5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Driving with high beams on

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2003, 02:27 AM
It's chrome alright...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Driving with high beams on

Originally posted by SG01MaxSE
They pull out onto the freeway doing 45 in a 70, and THEN decide to slowly get up to the speed limit. I hate those fokkers!!!
that's massachusetts all the way... in NH they teach (correctly) to speed up then merge onto the highway. People in Mass must have a different driver's manual because they almost always pull out of the breakdown lane and onto the highway, then speed up. I'm surprised there aren't more deaths from that.

SG01MaxSE, I gotta tell you... with the back door and trunk open like that, your picture makes your car look like a station wagon.
Old 02-13-2003, 05:00 AM

Re: Re: Re: Driving with high beams on

Originally posted by spta97

Yea!

Who knows what was going on in the other driver's mind. A lot of people today are scared to flash someone due to rumors of gangs who follow people and kill them when they get flashed. Funny, I'll flash anyone and once did it to a cop! DOH!

People also don't seem to know the headlight "language" anymore. As I was taught:

1) Flashing lights on and off to on coming traffic = cop set a speed trap
2) Flashing lights when behind someone = I want to pass
3) Flashing high beams to oncoming traffic = I want you to turn off your brights.
4) Driving down the road with your high beams on for no reason = I'm an a-hole!
LOL!!! Very tru. Also, whats the language for people who dont have their headlights on? When you flashed the cop, did he right you up for indecent exposer?
Old 02-13-2003, 05:16 AM

This is what I hate. When a 3 lane road is turning into 2 lanes...and on the right side it says merge left. Most people are merging left at that point but then theres always people who go all the way to the end of the road to merge so they can cut a lot of cars. I never let those guys in. They pis$ me off so much.

i learned a lot from driving by watching other people. Like someone said earlier when you about to get onto the highway and a guy in the right lane switches lanes when theres no cars in the lane over..I do that now. I would never really have thought of that unless I saw someone else do it.

Why can't people warn me of cops!? I wish I lived in the time where they did. Just a few nights ago I flashed someone repeatedly of his headlights at night and he turned them on. I felt good. It was my first time.

Also, since it just snowed here recently...people with SUVs think they own the road because they have AWD or 4WD. In reality, it's a lot of them that are causing the accidents by being over confident.

I think 50% of America has to take some sort of course in defense driving and safety. I am going to take it because it lowers my insurance price and I want to learn more about it.
Old 02-13-2003, 05:30 AM

So... you're saying that the cops in Long Island, NY are overpaid and underworked??? 9-11-01 ---> 2-13-03 Damn... now THAT is some short-term memory.

While we're talking about $hitty driving, how about this one:
People who don't understand that the on-ramp and merge-in lane is the place to get up to highway speeds. They pull out onto the freeway doing 45 in a 70, and THEN decide to slowly get up to the speed limit. I hate those fokkers!!!
Dude, I live in LI, NY and trust me there wasn't much going on 9-11-01. I happen to like the cops in LI, they seem to show up pretty quick when I accidentally set off my house alarm.

Now Westchester, NY is a different story. They are a bunch of fat lazy bastards. I was pulled over so many times when I was younger for stupid $hit it wasn't even funny.

One thing that kills me about cops is when they have time to set a speed trap. You gonna tell me that there is NOTHING better they could be doing? Surely someone is stealing HIDs somewhere and they're sitting on the side of the road looking to get money from people who are already paying in taxes.

On thing I love, when there is a bad accident you can go as fast as you want because all the cops are actually "busy" for once!
Old 02-13-2003, 05:49 AM
pjalst

Re: Re: Re: Re: Driving with high beams on

Originally posted by VQPowerSE

Where I'm from, cops are overpaid and underworked, so I guess if that was the case, it was for them to meet their monthly quota.
You forget that cops don't get paid for what they do, cops get paid for what they might have to do. Every day that a cop puts on that uniform could be his/her last. That should be worth something.

