5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

DAD doesnt want me to drop the max help me convince him

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2003, 03:05 PM

DAD doesnt want me to drop the max help me convince him

yo yo what up guys I am considering replacing the factory springs with springs from Progress that drop the car 1.5 inches in front and 1.7 in the rear. Anyone have these springs and what advice do you have about alignment and other issues? do i have to get a camber correction kit. my dad is really obsessive about not damaging the cars alignment and about going through tires too quickly due to front end problems is there any advice anyone has to help me convince him to let me drop it? Thanks in advance ---- WHEELMAN ----
Old 02-01-2003, 03:08 PM

first, its 1.7 front, 1.5 rear....and if you're gonna drop, get shocks at the same time....also, i know its probably really bad, but i never got an alignment after and no real problems...the tires do tend to wear more on the inside w/out the camber but its not so bad that youd need new tires every 10k miles...unless you're riding on stock potenzas..
i got new rims/tire about 7k miles ago and no excessive wear so im good
holla
Old 02-01-2003, 04:21 PM

alternate opinion

I have Eibach's so it's not quite a match. You don't need to replace the springs, although several postings have indicated that replacing the springs leads to premature failure of the shocks/struts. I changed out my springs around 6k and at 12k I don't see any problems.

You do need to do an alignment. Many people have commented that alignments were necessary. I know it was needed on my car.

Lastly, your Dad's biggest concern with the tires should be how you drive and not the alignment
Old 02-01-2003, 04:42 PM
vqman

Re: DAD doesnt want me to drop the max help me convince him

Originally posted by WHEELMAN_03_SE
yo yo what up guys I am considering replacing the factory springs with springs from Progress that drop the car 1.5 inches in front and 1.7 in the rear. Anyone have these springs and what advice do you have about alignment and other issues? do i have to get a camber correction kit. my dad is really obsessive about not damaging the cars alignment and about going through tires too quickly due to front end problems is there any advice anyone has to help me convince him to let me drop it? Thanks in advance ---- WHEELMAN ----
are you doing it for looks or handling?

do you have Z rated or better tires? ThaT will GREATLY improve handling over the stock Potenzas. I assume you have probably put 18's and some lower profile tires on...so I hope you had gone with Z rated.

If you're doing if for performance, tell him it's a must have.

Doing it for looks?...why did you buy a Maxima if looks are important...I love my Maxima, but there are better looking cars in the market.

my 2 cents

-vq

Old 02-01-2003, 05:21 PM

i had my eibachs installed around 10-12k and i am currently at 63K on the stock struts with no probs. i havent noticed a prob with wear and tear on any of my tires. good luck with dad
Old 02-01-2003, 06:39 PM

Originally posted by MaxedOut2g
first, its 1.7 front, 1.5 rear....and if you're gonna drop, get shocks at the same time....also, i know its probably really bad, but i never got an alignment after and no real problems...the tires do tend to wear more on the inside w/out the camber but its not so bad that youd need new tires every 10k miles...unless you're riding on stock potenzas..
i got new rims/tire about 7k miles ago and no excessive wear so im good
holla

DUH my mistake i wrote the numbers in the wrong order
thanks
Old 02-01-2003, 06:50 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Tell him you'll have better emergency handling with lowering springs.
Old 02-01-2003, 07:04 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Well my question is >>>>>

who is making the payments on the car ??? If you are , then I believe you should be able to do anything you want. If your father is, then it is bascially his car. Either way good luck.
Old 02-01-2003, 07:17 PM

If you don't get shocks with it your Dad will say "I told you so"! You absolutely must get shocks with the springs!!!
Old 02-01-2003, 07:17 PM

Re: Well my question is >>>>>

Originally posted by JULIAN
who is making the payments on the car ??? If you are , then I believe you should be able to do anything you want. If your father is, then it is bascially his car. Either way good luck.
Ya got a point so here is how it is
My car
His payment
If i graduate from college i get the title to the max but for now im the only one driving it anyway.
Old 02-01-2003, 07:20 PM

Originally posted by Y2KSESteve
Tell him you'll have better emergency handling with lowering springs.

Good thinking Y2kSESteve
Old 02-01-2003, 07:20 PM

Originally posted by Maximam
If you don't get shocks with it your Dad will say "I told you so"! You absolutely must get shocks with the springs!!!
Says who? I've been on a 2" drop for nearly 4 months with no problem what so ever.
Old 02-01-2003, 07:23 PM

Re: Re: DAD doesnt want me to drop the max help me convince him

Originally posted by VQMAN

are you doing it for looks or handling?

do you have Z rated or better tires? ThaT will GREATLY improve handling over the stock Potenzas. I assume you have probably put 18's and some lower profile tires on...so I hope you had gone with Z rated.

If you're doing if for performance, tell him it's a must have.

Doing it for looks?...why did you buy a Maxima if looks are important...I love my Maxima, but there are better looking cars in the market.

my 2 cents

-vq
Im going for handling i just got the max last saturday and i have the stock 17"s with the stock potenzas and by the way what is with everyone saying the max isnt good looking? thats a load of crap i think its bad *** and im studying to go into automotive design
Old 02-01-2003, 07:26 PM

Re: Re: Re: DAD doesnt want me to drop the max help me convince him

Im going for handling i just got the max last saturday and i have the stock 17"s with the stock potenzas and by the way what is with everyone saying the max isnt good looking? thats a load of crap i think its bad *** and im studying to go into automotive design
Like VQMAN said, replacing your tires will give a great improvement over the blowtenzas.
Old 02-01-2003, 07:35 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: DAD doesnt want me to drop the max help me convince him

Originally posted by Y2KSESteve

Like VQMAN said, replacing your tires will give a great improvement over the blowtenzas.
VERY VERY TRUE so if all you guys want to help me out with about five hundred bucks I will get new tires haha just kidding i appreciate all the help you all have for me the newbie i would love to get new tires but for now its potenzas
Old 02-01-2003, 08:35 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: DAD doesnt want me to drop the max help me convince him

VERY VERY TRUE so if all you guys want to help me out with about five hundred bucks I will get new tires haha just kidding i appreciate all the help you all have for me the newbie i would love to get new tires but for now its potenzas
For now it's the Blow Tenzas but wait til you hit 15K. You'll be ready for Michelin Z rated Pilots. You can get them at www.tirerack.com for about $800+. Good luck on your choice. Had Eibach pro-kit on my last car. It's not that the tires wear faster when you lower the car, we just tend to drive them more agressively.
Old 02-01-2003, 09:05 PM

Try to find someone who has the mods you want and see if your dad would be willing to go for a drive. Personally I think the Tokico/H&R would be a better setup for the both of you. While Ebachs give a lower stance and better handling, the H&R's give a much better ride.
Old 02-01-2003, 10:43 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by Virus
Try to find someone who has the mods you want and see if your dad would be willing to go for a drive. Personally I think the Tokico/H&R would be a better setup for the both of you. While Ebachs give a lower stance and better handling, the H&R's give a much better ride.

Just wondering has anyone used the hp springs when they drop their car??????? Are you satisfied?
Old 02-01-2003, 10:50 PM

Originally posted by TG0maximaSE03

Just wondering has anyone used the hp springs when they drop their car??????? Are you satisfied?
hp? If you're talking about the H&Rs, I would suggest that you do a search on it as it is one of the most popular springs for 5th gens.
Old 02-02-2003, 05:17 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

if your in college, why are you worried