5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Clear side marker bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2002, 01:10 PM

Clear side marker bulbs

I haven't changed my side markers yet, but I want to so this is why I'm asking. Even though the stock coverings are orange in the front and red in the back, are the stock bulbs all clear underneath, which is why the front clear markers come with new orange bulbs and you're supposed to buy red ones? If so, is it illegal to just leave the stock clear bulbs in there with the clear markers over them (because I thought I read that amber, red, AND white light is legal)? Thanks.

I have a 2k2 by the way
Old 12-22-2002, 03:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The bulbs are standard clear bulbs under the stock OEM lenses. It is the amber or red lense that produces the color of the light.

If you change to clear lenses, you might want to put in Polarg bulbs which will give you a nice white light. Or you can have an amber bulb in the front and red in the rear if you want to stay legal.

Also some states like me in MD do not allow for just the bulbs being colored in a clear lens. They say the LENS has to be amber in the front and red in the rear
Old 12-23-2002, 07:41 AM

Actually BigDog thats not true, I called DMV to verify this before I bought the clear lenses, the light from the lenses has to be red/amber. MD DMV mailed me a copy of the law, I keep a copy in my car and one in my wallet at all times. About 2 weeks ago it came in handy when I was in another modded Max testing the new Progress RSB and we got pulled over and the cop said something about the lenses, I showed him the law and he didn't say say anymore about it.
Old 12-23-2002, 07:46 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by ICULookN
Actually BigDog thats not true, I called DMV to verify this before I bought the clear lenses, the light from the lenses has to be red/amber. MD DMV mailed me a copy of the law, I keep a copy in my car and one in my wallet at all times. About 2 weeks ago it came in handy when I was in another modded Max testing the new Progress RSB and we got pulled over and the cop said something about the lenses, I showed him the law and he didn't say say anymore about it.
Very interesting since when I got pulled over this time last year in Baltimore at the toll booth on I-95 I got over 8 tickets for all the illegal things on my car. And he clearly was telling me how they need to be amber in front and red in the back, and not just the bulbs.

Looks like he tried to pull a fast one on me there then.
Old 12-24-2002, 06:23 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Clear side marker bulbs

Just be as nice as possible to the d*ck heads and hope they don't notice. That's my felocify.
Old 12-24-2002, 09:13 PM

Originally posted by ICULookN
Hi,

Any idea about the law about clear corners in New York City. Can I put clears with bright white light with no problems?

Thanks!!
Old 12-24-2002, 11:32 PM

Re: Re: Clear side marker bulbs

Originally posted by wildmanal
Just be as nice as possible to the d*ck heads and hope they don't notice. That's my felocify.
Me too, except its my philosophy.
Old 12-25-2002, 07:52 PM

I have clear corners, and nobody has said anything to me while the lights are on... during the day a lot of people have complimented them. I have amber bulbs in front and Polarg bulbs in the back.. but I will be switching both sets out for amber and red LEDs..

http://www.midnightmoose.com/194led.htm This is where I'll be getting mine from...
Old 12-25-2002, 09:58 PM

i have the stock red lenses in the rear now but when i had the clear ones i just used the bulb that was already on the car. whether it was illegal or not, im not sure. but i never had any problems with it. HOWEVER, it looked damn ugly with my front lights shining amber and my black lights shining a dull brownish-orange at night.

i recommend getting a set of red LEDs for the rear.
Old 12-25-2002, 11:13 PM

I just installed my front and rear clear lenses today - with polarg bulbs in all four... I was at a red light tonight and a cop on the perpendicular street passed right on by. Soon after my friend was 1/4 mile down another street and said he could see the polarg bulbs from there. So apparently they are a fairly drastic change from the stock lights. I'm hoping all cops I encounter on the road in the future decide to turn their heads like the one tonight. By the way, I received compliments from everyone on the clears with the polarg bulbs.
Old 12-25-2002, 11:20 PM

Originally posted by Black2K1Maxi
I just installed my front and rear clear lenses today - with polarg bulbs in all four... I was at a red light tonight and a cop on the perpendicular street passed right on by. Soon after my friend was 1/4 mile down another street and said he could see the polarg bulbs from there. So apparently they are a fairly drastic change from the stock lights. I'm hoping all cops I encounter on the road in the future decide to turn their heads like the one tonight. By the way, I received compliments from everyone on the clears with the polarg bulbs.
Hi,

I am about to install the clears on my 2003 SE. Can you tell me the part numbers that I should be getting if I was to get the polargs or whatever you suggest.

Thanks!!
Old 12-25-2002, 11:35 PM

Originally posted by hubbabubba

Hi,

I am about to install the clears on my 2003 SE. Can you tell me the part numbers that I should be getting if I was to get the polargs or whatever you suggest.

Thanks!!
Hey,

I bought mine from www.custommaxima.com If you go under Lighting they should be in there... They've got a diagram of what size bulb goes where, but the size for the lenses is M4 .. 4 bulbs comes out to be $14.00 ... The polargs put off a bright white with a slightly bluish tinge (at least that's what my friends say - I'm colorblind). You've probably already read this, but make sure you seal your clears with silicone to prevent condensation within the lense... If you haven't, check out the installation/how to's sticky thread for a detailed explanation of how to install the lenses - it's really simple.
Old 12-26-2002, 11:18 PM

Re: Re: Clear side marker bulbs

Originally posted by wildmanal
Don't mean to correct you or nuttin, but thats not how you spell philosophy.
Old 12-27-2002, 04:44 AM

The bulbs themselves are 194 slot fit.