5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Got the max back after 4 weeks in the body shop now it wont run

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2003, 12:30 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Got the max back after 4 weeks in the body shop now it wont run

Picked up my 2002 MAX after not having it for a month due to an accident,looks great.The body shop did a great job, too bad it runs like s@!t.I left the dealership about 20 min. before they closed. I pulled out of the parking lot and the car began to lunge real bad.I haven't driven a stick for more than a month so I thought it could have been me.I'm taking it easy the speed limit is 35.Once i get to an area where it becomes 55 I start to accelerate and the car won't. I thought what the.As I slow down for a turn the car shuts down, I restart it and I get the lunging problem again as I try to hit the gas.If you try to give it much gas it just has no power at all.Thank goodness I only live a few miles from the dealership.I get it home and call the dealership and they say the technicians left an hour ago.So now i have to wait till Monday to bring it in. I noticed they replaced the air cleaner.I was wondering if the MAF got damaged due to the accident or they just forgot to hook something up.I was looking forward to having my car back.I have it back but the damn thing wont run.
Old 02-08-2003, 06:47 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

Re: Got the max back after 4 weeks in the body shop now it wont run

Originally posted by kelthombar
Picked up my 2002 MAX after not having it for a month due to an accident,looks great.The body shop did a great job, too bad it runs like s@!t.I left the dealership about 20 min. before they closed. I pulled out of the parking lot and the car began to lunge real bad.I haven't driven a stick for more than a month so I thought it could have been me.I'm taking it easy the speed limit is 35.Once i get to an area where it becomes 55 I start to accelerate and the car won't. I thought what the.As I slow down for a turn the car shuts down, I restart it and I get the lunging problem again as I try to hit the gas.If you try to give it much gas it just has no power at all.Thank goodness I only live a few miles from the dealership.I get it home and call the dealership and they say the technicians left an hour ago.So now i have to wait till Monday to bring it in. I noticed they replaced the air cleaner.I was wondering if the MAF got damaged due to the accident or they just forgot to hook something up.I was looking forward to having my car back.I have it back but the damn thing wont run.
That sucks....sounds like a MAF problem. Check the connections around the MAF and see if there are any loose ones.
Old 02-08-2003, 07:56 AM

Yea, that sounds like MAF. I left my MAF unplugged once by accident after an engine cleaning, this was on a different car, but that's what it did to me. It ran OK at first then degraded quickly.

I'm wondering it that should throw a MIL though?
Old 02-08-2003, 10:02 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I thought i would look under the hood myself even though outside the windchill is -2. The place where the airbox meets the intake they didn't connect it right.The rubber sleave wasn't over the plastic inlet. Once I got that corrected and took it for a drive now it runs like it should.Im glad thats all it was.Then i was making sure everything was working right in the car, I tested the sunrooof to make sure it worked. It didn't. The slide feature wasn't working. Messed with that a few times by raising it and lower it then it started to work correctly.All works great now.