5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Autotragic (long)

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2003, 03:27 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Autotragic (long)

The dealer is going to replace my Auto-tragic; I hate the idea that they’re going take half the motor bay apart. They may mess something else up (she’s still a virgin). It starts out that, I notice 2-3 shifts are starting to slip, over the last 2-3 months it seems to getting worse. So I am thinking TSB #NTB00-039d for solenoid replacement is coming due. So, last week on the way home from work, starting out, I notice first gear is winding out shifting at like 5000 rpm and shifts to 3rd, because in second gear is nothing, but slip-city. SES, comes on. Pull the code at Autozone, and obviously it something to do with malfunk of tranny lockup. Nissan Service writer calls after the second day in the shop, they’re putting in a new valve body, wtf?? And it did not fix it, so I say ‘are you sure its not like the solenoid or something simple’ … ‘OH NO’, he says. They are now trying to get Nissan to replace or rebuild the whole tranny. Anybody experience this ?? I think the shop is trying to get shop time money from Nissan. I still think it is nothing but the solenoid going bad … mileage 38 k, 2000 SE, powertrain warranty runs until 60 k. I hope the new/rebuilt tranny is bigger … badder … oh … I mean, I hope it works until 300 k miles have passed. My thoughts on re-built ones are that they were bad ones once, also.
Thoughts anyone, experiences ???
Old 03-14-2003, 07:15 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

Hmmm....I have no heard this before. Usually the TSB calls for slipping from 1st to 2nd, and/or 2nd to 3rd. If your car is totally skipping 2nd gear then there is something more to it. Maybe the dealer is right in replacing the tranny for you. I understand you don't want anything else to be damaged or messed up during a tranny install. Feel lucky though because a lot of people have gone into dealers with tranny complaints only to get turned away or half-assed fixed and then eventually having their tranny replaced. In my opinion I would welcome them replacing the tranny if they offer to.
Old 03-14-2003, 09:01 AM

I have had my tranny replaced twice. Nissan wants the tranny replaced with a rebuild, not repaired by the dealers. Call Nissan 1-800-647-7261 tell them the problem and have them contact the dealer. Since your car is in pieces you have to stay with this dealer. If it is not get your car to another dealer.

Again you should have a new rebuild, not a repair.
Old 03-14-2003, 10:02 AM
The non-postwhoring Org member

I wouldn't get your hopes up on the new tranny being any "bigger...Badder" I am on my 2nd tranny and it is already going out after only 6K miles on it... and it wasn't even a rebuilt one... due to the fact that I have an AE with the VLSD and they don't have any rebuilt.
Old 03-14-2003, 10:55 AM

Originally posted by Regime
I wouldn't get your hopes up on the new tranny being any "bigger...Badder" I am on my 2nd tranny and it is already going out after only 6K miles on it... and it wasn't even a rebuilt one... due to the fact that I have an AE with the VLSD and they don't have any rebuilt.
My second one went out in 10k miles and now I have slippage between 1-2 and 2-3 shifts on my third one.

1st tranny lasted 30k miles

2nd tranny lasted 10k miles

3rd tranny slipping 30k miles later
Old 03-14-2003, 12:03 PM
The non-postwhoring Org member

Originally posted by Maximam
My second one went out in 10k miles and now I have slippage between 1-2 and 2-3 shifts on my third one.

1st tranny lasted 30k miles

2nd tranny lasted 10k miles

3rd tranny slipping 30k miles later
Hope you have the 100k warranty
I am going to get an upgrade from my 60k warranty for free due to all the trouble I have had.
Old 03-14-2003, 11:23 PM

If i wil put some mods on my 2k2 maxima... it will break my tranny warranty? They said me "NO" but... them i do not believe
Old 03-15-2003, 04:41 AM

vlsd

I wouldn't get your hopes up on the new tranny being any "bigger...Badder" I have an AE with the VLSD and they don't have any rebuilt.

Do you think ... If I pay for the up-grade(?,vlsd)and i only mean the difference between stock vs vlsd, they would install a VLSD? would that be considered an up-grade, vlsd that is ?? and is it worth it for the auto??
They are now going to try a new TCM. They got all the gears to work with a new valve body, but still get a SES for tranny lock-up, diagnostic says 'the stator is not rotating', a sensor that measures tranny turning speed ...
Old 03-15-2003, 11:17 AM

probably some mods, but ur dealer is probably at least partially right

Originally posted by GreekMaxima
If i wil put some mods on my 2k2 maxima... it will break my tranny warranty? They said me "NO" but... them i do not believe
Old 03-15-2003, 01:09 PM

I am going to get an upgrade from my 60k warranty for free due to all the trouble I have had.
Ya I got a free Silver 100k warranty. I am trying to break it again before the 100k mark. JK
Old 03-21-2003, 12:19 PM

re-built coming

RANT
Nissan said re-built tranny coming ... About installing a Canadian VLSD (standard on Max, up there). NO WAY!! 1) they said the warranty guys would void my warranty, if they did such a thing ... ; its a Nissan tranny for crying out loud. 2) this coming from the Nissan guy (who he was a 25 yr veteran): cost prohibitive, $$up-grade to VLSD + new axles + new electronics (??) ... They said everything would bolt right in, but they're GOD ... and it would void my warranty ... I have the Gold warranty, too ... He said (Nissan guy) 'if want that up-grade, go buy an Infiniti' ... Since they said it would void my warranty ... I give up ... I can't wait til the Service Survey comes to me ...
Old 03-21-2003, 12:47 PM
2-Wheelin it...

Originally posted by GreekMaxima
was that english....
Old 03-21-2003, 01:10 PM
The Definitive AE Master

are these trannys breaking cause of a defect of what?

i've had someone neutral drop the car and the tranny is still holding up fine... though that person isn't
Old 03-21-2003, 05:55 PM

Re: Autotragic (long)

Originally posted by optimus1
Nissan Service writer calls after the second day in the shop, they’re putting in a new valve body, wtf?? And it did not fix it, so I say ‘are you sure its not like the solenoid or something simple’ … ‘OH NO’, he says.

solenoid is on the valvebody. probably they are too lazy to change just the solenoid so they decided to just change the whole thing.

or, your valvebody internals are filled with way too much metal shavings from the tranny so they decided to go with a new one.