5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Wind Noise is Making Me Crazy

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2003, 05:25 PM

Wind Noise is Making Me Crazy

I have had my 01' AE Max about 2 weeks (and 2500kms) now and generally have no complaints about the car..It was everything I expected for the $$ and despite what some say about the car..I love the looks...any ways the one thing that is driving me nuts is the wind noise on the highway..I am having a hard time pinpointing it because it sounds like it's coming from everywhere. If I had to guess at the origins I would say from the front mirrors and from the rear windows..Has anyone managed to minimize all wind noise probs in their max? If so how did you do it?
Old 01-02-2003, 05:39 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Wind Noise is Making Me Crazy

Originally posted by ojman
I have had my 01' AE Max about 2 weeks (and 2500kms) now and generally have no complaints about the car..It was everything I expected for the $$ and despite what some say about the car..I love the looks...any ways the one thing that is driving me nuts is the wind noise on the highway..I am having a hard time pinpointing it because it sounds like it's coming from everywhere. If I had to guess at the origins I would say from the front mirrors and from the rear windows..Has anyone managed to minimize all wind noise probs in their max? If so how did you do it?
Search time!

http://www.atalla.net/maxima/WindNoiseTSB.pdf

That will help you. By the way welcome to the .ORG
Old 01-02-2003, 06:04 PM

my 2k2 does it but i have a simple fix.. turn up the system.
Old 01-02-2003, 08:32 PM

Re: Wind Noise is Making Me Crazy

yeah, it's really ridiculous...my driver's side rear window on my 2k2 sounds as if it has an actual air leak. i'm going to have it looked at when i get my bose replaced next week. but on top of that, there is general windnoise that is coming in from all windows...i'm not really sure if anything can be done about that. i dont expect my car to be as quiet as a benz or a bimmer, but still...many cheaper cars make less wind noise than our maxes do.
Old 01-02-2003, 10:28 PM

Re: Re: Wind Noise is Making Me Crazy

Originally posted by Young04

yeah, it's really ridiculous...my driver's side rear window on my 2k2 sounds as if it has an actual air leak. i'm going to have it looked at when i get my bose replaced next week. but on top of that, there is general windnoise that is coming in from all windows...i'm not really sure if anything can be done about that. i dont expect my car to be as quiet as a benz or a bimmer, but still...many cheaper cars make less wind noise than our maxes do.
Thanks for the help..I have printed off 17 pages of Rattle TSB's that were listed on this site and will be going through each one to determine if they exist on my Max...I just sold a '95 Probe that had less wind noise at high speeds.
Old 01-02-2003, 11:11 PM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Re: Re: Re: Wind Noise is Making Me Crazy

...I just sold a '95 Probe that had less wind noise at high speeds.
Ah...another Probe to Maxima owner. I had issue with my windows on my Probe, went to the Maxima thinking it would be better too. Doh!
Old 01-02-2003, 11:21 PM

I'm still happy with my choice overall though..I was sooooo sick and tired of the Probe's cramped qtr's - I'm 6'2" and when I had the seat where I wanted it..it actually touched the rear seat in my probe!!!
Old 01-02-2003, 11:25 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

it's easier to only drive *with* prevailing winds than to actually try to get this simple fix done at most nissan dealers..

basically, you're gonna need a windsock

Old 01-02-2003, 11:33 PM

Originally posted by TimW
it's easier to only drive *with* prevailing winds than to actually try to get this simple fix done at most nissan dealers..

basically, you're gonna need a windsock

After reading all the horrible reviews on this site about Nissan dealers I will likely attempt most TSB fixes myself 1st
Old 01-02-2003, 11:36 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

you are less likely to scratch the glass or paint, rip a seat, dent the door, set the car on fire, or have it driven off a cliff by just doing it yourself.
Old 01-02-2003, 11:49 PM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Originally posted by TimW
you are less likely to scratch the glass or paint, rip a seat, dent the door, set the car on fire, or have it driven off a cliff by just doing it yourself.
Oh you meant that not part of service visit?
Old 01-03-2003, 09:47 AM

The wind-noise TSB only fixes a small bit of what you are hearing. In general, wind-noise in the Maxima is louder than in a lot of other cars. That's just the way it is. My father-in-law's 2000 Buick LeSabre is quiet as a tomb. Of course it handles like a whale and weighs about that much, too.