5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Autodim mirror problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2003, 07:54 PM

Autodim mirror problem

I've noticed lately that when I turn on my car the auto dim mirror dims without any lights behind me. I have to turn the dim function off and back on again to clear it up. I'm hoping it’s just cold weather related, but was curious if anyone else noticed this anomaly on their mirror.
Old 01-14-2003, 08:04 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Autodim mirror problem

Originally posted by Quidproquo
I've noticed lately that when I turn on my car the auto dim mirror dims without any lights behind me. I have to turn the dim function off and back on again to clear it up. I'm hoping it’s just cold weather related, but was curious if anyone else noticed this anomaly on their mirror.
I had the same problem at one time and the solution made me feel like a complete fool.

Do you have a parking permit or some other item hanging from your rear-view mirror? If so, check to make sure that it's not obscuring the light sensor on the FRONT (windshield) side of the mirror. I didn't even know there was one there, but that was the problem.
Old 01-14-2003, 08:46 PM

Re: Re: Autodim mirror problem

Originally posted by SG01MaxSE
Do you have a parking permit or some other item hanging from your rear-view mirror? If so, check to make sure that it's not obscuring the light sensor on the FRONT (windshield) side of the mirror. I didn't even know there was one there, but that was the problem.
As a matter of fact I do... It's a parking permit tag that I recently hung behind my mirror (secured parking, yet another expensive tactic to avoid having my HIDs ripped from my 2k2 AGAIN).

I was not aware there was a sensor back there either.

Do you think this is the cause of my horribly warpped rotors as well?
Old 01-14-2003, 09:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Autodim mirror problem

Originally posted by Quidproquo

As a matter of fact I do... It's a parking permit tag that I recently hung behind my mirror (secured parking, yet another expensive tactic to avoid having my HIDs ripped from my 2k2 AGAIN).

I was not aware there was a sensor back there either.

Do you think this is the cause of my horribly warpped rotors as well?
I toiled over the possible causes for almost a week before I thought about that tag!!! Damn, I'm glad I'm not the only one. I just put mine in the upper part of the center armrest tray thing, and only put it on when I get to work.

As for the rotors... well, I was gonna make a dumb-a$$ Star Trek reference to impulse engines and warp rotors, but that would probably earn me even more ridicule!!!

edited: I just read your profile. 3rd set of H.I.D.'s?!?!?!?!?! Man... that's just asinine! Sorry to hear about that. By the way, welcome to the .org.