5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

smoked my clutch..maybe my tranny

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2003, 08:42 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

smoked my clutch..maybe my tranny

I was driving home this evening and noticed that it was hard to shift in to 5th. Traffic on the freeway started to slow down so I had to down shift in to 4th. It took a while to get it in to gear. It still had power so I took it up to 3k rpm and tried to shift in to 5th. I got the stick to go in to the slot, however, all I heard was grinding. I tried to go back to 4th, but it was too late. I couldn't get it in to any gear. The stick was frozen.
AAA towed me to a dealership less than a mile a way. Just last week, I went over 60k miles. It has an extended warrenty, however, once they see the super charger.... I think I'm screwed.
If it's the clutch, I was planning on buying an ACT anyways. If its the tranny.... I don't know what I'm going to do. I have about $1500 in cash (savings)and a lot in credit. Does it sound like the tranny? If the dealer doesn't cover it, how much am I looking at?

Dave
Old 03-11-2003, 08:58 PM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Re: smoked my clutch..maybe my tranny

Originally posted by smokedford
I was driving home this evening and noticed that it was hard to shift in to 5th. Traffic on the freeway started to slow down so I had to down shift in to 4th. It took a while to get it in to gear. It still had power so I took it up to 3k rpm and tried to shift in to 5th. I got the stick to go in to the slot, however, all I heard was grinding. I tried to go back to 4th, but it was too late. I couldn't get it in to any gear. The stick was frozen.
AAA towed me to a dealership less than a mile a way. Just last week, I went over 60k miles. It has an extended warrenty, however, once they see the super charger.... I think I'm screwed.
If it's the clutch, I was planning on buying an ACT anyways. If its the tranny.... I don't know what I'm going to do. I have about $1500 in cash (savings)and a lot in credit. Does it sound like the tranny? If the dealer doesn't cover it, how much am I looking at?

Dave
Damn dude. Sorry to hear this. It's too early to say. Could be either, but I'm thinking it would be the clutch, since it is a weaker link in the whole scheme of things.
Old 03-11-2003, 09:04 PM

Did you try to do a clutchless shift, ie match RPMs? If it shifted like that, then I would vote clutch. Also, did you try to start the engine with the car in gear and the clutch in? If that worked and the car lurched foward, that would also indicate a clutch issue. Otherwise I would say tranny. But its a stick. Hell of a lot cheaper than an auto.
Old 03-11-2003, 09:27 PM

Originally posted by 4doorZ
Did you try to do a clutchless shift, ie match RPMs? If it shifted like that, then I would vote clutch. Also, did you try to start the engine with the car in gear and the clutch in? If that worked and the car lurched foward, that would also indicate a clutch issue. Otherwise I would say tranny. But its a stick. Hell of a lot cheaper than an auto.
I did both. Even with the car stopped and turned off... nothing. Thats what has me worried. Even with the car off, I wasn't able to get it in to gear. Sux... The dealership has a early bird serive... I should know sometime in the morning.
I've been looking at level10.com For $730 they have a rebuilt kit for the tranny. Plus $300 for the ACT clutch. Hummmmm....
Old 03-13-2003, 02:26 PM

Ok..the dealership called and they still don't know whats wrong. Apparently, one of the techs got the stick to go in to gear, however, the car won't move. They had to get the car on a dolly and rolls it in to a bay.
They said if it lands up being the tranny, the warrenty will cover it. However, they are going to charge me $150 to remove the intake and pipes for the supercharger. I asked them if they would put in an ACT clutch since they have to take out the tranny anyways... So far, they won't. I offered to pay for the clutch and the time difference. They wouldn't budge. There is less than 8k left on my warrenty.
It doesn't make any sense for them to put factor parts back in there when its not going to hold up to the power of the supercharger.
Any advise?