5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

What is up with the SES lights?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2003, 10:16 AM

What is up with the SES lights?

I was checking out the .org before I went to lunch and saw two SES light posts. Then, I start to drive away from work and my damn SES light comes on. I have a 2k2 6spd, about 15k miles. I called the dealer and made an appt., but read on one of the threads that you would have to pay a diagnostic fee.

Is this not covered under warranty? I guess what I mean is that if there is no problem, is it covered under warranty. Seems like it would be, but with Nissan you never know. If not, I am headed to Autozone to have them check the code for me. I hate my dealer anyway.

Also, I already checked the gas cap. Nice and tight, but I retightened just to be safe. Any thoughts?
Old 02-10-2003, 10:17 AM
Banned

Re: What is up with the SES lights?

Originally posted by NissanisGood
I was checking out the .org before I went to lunch and saw two SES light posts. Then, I start to drive away from work and my damn SES light comes on. I have a 2k2 6spd, about 15k miles. I called the dealer and made an appt., but read on one of the threads that you would have to pay a diagnostic fee.

Is this not covered under warranty? I guess what I mean is that if there is no problem, is it covered under warranty. Seems like it would be, but with Nissan you never know. If not, I am headed to Autozone to have them check the code for me. I hate my dealer anyway.

Also, I already checked the gas cap. Nice and tight, but I retightened just to be safe. Any thoughts?
Any mods on your car?
Old 02-10-2003, 12:24 PM

Mods

I forgot to mention that. No mods; I really don't have any options for that matter, not that it makes a difference. Sunroof only.
Old 02-10-2003, 04:26 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Mods

Originally posted by NissanisGood
I forgot to mention that. No mods; I really don't have any options for that matter, not that it makes a difference. Sunroof only.
they'll fix the problem once they run the codes...but you have to pay $55 for the dignostic, which is kinda annoying.
Old 02-10-2003, 04:30 PM

Re: Re: Mods

Originally posted by irvine78

they'll fix the problem once they run the codes...but you have to pay $55 for the dignostic, which is kinda annoying.
Are you kidding? Paying a diagnostic fee for something that's clearly under warranty?
Old 02-10-2003, 10:57 PM

I'll tell you my experience with that crappy ses light... sheit is bothering me...
first, i buy an intake and install it. I love the results and not to mention the sound, but next thing you know it, i floor the car and damn the ses light goes on... so i disconnect the battery for the night and in the morning back to normal... So I decided to take the intake off and just the other night I had a run with a TL-S on the highway... he pulls up to me, floors it, and so do i... I beat him, but the damn ses light came on again after the race with the stock intake box.... DAMNNN that ses light... i got to make an appointment for that stupid light and the stupid airbag light....
and if they try to charge me,... all hell will break loose... i am tired of Nissan's half-azzz jobs...
Old 02-11-2003, 10:17 AM

Problem solved, sort of

I know you are all worried about my car, so here is what I found out at the dealership:

First of all, it was an unusually painless experience. The service dept. was packed. There were about twelve people waiting when I got there. Somehow my car got taken care of in 35 minutes, probably because they knew it was an easy diagnosis.

Naturally, it is not fixed yet. They had to order a part - I need a new oxygen sensor. Woo-hoo!

And . . . no charge. Not that there should have been. If something breaks that is covered under warranty and causes the SES light to come on, then the diagnostic should be covered since I wouldn't have had it checked otherwise.
Old 02-12-2003, 09:35 PM

Here is my nickels worth, I have come to the conclusion the "SES" light is a part of the deal when I purchase my 2001 SE used. I just kind of wait until it turns itself off, most of the posts here are not here nor there on what the problem is. The dealer wants money, "just in case I didn't tighten the gas cap properly" what a crock. If someone at NISSAN would just come out and say it is a fault of the car and it will not die anytime soon, I could live with that. The performance does not appear to suffer, gas mileage, I just put gas in it when the time comes. I am certain most of you would agree on the NISSAN statement.......it is more emabarrasing than it is worth when touring around my clients to look at homes.