5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Dim SES Light And Unexpected Dealer Response

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2003, 04:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Dim SES Light And Unexpected Dealer Response

Well,

I brought my 2003 Maxima to the dealer on Saturday, expecting that when I told them that you could see a dimly lit SES light only when it was dark out, I would get a somewhat sarcastic "dealer-like" reply. But, I've got to admit I was wrong. When I told the service manager the problem, and I said that I had done some investigating on the web, and that others had reported a similar problem, he said he too had one car come in previously with the problem. He indicated that they would check it out and let me know what they found. After doing the 3750 checkup (for no charge--imagine my surprise--apparently the first one's on them), the manager said that they could not find the problem with the instrument cluster and that he would order another one and replace mine as soon as it came in. No hassles, no arguments, just, yep, we'll order a new one and that's it. Unbelievable, but true. Oh, to give credit where credit is due, the dealer is Route 46 Nissan on Route 46 East in Totowa. The service manager's name is Mark.

I'll let you know how things go when the new cluster comes in.

Regards,

Rich Huelbig
Old 01-27-2003, 04:55 PM

Why don't all dealerships do things like this? Is Nissan really checking the old parts to see if they are working or broken? They are getting their money either way.

I brought mine in and they were not familiar with the problem. I didn't think it was a big deal so I just said I'll get it taken care of the next time. Well, they of course had to wait until I brought it in to order the part and I've been waiting over a month now for the cluster to come in.
Old 01-27-2003, 05:11 PM

Originally posted by spta97
Why don't all dealerships do things like this? Is Nissan really checking the old parts to see if they are working or broken? They are getting their money either way.

I brought mine in and they were not familiar with the problem. I didn't think it was a big deal so I just said I'll get it taken care of the next time. Well, they of course had to wait until I brought it in to order the part and I've been waiting over a month now for the cluster to come in.
Call Nissan NA. Then tell your dealer you called Nissan NA and if your car is under warranty which it should be (2002/2003) they HAVE to replace it for free. I already called them and asked and I also asked if I could get the SE gauges instead of my all black GLE gauges..lol It was worth a try.
Old 01-27-2003, 08:09 PM

Originally posted by GLE02NJ
Call Nissan NA. Then tell your dealer you called Nissan NA and if your car is under warranty which it should be (2002/2003) they HAVE to replace it for free. I already called them and asked and I also asked if I could get the SE gauges instead of my all black GLE gauges..lol It was worth a try.
They are going to fix it, just have to wait for the part. The thing that pi^sses me off is that it was already in for that but (according to the service manager) since they did not order the part the last time it was diagnosed, it would have to be diagnosed again and THEN the part could be ordered (automatically generating ANOTHER visit). Time is valuable to me (I work as an independant contractor). For the amount of time I will have put into this it would have been cheaper to buy the part myself!