5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Opinion Please : Window Won't Operate

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2003, 06:51 AM

Opinion Please : Window Won't Operate

Any opinions on the following would be greatly appreciated :
The front passenger door window in my 2002 Maxima SE has quit working. Nissan techs have thoroughly tested all applicable switches , motors, relays, fuses, etc. and everything checks out A-Okay. The tech can feel a buzz at the window switch when he tests it. He says that this means that some power is getting through but not enough to operate the window. All other electrical functions in this door as well as the other doors works fine. The tech tells me that this circuitry does not require any (re)programming so that isn't the cause. They are basically telling me that the only remaining possibilities would be something like a frayed wire or ground problem which has to be traced and is time-consuming. BTW, the service advisor happened to comment to me that my sunroof opens only a few inches and then closes. He didn't seem concerned and mentioned that it could be due to someone disconnecting the battery and the sunroof probably needed to be reprogrammed. Seems like I read something about this somewhere. Does anyone know if this is correct ? Thanks for any input.
Old 01-11-2003, 09:25 AM

The reprogramming instructions for the sunroof are in the owner's manual. If you don't have one, you can download it from Nissan's website.

As for the window not rolling down... I'd try a few things. Get some heavy guage wire and run it directly to the window motor. Use a high current ground and a 30 amp power circuit (available in the fuse section under the hood, or just tap the battery itself). Disconnect the factory connector and power the motor yourself. If it moves properly, reverse the wires to run it in the opposite direction. If the motor runs, I'd have Nissan replace the driver's door switch first. The switch is what passes the current, and may be fried on the inside (the tech won't open it up to find out). If the motor doesn't move, replace the motor.

Then continue to diag from there (if needed).
Old 01-11-2003, 09:34 AM
vqman

Re: Opinion Please : Window Won't Operate

Originally posted by SptBiz
Any opinions on the following would be greatly appreciated :
The front passenger door window in my 2002 Maxima SE has quit working. Nissan techs have thoroughly tested all applicable switches , motors, relays, fuses, etc. and everything checks out A-Okay. The tech can feel a buzz at the window switch when he tests it. He says that this means that some power is getting through but not enough to operate the window. All other electrical functions in this door as well as the other doors works fine. The tech tells me that this circuitry does not require any (re)programming so that isn't the cause. They are basically telling me that the only remaining possibilities would be something like a frayed wire or ground problem which has to be traced and is time-consuming. BTW, the service advisor happened to comment to me that my sunroof opens only a few inches and then closes. He didn't seem concerned and mentioned that it could be due to someone disconnecting the battery and the sunroof probably needed to be reprogrammed. Seems like I read something about this somewhere. Does anyone know if this is correct ? Thanks for any input.
IMO, you bought a Maxima manufactured by Ford.

-vq

Old 01-11-2003, 11:27 AM

I'm just wondering why you should be doing ANYTHING - wouldn't this be a warranty issue?

Did the techs just shrug their shoulders and hand you the keys back?

If you're covered, they should be switching out parts until they find the culprit. I know they say they tested them, but these guys are mechanics, not electricians.

I've worked on electronics and PCs for a while and it's funny how parts seem to test ok but fail when they are used in their true application.

If all else fails I'd take it to another dealer. Good luck!
Old 01-11-2003, 11:39 AM
The silent but deadly Moderator

a buzz in the switch? Ok, I'm not a "highly trained" Nissan tech, in every other corner of the universe (excluding Nissan service bays) it means the switch is failing. A buzz would indicate a contact that is not fully making contact and is arcing across. An arc can carry over some voltage but not enough amperage to operate the window.

Or it has some debris blocking it, or has corroded or has moisture shorting to ground. Either way, its the switch.

And, the craziest thing? its the most obvious thing to replace! Its the most operated component of the system... AND it's exposed to the elements and debris. Friggen rocket science. Sure, since the driver side switch is part of the circuit, it could be cheesed as well, but errrr, a new wiring harness? not likely.
Old 01-11-2003, 04:43 PM

Re: Re: Opinion Please : Window Won't Operate

Thanks for the input. The Nissan tech insists that the window switch is good. It's actually a new switch because the initial thought was that it was the switch ( possibly shorted out from debri ) so a new one was ordered and put on. If they don't find the cause soon I will ask them to recheck the switch. I suppose that the new switch could have also gotten damaged during testing & manipulation, etc. I'm surprised that with the new diagnostic software etc. that it's turned out to be such a mystery.