5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

First Thing(s) to Do with New Car...

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2003, 11:05 AM

First Thing(s) to Do with New Car...

Can I get some opinions here? When you take the car off the lot, what is the first thing you should do to protect that investment? Wax it? Detail it at a shop and have them clear coat it? What comes on the car already? What should be the first thing(s) to do with the car so that you can start protecting it from the very beginning. Any help would be appreciated. And, if you are supposed to take it to a detail shop for the clear coat or wax (are they the same - i don't know), what brand and what kind of questions should i ask? Thanks again.

oz
Old 01-13-2003, 11:13 AM

Re: First Thing(s) to Do with New Car...

Originally posted by ozdemir
Can I get some opinions here? When you take the car off the lot, what is the first thing you should do to protect that investment? Wax it? Detail it at a shop and have them clear coat it? What comes on the car already? What should be the first thing(s) to do with the car so that you can start protecting it from the very beginning. Any help would be appreciated. And, if you are supposed to take it to a detail shop for the clear coat or wax (are they the same - i don't know), what brand and what kind of questions should i ask? Thanks again.

oz
My 2k3 SE has had film of road salt on it since I drove it off the lot - snowed the next day or so, and everytime I wash it it snows or rains again. It's part of my strategy to hide the new car with the HIDs from the bad guys.

That's probably not what you were asking.
Old 01-13-2003, 11:17 AM

that's basically what's happened to me. i have been doing the same so that the salt/snow act as HID theft deterrants. But, still everytime i go out to the car that's the first thing I do is check to make sure they are still there. Sad. But, I got one wash (brushless) and have dried up dots from the triple color clear coat on there. I just want to put the first layer of clear coat/wax on there before any more salt can start its eating frenzy. thanks.
Old 01-13-2003, 11:19 AM
Boost.....

Re: First Thing(s) to Do with New Car...

Can I get some opinions here? When you take the car off the lot, what is the first thing you should do to protect that investment?
Insure it.
Old 01-13-2003, 11:22 AM

i know that most on this board baby their cars and i am wanting to join that fraternity. but i need to learn and i want to learn. i am just asking how i can do my best to keep my max looking great. please, any help would be greatly appreciated. i went into meijers the other day and started looking at the mother's products and the meguiars products, but i am so unfamiliar with all of this stuff that i am hoping a little help from the board will clear some of this up. thanks guys.
Old 01-13-2003, 11:24 AM
Boost.....

i know that most on this board baby their cars and i am wanting to join that fraternity. but i need to learn and i want to learn. i am just asking how i can do my best to keep my max looking great. please, any help would be greatly appreciated. i went into meijers the other day and started looking at the mother's products and the meguiars products, but i am so unfamiliar with all of this stuff that i am hoping a little help from the board will clear some of this up. thanks guys.
zainobros.com
Old 01-13-2003, 11:40 AM

Old 01-13-2003, 11:45 AM

get a clear bra. That is to prevent all the rock chips and road debris.

Enjoy your new max!
Old 01-13-2003, 11:48 AM

you know, i went into a local detailing shop and asked about that very thing. and they looked at me like i was on crack. literally, he had never even heard of such a thing. i explained what it was and its purpose and even the name and none of that rang a bell with the owner. so, i left there feeling like an idiot cause he was telling me that if something like that existed, he would know about. of course, i knew better cause everyone here talks about it, but i don't know where/how to get it and put it on. any thoughts?
Old 01-13-2003, 12:39 PM

you know, i went into a local detailing shop and asked about that very thing. and they looked at me like i was on crack. literally, he had never even heard of such a thing. i explained what it was and its purpose and even the name and none of that rang a bell with the owner. so, i left there feeling like an idiot cause he was telling me that if something like that existed, he would know about. of course, i knew better cause everyone here talks about it, but i don't know where/how to get it and put it on. any thoughts?
Old 01-13-2003, 03:20 PM
Maxima Pilot

go to carcareonline.com...every answer

known to man on the subject of vehicle detailing and distributor for the second-best natural wax other than Souveran...Blitz One Grand.
Old 01-14-2003, 04:09 PM

Goto a site called x-pel.com . They are the people who make this clear bra. I believe thats the site. Once there you can search for a place that can put it on for you. I highly recommend getting this.

OK...I have a pretty good background in detailing after visiting this site: http://www.autopia.org/ This is a great site that will help get you started.

As for my own personal reccomendations here they are:

1. Hand wash the car if possible with Meguiars Gold Class Shampoo (Available at Target)

2. Get Mother's Clay Bar and clay your entire car. This will help get all the small debris off of your car and will also leave a good base upon which you can start waxing. (info on how to use this product is at autopia)

3. If you want to buy your detailing products locally (Target, Wal Mart, Pep Boys) heres what I suggest:

Try and get Meguiar's #20 Polymer Sealant. That's all you will need to get you through the winter...Trust me. If you have a dark colored car and want an even deeper shine, you can top this off with Meguiar's #26 Hi-Tech Yellow Wax. Make sure you use soft towels and pads when doing these things.( Microfiber is the best)

I promise by just using Meg #20 you will have protected your car from salt for at least 3-5 months. The Meg #26 is just an add on to make the finish look deeper.

Total Cost for Above items including some polishing pads and good towels:

About $35-40...Much cheaper than what a detailer would charge you and the gratification of doing the job yourself.

If you want something of a higher caliber in terms of protection...e-mail me and I'll let you know. But this should hold you over. Sorry for the long post.
Old 01-14-2003, 06:05 PM

No rabbit start from the stop light, take easy on the accelerator and brake pedals after leaving the dealer's lot and for the first 1,000 miles
Old 01-14-2003, 06:42 PM

it's not just the first things

as you said, you are trying to protect your investment. While there certainly are first things, more importantly is the daily things. Keep up on the maintenance (do the oil changes, check your fluid, watch your tire pressure, etc.). Wash/wax your car regularly, especially if you live in areas that take there toll on cars (e.g. salt, etc.). These things are in many ways more important than the first things you do. My $.02.