5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

can drill the rotors ourselves?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2003, 01:21 AM

can drill the rotors ourselves?

i am just thinking that is it possible to do it?? so it will look like the cross drilled rotors??
Old 02-06-2003, 01:57 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Sure --Why not. Lot of people used to do it for better high speed braking. Lets the dust/gas out from between pad and disk. Use 1/4 " drill bit. Chamfer the holes lightly on the outside so the pad doesn't get torn up. Deburr holes if you can on the inside edge to keep crack propagation down. Do it BETWEEN the vanes.---DON'T touch or get to close to them. Mark out whatever neat looking pattern suits you keeping in mind the vanes. Don't drill it to death.
Old 02-06-2003, 03:45 AM

I can't give you the source, but I have read that that is a very bad Idea
Old 02-06-2003, 06:12 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Dude, drilling the rotors yourself is a big .
Old 02-06-2003, 06:21 AM

You're kidding, right?
Old 02-06-2003, 06:56 AM
It's chrome alright...

At first I thought "this has to be a joke" then I read more... guess it was me who was wrong (sorry)

http://www.20v.org/20v/brakeupg.htm

but it looks like they won't do it to used rotors, so is it worth it? Can you get cross-drilled/slotted for less than the cost of a new rotor + $50 (per mod) to have it done?
Old 02-06-2003, 07:16 AM

Originally posted by 2k2wannabe
At first I thought "this has to be a joke" then I read more... guess it was me who was wrong (sorry)

http://www.20v.org/20v/brakeupg.htm

but it looks like they won't do it to used rotors, so is it worth it? Can you get cross-drilled/slotted for less than the cost of a new rotor + $50 (per mod) to have it done?

Using cross drilled rotors on the street is pure bling. They warp and crack at a furious rate.

Slotting, OTOH, is very effective. It's a good balance between trying to vent gasses AND keeping the rotor reliable. It will shorten the life of the pads a bit (no where near as bad as cross drilling), but it really helps keep them from glazing, which in turn helps keep them quiet and at the top of their game.

I was hesitant with going slotted because I didn't want a warp-prone setup. I've had them on my other car for about 10 months now and they rock. Best rotors I ever used, so far.
Old 02-06-2003, 07:30 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Some say slots some say x-drill, they both have pros and cons.

I've been using the Stillen X-drilled setup for a while and I gotta say they are indeed the smoothest street brakes I've ever had. I've never heard complaints of x-drill rotors warping under street use conditions.

Next time your next to an S500 or a CLK with an AMG tag, take a look at what kind of rotors are on the car.
Old 02-06-2003, 08:40 AM

Dimpled rotors are another option you might consider. The dimples trap the gases till the pad completely passes by. Dimpled rotors are not as destructive on pads as the slotted rotors and will not crack like the cross drilled.
Old 02-06-2003, 09:09 AM

Re: can drill the rotors ourselves?

Originally posted by skyjay617
i am just thinking that is it possible to do it?? so it will look like the cross drilled rotors??

While your at it drill your whole car, it will make it lighter, which will make it hella fast. j/k
Old 02-06-2003, 09:14 AM

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
Some say slots some say x-drill, they both have pros and cons.

Next time your next to an S500 or a CLK with an AMG tag, take a look at what kind of rotors are on the car.
Those rptors are designed drilled - not designed solid then drilled - makes a difference.
Old 02-06-2003, 09:22 AM
I'm needing a caw

I believe those rotors have the hole CAST into them. Not drilled after.

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
Old 02-06-2003, 10:51 AM

Originally posted by itdood

Using cross drilled rotors on the street is pure bling. They warp and crack at a furious rate.

Slotting, OTOH, is very effective. It's a good balance between trying to vent gasses AND keeping the rotor reliable. It will shorten the life of the pads a bit (no where near as bad as cross drilling), but it really helps keep them from glazing, which in turn helps keep them quiet and at the top of their game.

I was hesitant with going slotted because I didn't want a warp-prone setup. I've had them on my other car for about 10 months now and they rock. Best rotors I ever used, so far.
Thats why i got them "TO BLING" lol...with my big open rims, all i get is ppl staring at them at every light. Then they smile at me and give me that DZAMNN look.