Old 02-13-2003, 06:52 AM

Originally posted by pjalst

You forget that cops don't get paid for what they do, cops get paid for what they might have to do. Every day that a cop puts on that uniform could be his/her last. That should be worth something.
I guess you could say that for cops in the Bronx, but LI hardly has any life threatening behavior going on. It seems that the more cops have to do (ie: more crime) they seem a lot cooler and don't pick on you for stupid stuff like tinted windows or a loud stereo. It's when they have nothing to do they start being a-holes.
Old 02-13-2003, 06:55 AM
jjs

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Driving with high beams on

Originally posted by spta97

I guess you could say that for cops in the Bronx, but LI hardly has any life threatening behavior going on. It seems that the more cops have to do (ie: more crime) they seem a lot cooler and don't pick on you for stupid stuff like tinted windows or a loud stereo. It's when they have nothing to do they start being a-holes.
Very true.

And quite often you have the other two 'syndromes'...

1. Small town cops who think they are God...

2. Police in affluent areas who think they need to knock people down from their 'ivory towers' (quite frankly, and quite often I have to agree with them on this one)...
Old 02-13-2003, 06:58 AM

Re: Re: Driving with high beams on

Well, getting back to the "Original" topic of driving with the high beams on and no one noticing, I would like to say that some a-hole a week and a half ago flashed his beams on me when I DIDN'T even have mine on to begin with! No one was behind me, there was no one else driving around or waiting to turn onto the road, it was just me and this other car going opposite ways. I know I didn't have my beams on, so that only tells me that people must be really stupid to think that because Xenons are brighter, the high beams are on, when in reality, they're not high beams.

Retards, I tell you!
How loaded was your car? I's happened to me that on long trips, with a loaded trunk, the beams end up pointing higher than usual and blinding people. These people (like us when we think that a-hole has high beams) flashed their highs asking for lows. When I flashed them back, they realized and went on their merry way...
Old 02-13-2003, 07:02 AM

Originally posted by vito1281

Maybe he was warning you of a cop up ahead???

I always do that... I came from Ukraine.. In my country we always helped each other finding the cop's.
Old 02-13-2003, 08:43 AM

Re: Driving with high beams on

Originally posted by Tony Fernandes
I have Eaglite xenon H4 bulbs in my car. I accidentally noticed the other night that my high beams apparently do not bother other drivers. I always dim my high beams whenever another car is approaching, but I forgot to do it the other night & noticed that it didn't bother the person passing by. So I decided not the dim them for several minutes with several cars passing by and not a single one flashed me. Anyone else ever experience this? My headlights are properly adjusted and I can see very far down the road with them, so there's nothing apparently wrong with them.

Tony
I, too, have a 2001 Max, and I suspect that the official "proper adjustment" considers a hefty load in the trunk and/or the back seat. The illuminated portion of the roadway when lightly loaded (driver ony or driver plus one passenger) is very short. IMHO, too short for anything over about 25 mph.

You'll be OK and will have more useful illumination if you crank the headlight aim up a little. Enough to get a flat roadway illuminated by the low beams only out to a couple hundred feet or so is about right (if I recall my OE aim correctly, the illuminated distance was significantly less than half of that). As long as the height to the beam cutoff drops as the distance from the front of the car increases, you won't have any issues with oncoming drivers.

Then crank the foglight aim up to fill in up close to the car. Yes, I run my fogs full-time with the lows, but they're now functional instead of being just decorations that mainly light up the road surface below the hoodline where I can't see anyway. And no, I don't get "flashed" by oncoming traffic mistaking me for having the highs lit (just once or twice while I was finding the optimum setting for my normal load).

With better low beam + foglight illumination you feel quite the same need to run the high beams.

[late edit]BTW, if you hit a dip in the road with the rear wheels at the right time, even perfectly OE-spec adjusted lows can appear to oncoming traffic that you are flashing them as the beam cutoff momentarily goes above the horizontal.

