5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

MAINTENANCE TIPS for newbeez - Did you remember to...

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2002, 11:26 PM

MAINTENANCE TIPS for newbeez - Did you remember to...

Here's a few things that I recently did on my Max & might be time for you to do the same on yours:

1. Top-off Battery fluid. You can buy Peak distilled water at PepBoys for $2-3. Simple to do - you'll be surprised how quick the fluid level drops.

2. Top-off Windshield wiper fluid. I bought a RainX gallon for $1.50. Make sure you empty whatever crap is in there now (especially if you go to Jiffy lube) My nozzles froze once while driving in the mountains & I almost fell off a cliff! Use something rated between -25degrees to -40, if you plan on visiting ski areas up high.

3. Change your windshield wipers. Especially those of you living in the wintery states. I bought PIAA super-silicons from
www.autosupermart.com You need one 17" blade & a 26" blade. Might as well buy some wax while you're there for a flat shipping rate.

4. Check you tire pressure! By running at the proper pressure, you optimize fuel economy & tread life. Buy a decent digital tire-pressure gauge & a compact 12v electric pump. Factory recommends 32psi on my 2k2 GLE. Your factory specs are under the lid of your armrest. Keep the pump in the car.

5. Clean your injectors. They may already be pretty clean, but why not invest $10 to be sure. Could increase fuel economy if they are dirty. I've had awesome results with the DuraLube cleaner @ $10, but it's hard to find. STP's $12 bottle also works well - remember you get what you pay for.

6. Wax your car, if you like to keep it looking sharp. Those of you that wax often know what I mean. Those that don't wax, can buy some decent wax @ Pep Boys. Here's what I like to use: California Gold Original Formula Caranuba Cleaner Wax 16oz liquid, to clean all of the crud - especially if it's the first time you're waxing & the car is more than 1year old. Then use California Gold Natural Formula Pure Caranuba Wax 16oz liquid. You can get both for under $18. The clay bar also works well. Before waxing, wash your car twice with a decent detergent. I use California Gold Car Wash 16oz. I guess you can tell that I like Mothers products... I get tips from Californians that own competition show-cars.

7. Condition your leather seats! Lexol works fine, although the Turlte-Wax clearner/conditioner wipes are convenient. I like to wipe w/Turtlewax & then follow-up with Lexol. Use the cleaner, ONLY if your leather is dirty. The main thing is to condition the seats, since the dry winter weather is not good for the untreated leather.

Keep your Max looking great & running happy.

G
Old 12-24-2002, 06:21 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: MAINTENANCE TIPS for newbeez - Did you remember to...

awwww..such a gentleman!!

wanna come and do mine??

I'm temporarily handicapped and can't drive my car

it can be an xmas gift from you to my max

she doesn't need waxing but she definately needs a bath
Old 12-24-2002, 06:31 AM

My Maxima is more than a year old now. I have 23K miles on it I replaced my tires and wheels at about 8000 miles. What wear and tear Items should I be expeting to replace at this mileage? This is the longest I have kept a car for more than 16,000 miles.
Old 12-24-2002, 06:35 AM
vqman

Originally posted by 02MaXiMa_GLE

4. Check you tire pressure! By running at the proper pressure, you optimize fuel economy & tread life. Buy a decent digital tire-pressure gauge & a compact 12v electric pump. Factory recommends 32psi on my 2k2 GLE. Your factory specs are under the lid of your armrest. Keep the pump in the car.
G

now I would like to optimize fuel economy, however, the sooner I wear these stock tires out, the sooner I can get some that have some BITE!

I'm thinking Dunlop SP5000 235/50 WR 17's ...all weather performance issue...

Old 12-24-2002, 06:53 AM

Originally posted by 02MaXiMa_GLE
Here's a few things that I recently did on my Max & might be time for you to do the same on yours:

5. Clean your injectors. They may already be pretty clean, but why not invest $10 to be sure. Could increase fuel economy if they are dirty. I've had awesome results with the DuraLube cleaner @ $10, but it's hard to find. STP's $12 bottle also works well - remember you get what you pay for.
G
I haven't read my service manual lately, but I'm pretty sure I remember reading that Nissan is against using those types of cleaners.
Old 12-24-2002, 08:06 AM

DuraLube = Snake Oil

They have a lawsuit against them for false advertising. Their products do not show any significant improvement and in some cases caused problems.

My .02 cents.
Old 12-24-2002, 08:13 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

you can use an injector cleaner if you want but to let you know it is extrealy bad for your engine it putt trash in the block wich is where you dont want it if youare going to clean the injectors do it right and have it done some where my friends dad does mine at his shop i know you have to take the injectors out to do it and he almost beat me the time i put injector cleaner in. just my 2 cents
Old 12-24-2002, 09:35 AM

Originally posted by maxGTRvq35de

you can use an injector cleaner if you want but to let you know it is extrealy bad for your engine it putt trash in the block wich is where you dont want it if youare going to clean the injectors do it right and have it done some where my friends dad does mine at his shop i know you have to take the injectors out to do it and he almost beat me the time i put injector cleaner in. just my 2 cents
Hey maxGTRvq35de, how do you like you Firm Fabrications intake? Got any pics of it installed?
Old 12-24-2002, 10:51 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

i love it, it is a very well made intake. i like the way the maf goes in it. i also like the fact that it is not a cold air intake and i will not get water all in engine. i dont have any pictures of it but it looks very nice.
Old 12-24-2002, 12:49 PM

Re: Re: MAINTENANCE TIPS for newbeez - Did you remember to...

Originally posted by taylrr

I haven't read my service manual lately, but I'm pretty sure I remember reading that Nissan is against using those types of cleaners.
Then why does Nissan sell them at the dealerships?...

Honestly, if the cleaners did more harm than good, there would be tons of lawsuits out there.

LUMBEE:
DuraLube is not snake-oil... do a search for one of my old posts about it. I have used ATF additive, Engine additive & Injector cleaner in my old Sable & my mechanic could not believe that my emmisions were perfect after all the abuse my car got. I use Royal Purple now, only because I like to experiment with different products. Also, RP is not as thick as DL which is beter for high-performance engines. But the point of my post is to get people to use any injector cleaner, that's why I mentioned STP. I'm not trying to start a Dura-Lube-vs-Slick50-vs-OliveOil thread...

The FTC is barking down the wrong tree... how about taking a look at Nissan's HP numbers?...

MS.THICKNES:
I'm on my way!... You do mean "the car" right?...

G
Old 12-24-2002, 08:24 PM

Originally posted by maxGTRvq35de
i love it, it is a very well made intake. i like the way the maf goes in it. i also like the fact that it is not a cold air intake and i will not get water all in engine. i dont have any pictures of it but it looks very nice.
I was thinking about getting that intake too. So, you're the ONE that had the Firm's intake installed. Beside the appearance, how well does it performance? Do you know what filter was used? I am guessing it must be Blitz?