5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Leveling Device in Engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2003, 08:39 AM

Leveling Device in Engine

Hi everyone,
This is my first post. I just bought (3 weeks ago) a 2001 Maxima SE 5 speed. I love it!!!
I have one question - I noticed a sound coming from the engine whenever I start to move forward after shifting out of reverse. It almost sounds like a twanging spring. My mom had a 2000 Max and said she had the same problem. She called the dealer and was told that it was a leveling device in the engine and that it was normal. Just curious if anyone has ever heard of this and if it is, in fact, normal.
Thanks for your help!
Alicia
Old 02-21-2003, 10:01 AM

twang

Never heard of it. I'm also not aware of any levelling device. Some 5th gens include electric motor mounts, or at least I've read this, but I don't see how this would have anything to do with shifting from reverse to 1st. Does the twang happen after you release the clutch or while?
Old 02-21-2003, 10:01 AM
It's chrome alright...

Re: Leveling Device in Engine

Originally posted by abtolen
Hi everyone,
This is my first post. I just bought (3 weeks ago) a 2001 Maxima SE 5 speed. I love it!!!
I have one question - I noticed a sound coming from the engine whenever I start to move forward after shifting out of reverse. It almost sounds like a twanging spring. My mom had a 2000 Max and said she had the same problem. She called the dealer and was told that it was a leveling device in the engine and that it was normal. Just curious if anyone has ever heard of this and if it is, in fact, normal.
Thanks for your help!
Alicia
never heard of it, and never believe the dealer's first answer (just an opinion, of course)
Old 02-21-2003, 10:03 AM

Re: Leveling Device in Engine

Hi everyone,
Thanks for your help!
Alicia
Yes we all have that problem. Even though it isn't really a problem. The last that I heard about this was that the car is doing a self check on the ABS system. But I am not 100% sure on that.
Old 02-21-2003, 10:19 AM

Re: twang

It happens just as I am letting the clutch out in 1st gear.

Originally posted by ajahearn
Never heard of it. I'm also not aware of any levelling device. Some 5th gens include electric motor mounts, or at least I've read this, but I don't see how this would have anything to do with shifting from reverse to 1st. Does the twang happen after you release the clutch or while?
Old 02-21-2003, 10:21 AM

Re: Re: Leveling Device in Engine

I'm glad to hear this. Thanks!!!
Alicia

Yes we all have that problem. Even though it isn't really a problem. The last that I heard about this was that the car is doing a self check on the ABS system. But I am not 100% sure on that. [/B][/QUOTE]
Old 02-21-2003, 10:50 AM

Re: Re: twang

It happens just as I am letting the clutch out in 1st gear.
This sounds more like the clutch springs may need to be lubricated. Does it happen in for any other gear?
Old 02-21-2003, 11:00 AM

Re: Re: Re: twang

No, just when I am starting off in 1st gear after I have come out of reverse. Another post said that it is normal, so I guess I won't worry about it.

This sounds more like the clutch springs may need to be lubricated. Does it happen in for any other gear? [/B][/QUOTE]
Old 02-21-2003, 11:48 AM

Check this out....

Have the same thing in my '02 6spd....

check this thread for ideas
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....5&pagenumber=1

As far as I can tell, the leveling device sounds pretty far-fetched.

The ABS scenario has yet to be proven, and my favorite so far is the emergency brake realease mechanism -> although I have yet to TEST this one.

I still have the periodic twang from my Max - and have yet to identify it.

Still need to air that one at my dealer to see what gives.

Good luck!

g.r.
Old 02-21-2003, 01:34 PM
Got Bent?

its the ABS pump cycling...