Norm
Old 02-13-2003, 08:54 AM
Banned

So... you're saying that the cops in Long Island, NY are overpaid and underworked??? 9-11-01 ---> 2-13-03 Damn... now THAT is some short-term memory.

While we're talking about $hitty driving, how about this one:
People who don't understand that the on-ramp and merge-in lane is the place to get up to highway speeds. They pull out onto the freeway doing 45 in a 70, and THEN decide to slowly get up to the speed limit. I hate those fokkers!!!
I think you may want to re-evaluate what you said, but seeing as your not from LI, I'll explain. Long Island cops=overpaid, underworked. NYPD cops=overworked, and underpaid. For the LI cops who contributed they're time, effort and help in 9-11, hey, that's great! But for the NYPD and FDNY guys who put they're lives on the line for that whole incident, what they bring home to they're families is NOWHERE near what LI cops make. Suffolk County where I'm from, to be exact.

Getting OT of the cops, I hate slow merging drivers also.
Old 02-13-2003, 09:04 AM
Banned

Yes, I agree, but as I explained, the workload between NYPD and Suffolk County (LI) cops is a world's difference. Think of it as patrolling a nice suburban area compared to the chaotic lifestyle of NYC. Which would you choose, less stress with more pay or more stress with less pay?

Anyways, I'm done being OT now.
Old 02-13-2003, 09:06 AM
Banned

Originally posted by CCS2k1Max

How loaded was your car? I's happened to me that on long trips, with a loaded trunk, the beams end up pointing higher than usual and blinding people. These people (like us when we think that a-hole has high beams) flashed their highs asking for lows. When I flashed them back, they realized and went on their merry way...
Not loaded at all....my car's totally stock. And he still beamed me! Next time, I'm flashing my beams and my maglite!
Old 02-13-2003, 09:55 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Driving with high beams on

Not loaded at all....my car's totally stock. And he still beamed me! Next time, I'm flashing my beams and my maglite!
I ment the weight load, not the mods or options. How many people did you have in the car or how much crap did you have in the trunk? (unless your car has that leveling feature Lincolns have...)
Old 02-13-2003, 04:14 PM
Banned

Originally posted by CCS2k1Max

I ment the weight load, not the mods or options. How many people did you have in the car or how much crap did you have in the trunk? (unless your car has that leveling feature Lincolns have...)
Whoops! Just me and my mom. tee hee
Old 02-13-2003, 04:22 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I've often wanted to stop by Home Depot and purchase one of those handheld 3-million candlewatt lights... for those ********s who come up on you and turn on their brights... or, the ones who won't let you by, try to speed up when you pass, and then turn on their brights when you get in front...

just grab the handheld, turn around, and introduce them to a little daylight.
Old 02-13-2003, 07:34 PM

Re: Re: Driving with high beams on

There's an easy way to settle this. You let someone drive your car, find a dark road with a nasty curve and you drive another car. You both take the curve at the same time driving toward each other. The driver of your car will have the high beams on. If you negotiate the curve without leaving skid mark in your Fruit of the Looms, then it's ok to drive your car with the HB's on
LMAO!
Old 02-14-2003, 12:20 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Driving with high beams on

I think you may want to re-evaluate what you said, but seeing as your not from LI, I'll explain. Long Island cops=overpaid, underworked. NYPD cops=overworked, and underpaid. For the LI cops who contributed they're time, effort and help in 9-11, hey, that's great! But for the NYPD and FDNY guys who put they're lives on the line for that whole incident, what they bring home to they're families is NOWHERE near what LI cops make. Suffolk County where I'm from, to be exact.

Getting OT of the cops, I hate slow merging drivers also.
I really meant my post more as a joke, but as I read it today, it doesn't sound much like one. Guess I should've used a smiley so it wouldn't have stirred the pot quite so much.

Anyway, I've decided to send in my resume to the Long Island Police Department!!! (<---- notice, another smiley)

Back ON topic...