5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Nice Kill Today

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2003, 01:42 PM

Nice Kill Today

I was driving around (weather is descent ova here) when i run into a GTP grand prix , id say it was a 2000 with a GTX hood, lowered and VERY VERY LOUD. It was an older guy with gauges in it and he was lookin at me when i gave him a roar..we slowed down and went off a 40 roll and we got up to about 95 and i had him by 3/4's of a car...and i had to turn on my hazards...he caught up, looked over and gave the thumbs up. I was pretty happy with my car today...
Old 02-06-2003, 01:47 PM

Old 02-06-2003, 01:51 PM

Re: Nice Kill Today

Originally posted by 1BaDMaXiMa
I was driving around (weather is descent ova here) when i run into a GTP grand prix , id say it was a 2000 with a GTX hood, lowered and VERY VERY LOUD. It was an older guy with gauges in it and he was lookin at me when i gave him a roar..we slowed down and went off a 40 roll and we got up to about 95 and i had him by 3/4's of a car...and i had to turn on my hazards...he caught up, looked over and gave the thumbs up. I was pretty happy with my car today...
nice race. i lost to a wrx by about the same distance the gtp did to you on a similar race.
Old 02-06-2003, 01:54 PM

Re: Re: Nice Kill Today

Originally posted by slickrick

nice race. i lost to a wrx by about the same distance the gtp did to you on a similar race.
Nah you misunderstood me...i had him by the 3/4's of a car. I thought GTP's were faster than that.

Nice kill considering that the car has 280lbs of torque and pulls out of the hole like a motha... Those cars stock are pretty fast and when u put a pulley, exhaust and intake u will be hiting high 13's. From your post ive noticed that GTP wasnt stock, r u 6sp or auto? I would like to see u go at it from a stop light though that car has $hit load of torque and it pulls hard.
Still nice kill, but watch out for those cars.

Originally posted by slickrick

Thanx...i thought GTP's were faster than that though...it was a 2-door too.
Old 02-06-2003, 02:00 PM

Originally posted by xfirepwr1

Nice kill considering that the car has 280lbs of torque and pulls out of the hole like a motha... Those cars stock are pretty fast and when u put a pulley, exhaust and intake u will be hiting high 13's. From your post ive noticed that GTP wasnt stock, r u 6sp or auto? I would like to see u go at it from a stop light though that car has $hit load of torque and it pulls hard.
Still nice kill, but watch out for those cars.
Thanx...i have a Auto..Nah this GTP was NOT stock at all...it was Very
VERY loud..id say no exhaust or resignators. But a stop light would have been nice...considering i blaze the tires throughout first gear. yes those cars are definitelyt ones to watch out for though..
Leo
Old 02-06-2003, 02:03 PM

Re: Re: Re: Nice Kill Today

Thanx...i thought GTP's were faster than that though...it was a 2-door too.
nah i didnt say it clearly. i know you won. when i said " did to you" i meant like how he lost by a 3/4 a car to you. i know you won, you drive a maxima.
Old 02-06-2003, 02:10 PM

Good Kill.

I've heard those GTPs can be beasts with the right mods.
Old 02-06-2003, 02:17 PM

Originally posted by 2k2max

Good Kill.

are you auto or 6spd?

I've heard those GTPs can be beasts with the right mods.
Yes they can my buddy has one with Full exhaust, pulley, comp chip and intake and he's hitting low 13's but thats with slicks on. On regular tires that car has real trouble catching the pavement. I raced him once and beat him because before his tires cought the road I was already 2 cars ahead of him, but from a roll he smoked me pretty bad.
Old 02-06-2003, 02:17 PM

Well this makes me feel good. My buddy at work just traded in his 2000 Sunfire for a 2003 Grand Prix GTP 4-door (2-doors are extinct until the GTO). He thinks this thing is the shiz-nit. Don't get me wrong - it's a nice car but considering he paid as much as I did for my nearly loaded Maxima SE I don't think it's as nice a car.

So it looks like I have a better than average chance of holding my own against him. It's all going to come down to who hooks up their tires better when the light turns green I think.

Stock 2k2 Max SE auto vs stock 2k3 Grand Prix GTP.....hmmm..

