Ghetto Air Mod

Just performed the Ghetto airbox mod to my 2K2 Se on thursday during lunch at work. Used the Rotozip tool and had it done in about 20 seconds. For those who dont know, the Ghetto air mod is when you cut a hole in your stock airbox forward of the stock air filter. I am impressed with the results thus far. My car sounds stock up until apptox 2700rpm and then it really starts to growl. My butt dyno tells me i gained a few HP and my car really does feel a lot more responsive and the RPM's seem to climb much quicker. Another thing that I find interesting is the fact that my mileage has gotten slightly better acording to the trip computer despite the fact that i have been flooring it much more than normal to hear the engine growl. I'm sure a lot of you frown on this mod an would rather go aftermarket, but i think this is the perfect intake mod for me. The best thing about this mod is that it cost absolutely zilch.
Old 12-21-2002, 07:06 PM

Intresting! I'm curious to see what you did, do you happen to have pics?
Old 12-21-2002, 07:33 PM
Soul Fly

me too, could you do it on a 3rd gen?

Old 12-21-2002, 09:11 PM

are their any negatives to doing the ghetto box mod?
Old 12-21-2002, 09:30 PM

I have pics of the ghetto air box (GAB). Check out my homepage....if it's working, page 4, I think.
Old 12-21-2002, 09:57 PM
Eat Naaawwwzzzzz

Originally posted by slickrick
are their any negatives to doing the ghetto box mod?
yea, cant do it if ur leasing
Old 12-21-2002, 09:58 PM

Originally posted by 2K2_6spd
I have pics of the ghetto air box (GAB). Check out my homepage....if it's working, page 4, I think.

Oh my my .. I just saw a pic of your GAB .. that cannot be good for the longevity of your filter ... I'd venture to say you're picking up way more heat from inside the engine bay than you would from scooping air from the outside .. plus your filter isn't going to last as long ..that's gotta be a pain.
Old 12-22-2002, 05:11 AM

Re: Did the Ghetto Air Mod

Originally posted by mdmartin92
Just performed the Ghetto airbox mod to my 2K2 Se on thursday during lunch at work. Used the Rotozip tool and had it done in about 20 seconds. For those who dont know, the Ghetto air mod is when you cut a hole in your stock airbox forward of the stock air filter. I am impressed with the results thus far. My car sounds stock up until apptox 2700rpm and then it really starts to growl. My butt dyno tells me i gained a few HP and my car really does feel a lot more responsive and the RPM's seem to climb much quicker. Another thing that I find interesting is the fact that my mileage has gotten slightly better acording to the trip computer despite the fact that i have been flooring it much more than normal to hear the engine growl. I'm sure a lot of you frown on this mod an would rather go aftermarket, but i think this is the perfect intake mod for me. The best thing about this mod is that it cost absolutely zilch.
It seems to me that it would be more of a disadvantage, because your drawing hot air from the engine compartment, rather than the cool air from the front of the car
Old 12-22-2002, 08:13 AM

Originally posted by PeterUbers

Oh my my .. I just saw a pic of your GAB .. that cannot be good for the longevity of your filter ... I'd venture to say you're picking up way more heat from inside the engine bay than you would from scooping air from the outside .. plus your filter isn't going to last as long ..that's gotta be a pain.
If you use a K&N filter panel in there isn't it made from the same material as a K&N cone air filters used on aftermarket intakes? I think this intake is the best of both worlds, I still get cold air from the front through the factory ram air snorkel on top of air from the engine compartment (just like the Frankencar, Firm Fab and Berk intakes).
Old 12-22-2002, 08:20 AM

Originally posted by BLaZin 2k MaX
Intresting! I'm curious to see what you did, do you happen to have pics?
I will have a digicam after x-mas so I can't post pics just yet. Basically what I did was cut hole in the top of the factory airbox. I cut a straight line even with the airfilter holder and followed the top outline of the stock airbox. The hole is shaped like a traingle with uneven length sides. My theory (i could be way off base with this) is that adding a hole in the airbox will speed up the flow of the air being sucked in from the factory ram air setup. An example of this can be seen when you pour Gas out of a gas can into your lawnmower. If you don't open that little breatherhole on the back of the gas can the gas will not pour out as smooth and fast. This is just a theory and like I said I can be way off base with this.
Old 12-22-2002, 08:39 AM

Originally posted by PeterUbers

Well, I have an Ooglie scoop too, and the hot air is apparently not a problem, look at my 1/4 mile times, and tell me again that this is hurting my performance. And if your filter isn't getting dirty, then you're not getting enough air. I went from 98 with a shortram to 100mph with this setup, and picked up a ton of tq. I'll be posting dyno#'s next week, that should close this case.
Old 12-22-2002, 09:49 AM

Originally posted by 2K2_6spd

Well, I have an Ooglie scoop too, and the hot air is apparently not a problem, look at my 1/4 mile times, and tell me again that this is hurting my performance. And if your filter isn't getting dirty, then you're not getting enough air. I went from 98 with a shortram to 100mph with this setup, and picked up a ton of tq. I'll be posting dyno#'s next week, that should close this case.
You've a right to your opinion --

I'll wait to see you dynos before making a final decision.
What's nissan service say about the hole in the intake? (just curious)

I would think from my non-infinite wisdom of physics that adding this hole would increase turbulence right in front of the K&N panel and perhaps hinder the actual air flow rate thru the filter. However, I can also see how since the hole is there, MORE air gets in directly w/o losing velocity through the factory intake.

Either way, power to you, hope it works out, waiting for your dynos.
Old 12-22-2002, 10:40 AM

i had this done a while back...b4 my stillen...YOU DONT have to CUT a whole on ur stock filter....u dont have to cut anything.....it is obvious to me that when u do this, all you guys want is the growl, hp being a plus.... looks dont matter right???? what you can do ...well what i did was basically tape the fitler on.....i put tape around the edges of the filter to get rid of any gap which may be there....then i placed the filter in....and then i taped it in....NO cutting needed....well....thats what i did...and it worked fine for the 2-3000 miles i had it...although this mod seemed to lag b4 3800k.....my car felt like it had a turbo....basically felt like turbo lag...didn't REALLY kick until 3800rpm.... well that my 2 cents on this conversation....
Old 12-22-2002, 01:31 PM

Originally posted by AzNx2k2xSEXima
i had this done a while back...b4 my stillen...YOU DONT have to CUT a whole on ur stock filter....u dont have to cut anything.....it is obvious to me that when u do this, all you guys want is the growl, hp being a plus.... looks dont matter right???? what you can do ...well what i did was basically tape the fitler on.....i put tape around the edges of the filter to get rid of any gap which may be there....then i placed the filter in....and then i taped it in....NO cutting needed....well....thats what i did...and it worked fine for the 2-3000 miles i had it...although this mod seemed to lag b4 3800k.....my car felt like it had a turbo....basically felt like turbo lag...didn't REALLY kick until 3800rpm.... well that my 2 cents on this conversation....
Your correct, you dont have to cut anything. You can just take out the filter holder and mount the filter in its place with some form of holder. You still have a hole that produces a roar all in a while still have air being sucked from the stock air scoop. Didn't someone dyno with something similar to this, but without a filter, and gain like 5+hp?