5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

LOUD Potenzas.

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2003, 10:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

LOUD Potenzas.

I have a 2k2 SE (22k miles) with factory 17s and Potenzas...Just got the car like 3 months ago tops...Whenever I peel out I know any cop within 5 mile radius can hear it because my tires are so loud...My friend Devin (Accord V6) describes it as my tires "screaming bloody murder"...The screeching drag lasts all the way into like 25-35mph zone...This is rediculous, I mean how bad do these tires suck brand new?
Old 02-05-2003, 10:38 PM

yep. it overexaggerates the tq our maximas have. at least it turns heads.
Old 02-05-2003, 10:54 PM

"hhmmm" I don't have this problem. But that's probally because I don't peel out (*as of yet) They should be called "BRIDGESTONE LOUDTENZA's" ......Seriously,do these tires suck that bad???
Old 02-06-2003, 12:21 AM

Originally posted by clipse
"hhmmm" I don't have this problem. But that's probally because I don't peel out (*as of yet) They should be called "BRIDGESTONE LOUDTENZA's" ......Seriously,do these tires suck that bad???
yes they do.i want some pilot sport a/s now. i think i can launch alot better if i had them. if your going up any kind of incline forget about going past 3000 in 1st gear or else you will be squealing like a ****. its embarrassing because sometimes i dont even go fast and they squeal. i feel like a honda with a fart can, its loud even when not going fast.
Old 02-06-2003, 07:26 AM

Originally posted by slickrick

yes they do.i want some pilot sport a/s now. i think i can launch alot better if i had them. if your going up any kind of incline forget about going past 3000 in 1st gear or else you will be squealing like a ****. its embarrassing because sometimes i dont even go fast and they squeal. i feel like a honda with a fart can, its loud even when not going fast.
I haven't ever had any problems with my craptenza's making noise like what you are describing. I do know that they get really loud in the heavy rain.

... oh wait a minute, that's me screaming because I am hydroplaning all over the dang road!
Old 02-06-2003, 07:40 AM
Blu
the tits

Originally posted by Lumbee799

I haven't ever had any problems with my craptenza's making noise like what you are describing. I do know that they get really loud in the heavy rain.

... oh wait a minute, that's me screaming because I am hydroplaning all over the dang road!
OT here but were you the one in that video racin that said ali $hit fast as hell????? I watch that over and over and just cracks me up the way you said it.
Old 02-06-2003, 07:45 AM

Re: LOUD Potenzas.

Too bad the Potenza RE92 tires that many of you have are so bad. I have stock 16" wheels on my SE and those came with Toyo tires that were just as bad with squealing and spinning out when accelerating from a stop, cornering, or going through twisty roads.

Then I got some Potenza RE950 tires and what a difference those are! No more squealing, and they are good in the rain too. The best part was the price which was less than $100 per tire. It gets very good reviews on TireRack.com. Too bad they don't make them for the 17" OEM wheel size.
Old 02-06-2003, 08:30 AM

Originally posted by blubyu2k2

OT here but were you the one in that video racin that said ali $hit fast as hell????? I watch that over and over and just cracks me up the way you said it.
I was driving . My camera man was the one that said that.
Old 02-06-2003, 08:37 AM
Blu
the tits

I was driving . My camera man was the one that said that.
its all good
Old 02-07-2003, 06:55 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I just bought an 03 comming from a 00 and the same crappy tires on my new car! I asked the dealer to put other tires on but said the these are the only factory tires available for my area. Could this be true? I really don't like these tires. I had some bridgestones on my 91 protoge and loved them. (I can't remember the model) These are the worst performing tires in the rain I have ever experienced with new tread. I have learned not to go faster than about 65 in decent rain and leave plenty of distance.
Old 02-07-2003, 07:21 AM

Originally posted by 03MAXNOV

I just bought an 03 comming from a 00 and the same crappy tires on my new car! I asked the dealer to put other tires on but said the these are the only factory tires available for my area. Could this be true? I really don't like these tires. I had some bridgestones on my 91 protoge and loved them. (I can't remember the model) These are the worst performing tires in the rain I have ever experienced with new tread. I have learned not to go faster than about 65 in decent rain and leave plenty of distance.
It's a whacky size so yes, we'll be limited in tire selection. Very limited.

I have 1200 miles on my '03 and I'm already looking into new tires. I found nothing appealing on tirerack yet, it may require changing the rims or taking a chance on mounting a standard size on the non-standard size rims.

These protenzas are the most slippery tire I've driven on in 15 years. They're scary sometimes because they break loose so easy.
Old 02-07-2003, 07:25 AM
jjs

This whole topic has been discussed countless times.

SEARCH will yield MANY, MANY comments on this as well as possible tire options.
Old 02-07-2003, 11:54 AM

Simple solution, don't peel out! That is a rediculous complaint. "I hate my tires, they make mad noise when I peel out!" WTF? I thought this was gonna be about road noise, in which case I would agree that the Potenzas are loud. But peeling out? There's no reason to peel out unless you are trying to attract attention, in which case the noise is good, right?
Old 02-07-2003, 12:01 PM

Originally posted by Kojiro_FtT
Simple solution, don't peel out! That is a rediculous complaint. "I hate my tires, they make mad noise when I peel out!" WTF? I thought this was gonna be about road noise, in which case I would agree that the Potenzas are loud. But peeling out? There's no reason to peel out unless you are trying to attract attention, in which case the noise is good, right?
no. not when you feather the gas and you still get tire squeal. its embarrassing because people think your trying to go fast but your not.
Old 02-07-2003, 03:39 PM

Originally posted by Kojiro_FtT
Good point!
Old 02-07-2003, 06:15 PM

I recently installed a set of 4-tires, Bridgestone Turanza LS-H to replace the OEM's Goodyear RS-A brand (215/55/16). Bought it at Costco for $106.99/each and minus a $60 discount coupons. My final cost was $429.49(inluding taxes) and also come with lifetime rotation and balance. The Goodyear tires, after only 20,800 miles, were loud and their tractions were pretty bad in wet/snow weather. Dry pavement was so so but the ride was rather rough. The Turanzas ride more quietly and smoothly. The traction was pretty good on today snow in my area. I notice better cornering from these tires. FYI: The Turanzas are rated 'AA' for traction and 'A' for temperature.