Once it warms up and the salt is washed away the race is on baby!!!
Old 02-06-2003, 02:56 PM

Originally posted by MadMax1996
Well this makes me feel good. My buddy at work just traded in his 2000 Sunfire for a 2003 Grand Prix GTP 4-door (2-doors are extinct until the GTO). He thinks this thing is the shiz-nit. Don't get me wrong - it's a nice car but considering he paid as much as I did for my nearly loaded Maxima SE I don't think it's as nice a car.

So it looks like I have a better than average chance of holding my own against him. It's all going to come down to who hooks up their tires better when the light turns green I think.

Stock 2k2 Max SE auto vs stock 2k3 Grand Prix GTP.....hmmm..

Once it warms up and the salt is washed away the race is on baby!!!
Stock for stock you will be able to take him but not by much, watch our when u pull out of the hole cause our maxes dont grip that well either, but not nearly as bad as GTP. The SC makes it difficult for them to grip the road but once they do be careful
Old 02-06-2003, 03:38 PM

I lost by a car and a half to a Grand Prix with GTX badges ??? Is it the same as a GTP ?
Old 02-06-2003, 07:50 PM

I'm pretty sure the GTX also had a supercharger. I think the trim level was changed to GTP (GTP and GTX didn't exist at the same time).
Old 02-06-2003, 10:29 PM

a GTX is a kit you buy to put on your GTP. I think it comes with a hood or something like that. I was really wanting a GTP for a while but the maxima was a better car. More reliable and nicer looks.
Old 02-07-2003, 05:56 AM

Originally posted by andrew3616
a GTX is a kit you buy to put on your GTP. I think it comes with a hood or something like that. I was really wanting a GTP for a while but the maxima was a better car. More reliable and nicer looks.
I stand corrected!

I was thinking about getting a GTP coupe when they were still around to replace my '96 V8 T-bird but after all the bells and whistles are added it was right at $30k! It's a cool car but definitely not worth that kind of money. Being a Pontiac it would loose value waaay too quickly.

I'm glad I waited and got the Max...no question.
Old 02-07-2003, 07:20 AM
jjs

Being a Pontiac it would loose value waaay too quickly.

I'm glad I waited and got the Max...no question.
Have you checked trade-in on yours lately??
Old 02-07-2003, 07:46 AM

Originally posted by jjs

Have you checked trade-in on yours lately??
I don't care what my trade in is because I'm leasing!

At least the Maxima won't be a rattle trap like the GM in 3 yrs.
Old 02-07-2003, 07:50 AM
jjs

I don't care what my trade in is because I'm leasing!

At least the Maxima won't be a rattle trap like the GM in 3 yrs.
Then resale on the GTP would not be an issue either if we are talking leases.

You may want to search on rattles...it would surprise you how many Max owners are experiencing them.

Don't get me wrong, I am a staunch anti-GM person (had one about 15 years ago and it was enough to make me NEVER want another, regardless of 'improvements'). I just can't see people on this board diss-ing other cars so off-handedly when the Max is definitely not the end all and be all of automotive engineering and quality.
Old 02-07-2003, 08:29 AM

Originally posted by jjs

Then resale on the GTP would not be an issue either if we are talking leases.

You may want to search on rattles...it would surprise you how many Max owners are experiencing them.

Don't get me wrong, I am a staunch anti-GM person (had one about 15 years ago and it was enough to make me NEVER want another, regardless of 'improvements'). I just can't see people on this board diss-ing other cars so off-handedly when the Max is definitely not the end all and be all of automotive engineering and quality.
The Max has it's faults, but trust me it's NOTHING compared to Pontiac. I had a '97 Ram Air T/A. The car was fast and looked awesome but what an unreliable POS. It was in the shop about 8 times in the first 3 months I had it (for an array of problems). Here is my comparision:

1997 Pontiac Trans Am Problems
- Computer died (stranded the car)
- Shock blew out
- Alternator died (stranded the car)
- Head gasket blew (this was shortly after I sold it with 13,000 miles)
- Exhaust rattle
- Right head light would not flip up
*These are just the big ones, I had many trips for annoying little problems like rattles and squeaks they could never fix.

2003 Nissan Maxima Problems
- Dim SES light
- Alignment off
- Rotors warped

In my book, the Max IS the end all compared to Pontiac!

With God as my witness, I will never drive an American car again!!!!