That look to me is worth ..... PRICELESS
Old 02-06-2003, 11:31 AM

Well what can I say.--I've done the "home" cross drilling. And so have many others. Worked great. Pros and cons about wether sloting or holes work better. Sloting is done by a mill. Holes just need a drill press. I suspect that the rotor anti-drilling people have never done it themselves. Sort of like the anti-lowing spring bunch. Lots of rumors from third parties, but no actual "I did it and this is what happened" --- Do what you want.
Old 02-07-2003, 03:48 AM

Originally posted by azhelipilot
Well what can I say.--I've done the "home" cross drilling. And so have many others. Worked great. Pros and cons about wether sloting or holes work better. Sloting is done by a mill. Holes just need a drill press. I suspect that the rotor anti-drilling people have never done it themselves. Sort of like the anti-lowing spring bunch. Lots of rumors from third parties, but no actual "I did it and this is what happened" --- Do what you want.
I have seen too many cracked drilled rotors at time trial and road race events to believe it is realistic. Granted, that's severe use but then, Formula Ford racers drill their rotors for weight, not performance, and throw the rotors away every few races. I have also seen drilled rotors break apart several times. If you're a cruiser they'll work fine, you can also be lucky, but the odds of cracks and warpage are greatly increased by drilling, and increased even more if the drilling is not done precisely.
Old 02-07-2003, 09:32 AM

another debate on the legitimacy of cross-drilled rotors is not going to answer this guys question. i have the stillen cross-drilled now with no complaints, only praise. but to each his own.

as for drilling your own, i'm not sure that's the best idea. i have absolutely no first-hand experience in this, but i would never trust myself to punch holes in my brakes. of all things, the brakes are not a place to start experimenting.
Old 02-07-2003, 09:43 AM

dont be cheap and just buy a set
Old 02-07-2003, 10:47 AM

Originally posted by wdave

I have seen too many cracked drilled rotors at time trial and road race events to believe it is realistic. Granted, that's severe use but then, Formula Ford racers drill their rotors for weight, not performance, and throw the rotors away every few races. I have also seen drilled rotors break apart several times. If you're a cruiser they'll work fine, you can also be lucky, but the odds of cracks and warpage are greatly increased by drilling, and increased even more if the drilling is not done precisely.
What happens when a rotor cracks? Does it fly all over the place or do the brakes just fail?
Old 02-07-2003, 10:49 AM

Originally posted by spta97

What happens when a rotor cracks? Does it fly all over the place or do the brakes just fail?
You will see a crack on the rotor it self. It wont crack in half, its just very dangerous.
Old 02-07-2003, 10:52 AM
I'm needing a caw

Stress risers form around each of the holes when they are drilled(not cast) into the rotor. From there cracks form and start to radiate out from the hole. If left unchecked, the rotor may break. If that happens, you are in a shat load of trouble.

IMHO, since the majority of my harsh braking is one time panic stops, I need superior cold braking performance. Solid rotors do that just fine. And drilled rotors IMHO don't offer significant improvement in that regard vs the cost and loss of service life.

Originally posted by spta97

Old 02-07-2003, 04:33 PM

Re: can drill the rotors ourselves?

Originally posted by skyjay617
cross drilled rotors are structurally weaker than solid rotors and slotted rottors.

cross drilling your 'stock' rotors yourself with home depot drills is just ridiculous.

if you really want cross drilled rotors, just go buy an aftermarket set.
Old 02-07-2003, 05:02 PM

Well I still stand by drilling your own because I've done it so many times with no problem.(not on my max yet) Also I'm an x-machinest.--- But natch that all rotors are not the same strength -- and some poeple are just dangerous behind a drill. And could not deburr /chamfer a hole the right way to save their life. That said --- don't the after market people drill their's ?? Casting holes in something is very difficult, and I doubt they do it. Cast dimples would be no problem and what a neat idea. Duplicate with ball endmill tool on mill ?? Yea -- if your rotor breaks when driving your going where you don't want to go.
Old 02-07-2003, 08:47 PM

Originally posted by azhelipilot
Well I still stand by drilling your own because I've done it so many times with no problem.(not on my max yet) Also I'm an x-machinest.--- But natch that all rotors are not the same strength -- and some poeple are just dangerous behind a drill. And could not deburr /chamfer a hole the right way to save their life. That said --- don't the after market people drill their's ?? Casting holes in something is very difficult, and I doubt they do it. Cast dimples would be no problem and what a neat idea. Duplicate with ball endmill tool on mill ?? Yea -- if your rotor breaks when driving your going where you don't want to go.
I think when you drill it yourself, you weaken the component. Kinda like Glass, If you hit it with a hammer you might put a hole in it the size of the hammer head, Hit it with a nail, it might shatter the whole thing .. Just be careful man, Maxima is a Heavy car to be messing around with the rotors. We already know how well the Factory Rotors Hold
Old 02-07-2003, 11:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

okay..im not modifing my brakes...not taking the risk of any IMPROPER Drilling, since drill bit..drill speed..drill angle..drill pressure can vary...thats just too many different variables, not to mention the temperature you drill at... I dunno if any of thoes variables make a difference in how it turns out. But this is NO aera to skimp out on. Buy some cheaper wheels, or dont buy coffee/cig's for 2 months. THat should save you enough money to buy some rotors..