5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.
View Poll Results: Have you had problems with your ignition coils
Yes
77.15%
No
22.85%
Voters: 709. You may not vote on this poll

Ignition Coil Problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2003, 09:29 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Ignition Coil Problems

IGNITION COIL PROBLEMS

I would like for anyone who has a 2000 Maxima who has experienced problems with their ignition coils to help me out here. I've done a pretty good amount of research on this & I think that Nissan needs to do a recall. I called Nissan & they said that if they got enough complaints that they would issue a recall. There is already a Service Bulletin out about this. When I had to have my coils replaced it was $700.00! I just think that Nissan should take some responsiblity for this obvious defect. I'm going to write a letter to Nissan & it would help if I could prove that LOTS of other people are experiencing this problem.

Thanks!
Old 03-20-2003, 05:06 PM

Re: Ignition Coil Problems

$700???
i think you got ripped off.
In my case i replaced only one, spending ~$65 at the local dealer. Though I know that some people here got their coils from Dave for $40/each. The job is very easy, so you can do it yourself and it should take less then 30 minutes.
$700?? for what??
Old 03-20-2003, 05:16 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

you should replace all 6 (that first design will eventually all go bad anyway). thats ~$240 with a discount.. but almost $400-500 at full list, which your local dealer would charge.. Add labor and diag charge and while not fair, I can see where they came up with $700. Still highway robbery, but it adds up.

yes, there should have been a recall. The problem is so subtle, that the 'no' people may not even know they need coils.
Old 03-20-2003, 06:45 PM
Pele ain't got nothing on me

Replaced mine at 42k miles. Good thing I had an extended warranty to cover the cost (minus the $50 deductible).
Old 03-20-2003, 06:52 PM
Got Bent?

I replaced all of mine around 25k miles myself even before the TSB was issued... I dynod my car and I was putting out much lower numbers and the plot was jagged... it seemed to point to an ignition problem so I replaced them with a set of newer coils that I got from Dave Burnette... it definitely helped...
Old 03-20-2003, 06:57 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I also replaced all of my coils at about 15K before the TSB was issued. But I managed to get Nissan to pay for it under my warranty.

If I could vote twice, I would. My wife's coils were replaced at 40K miles under her extended warranty.

So far, all we're out for two sets of coils is my wife's extended warranty deductible.
Old 03-20-2003, 07:08 PM

Dave B is currently charging $50 per coil, so $300 for all 6. Dublin Nissan charges $105 for diagnosis, $80 per coil for part and $115 to install one coil. Never take your car there for coil replacement. That would be great if Nissan replaced them free of charge under a recall but they never will. Oh, by the way, I have a 2000 Maxima will coil problems.
Old 03-20-2003, 07:29 PM

Originally posted by TimW
you should replace all 6 (that first design will eventually all go bad anyway). thats ~$240 with a discount.. but almost $400-500 at full list, which your local dealer would charge.. Add labor and diag charge and while not fair, I can see where they came up with $700. Still highway robbery, but it adds up.

yes, there should have been a recall. The problem is so subtle, that the 'no' people may not even know they need coils.
It's a direct ignition system, each spark plug has its own ignition coil. why do you have to replace all 6?
Old 03-20-2003, 08:03 PM

because testing a coil is really hard. they may look ok on the meter, but under load will fail. And if you plan on keeping the car for any length of time, there is a high likelihood that most of the others (old design) will give you a problem. Nissan is replacing all 6 when done under warranty, they arent doing that because they are generous.

if all you can afford is one, then do one... but you will save time and money in the long run by doing all.
Old 03-20-2003, 08:40 PM

Hey TimW,

Is there a reasonable way to tell/test the subtle failure u mentioned above for the 'no' ppl?

Also, your avatar cracks me up, man ...

420hp water-cooled twin-turbo power plant dreams
SHIFT_woosh
Old 03-20-2003, 09:15 PM

well, there was discussion a few days ago here that you could test for an open coil, but being that you are really testing the inductance, you might need a scope.. and even then, a scope isnt going to replicate the load that the ignition system puts on it.

my car ran fine and pulled hard. I dont think you could really tell by even spirited driving. I think my ECU was retarding the timing all the time and I didnt even know. When I went in for tranny work, I mentioned some rough idle. The tech drove it with the consult II and said I needed coils. I didnt even ask... lucky me.
Old 09-11-2003, 03:50 AM

I have 36k miles and don't know if I need any coils... I have done some data logging via the Auterra scantool and notice the ECU is retarding the ignition timing a lot, however...
Idle isn't really rough on mine, however whenever I rev up and let the revs drop to idle, it feels like it stumbles a bit when it lands at 400-500 RPM, then recovers to 650-700 RPM. Also, when the engine's cold and I first take it out in the morning, I feel a stumbl/misfire or two going down the road... never feel it afterwards.
I do have an extended warranty with the dealer chain I bought mine from...
What should I tell the dealer? (Hey, I'm aware of a TSB regarding the ignition system on these cars, I'm curious whether my car suffers from this problem... could you guys take a look?) ?
Old 09-11-2003, 02:07 PM

I had to get new coils at 36k miles, all frick'n 6 of them. The dealer said he's never seen a car that needed them this early, and definitely not all 6. I wish I would have done this my self, cuz it cost me out the ***.
Old 09-11-2003, 03:44 PM

Mine went out at 78k. I paid $606 which included all 6 coils, Diagnostic test, labor, and 6 new spark plugs. I ordered the parts from Greg V @Mossy Nissan Oceanside the total for the parts with shipping was 400 bucks. LOL I had them shipped to the dealer where my car was at to install them the diagnostic was $80 and the labor was $126. They were like Holy **** how did you get them soo cheap! The dealer thats closest to me wanted 600 just for the coils lol! MAGGOTS
Old 09-11-2003, 08:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Yes Recall!

I had the exact same problem with my ignition coils at 45K. All six had to be replaced. My dealer quoted me some rediculous price around $900. I love my maxima, but I would've sold it before I had to pay $900 to fix it! I ended up calling Nissan and raised a rampage. 3 weeks later, they agreed to pay for the fix. I've driven the car for 15K since, and have had no problems so far. Apparently this is a very common problems amoung 2000 maximas, and it is Nissan's obligation to issue a recall!
Old 09-11-2003, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by SESESESE
I had the exact same problem with my ignition coils at 45K. All six had to be replaced. My dealer quoted me some rediculous price around $900. I love my maxima, but I would've sold it before I had to pay $900 to fix it! I ended up calling Nissan and raised a rampage. 3 weeks later, they agreed to pay for the fix. I've driven the car for 15K since, and have had no problems so far. Apparently this is a very common problems amoung 2000 maximas, and it is Nissan's obligation to issue a recall!
Wow. I had one go out at 75k miles. It was idling rough and pulled the code that cylinder 3 was not firing... I was cussing up a storm. Well I knew we had bad ignition coils to start off. So at autozone I pop the hood and look at the coil on cylinder 3.... Well I wiggled it around, and walla. It works.... Only for a little while. Randomly the coil will malfunction again and the wiggiling of the coil remedy's the problem... but I finally bought new coils and got a hella of a deal on em. They come in Friday.
Old 09-12-2003, 08:50 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

To the guys who are getting Nissan to replace the coils, are the coils bad b4 you go to Nissan or are you getting Nissan to replace them b/c you have talked them into knowing they will eventually go bad?
Old 09-12-2003, 09:41 AM
Cletus

ok so are people replacing bad coils with the same coils? cause they will just go bad again!
or are they actually a diffirent (better) coil?
mine seem fine for now so i dont see a reason for changing them unless i will be putting a better coil in and not just a new bad one.
hope that makes sense
Old 09-12-2003, 12:14 PM

I just got my service mgr. to replace mine under Nissan's "Good Will" program.

Had been complaining about it since last fall (50-55k miles then). I finally printed off the TSB and took it in to the service mgr. so he knew he couldn't blow smoke up my shorts.

I agree with TimW, most of the time people will not even be aware of the problem. I had the 'intermittent detonation' referred to in the TSB, mine never threw a code at all.

Good luck!
Old 09-12-2003, 12:24 PM

Makes me wonder... so Nissan can hook up the Consult-II and test this?
I'm going to the dealer regarding the dipstick (at least ask them if there's SOMETHING I can do about it, because right now my dipstick is 100% USELESS, and I've tried several tricks... pushing it in & pulling out fast, letting it sit for a while, etc), maybe I'll ask them to test my coils...
Old 09-12-2003, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by soonerfan
ok so are people replacing bad coils with the same coils? cause they will just go bad again!
or are they actually a diffirent (better) coil?
mine seem fine for now so i dont see a reason for changing them unless i will be putting a better coil in and not just a new bad one.
hope that makes sense

There are new coils out. you dont get the same type of coil. In otherwords there is a new part number.
Old 09-12-2003, 02:33 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

Is this for the 00-01's or do the 02-03-'s apply to this? Curious if Nissan put better coils in the 02-03 models...
Old 09-12-2003, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Fezzik
There are new coils out. you dont get the same type of coil. In otherwords there is a new part number.

How do you determine if you need new coils? I have hesitation on cold starts, as well as when the engine is at idle.

How do we make a claim to Nissan? Can somone post phone numbers of those at Nissan who will act on our behalf?
Old 09-12-2003, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by maximadave
Is this for the 00-01's or do the 02-03-'s apply to this? Curious if Nissan put better coils in the 02-03 models...
To the best of my knowledge, this was really only for the 2000, and maybe the 2001. Apparently they put better coils on the 2k2 and up so no problems for you in that department.

Originally Posted by slowlane
How do you determine if you need new coils? I have hesitation on cold starts, as well as when the engine is at idle...
I actually threw a code saying I had a misfire in cylinder #3 and it threw an ses code. That's how I found out. Some people took it to their nissian service center with the TSB and got it done.... It's up to you wether u want to do the TSB or let them do it for more money (A LOT MORE)
Old 09-19-2003, 10:49 AM

Add me to the list of those getting replaced. Car is at the mechanic as we speak getting repaired under extended warranty. I'm at 68k miles.
Old 09-19-2003, 09:40 PM

I had this done one week before my 3 yrs ran out. I was like at 27,000 miles. But they only replaced the front row of coils, after reading some other posts and plus the knock I got a few days ago gets me worried about this again. Luckily this'll qualify for one year deal on work they did. So I've got to go bother the heck out of them now with TSB in hand.
This thread convinced me to do so before the next situation hits me with the coils again.

I went into the shop at the dealer today for my 30k standard maintenance and mentioned the whirring and found out they want to bang me for about $600. They back order the rear mount and now I'm left having to fight with them for being over 3yrs on a pre-existing problem with a TSB out since 2/15/01. Of course to the dealership they tell me its the manufacturer etc. So I'll try this route first.
Anyhow any advice?

I expect they will jerk me and then I will never buy another Nissan again should they do so.
00 SE
OEM Parts...
"If I wanted car problems I would've bought a Ford Focus"
Old 09-19-2003, 10:00 PM

Hey, guys, my car has been knocking periodically. From what i have read i should have the coils replaced. What do you guys think is the best way approach the dealer on fixing it for free?
Old 09-19-2003, 10:54 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have this problem right now.

My Maxima just came out of warranty on sept 5th 2003. On september 15th my Engine light came on and I took it to the dealer. I had this problem occur once before around 5 months back but the dealer could not trace the problem and they just reset the light.
The Dealer said its the Ignition coil and the cost is around $800
I spoke to Nissan co-orp and they representative said they will cover it free of cost. This happened on Sept 16th. That day the dealer called and said it will be done too. I was happy. Then when I was just about to go get my car, I had a call and they said there was some problem with the computer not allowing them to do this on Free will.
they said they will sought this thing out and let me know on Thursday Sept 18th. On Sept 18th, Nissan co-orp called me and tole me they need one more day. On Sept 19th today, I finally got a call and they are now denying my claim.
I have only 23000 miles on my car in 3 years. Now Nissan co-orp has asked me to plead to my dealer to take this on free will and I am planning to do that on Monday 22nd of September.

Any help with this will be appreciated.

Originally Posted by lynnreeves
IGNITION COIL PROBLEMS

I would like for anyone who has a 2000 Maxima who has experienced problems with their ignition coils to help me out here. I've done a pretty good amount of research on this & I think that Nissan needs to do a recall. I called Nissan & they said that if they got enough complaints that they would issue a recall. There is already a Service Bulletin out about this. When I had to have my coils replaced it was $700.00! I just think that Nissan should take some responsiblity for this obvious defect. I'm going to write a letter to Nissan & it would help if I could prove that LOTS of other people are experiencing this problem.

Thanks!
Old 09-19-2003, 10:54 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I have 54K on my 2k SE. I've had to replace 2 coils already, and I still have rough acceleration after cold starts. I didn't pay $17,000 for a car that I have to **ck with all the time. Let us all know what we can do to help!!!!
Old 09-19-2003, 11:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Guys,
We need to send a petition out to Nissan. I am going to speak to these suckers again on Monday and am going to mention this forum and the complaints. How about we all damn call them up on a certain day and mention the same. I'll draft some thing this weekend and upload it in. I wiould like you guys to review and reformat this draft. I am new to this forum but is there a way to send this out to all the members. Will the moderator help with this.
Let me know.
Pari.

Originally Posted by Breadman40
I have 54K on my 2k SE. I've had to replace 2 coils already, and I still have rough acceleration after cold starts. I didn't pay $17,000 for a car that I have to **ck with all the time. Let us all know what we can do to help!!!!
Old 09-20-2003, 01:30 AM

Can someone please post TSB # for Coils.
Thanks
Old 09-20-2003, 08:24 PM

TSBs sticky check out your other potential issues. I'm going to have to hammer away too on the ECM TSB, plus this coil problem. We need to also do our diligence Better Buisness Bureau complaints, your local State Attorney General should be CC'd on any written complaints too. Put the pressure on.
"If I wanted problems I would've bought a Ford Focus".
Old 09-20-2003, 08:26 PM

NTB01-059
See the sticky Kev made on TSB's highly recommended.
Old 09-20-2003, 11:11 PM

Ok guys. I got my new coils in.... Well I am wrong... It IS THE SAME PART number.... I called Dave B up and was like, what the heck.. I already have the TSB done? i was kinda of confused. He told me the only difference physcially on the outside is the new ones have a Silver dot on them. Wow i had no clue. but I got my new coils for hella cheap and they are workin great!
Old 09-21-2003, 11:54 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi,
Can any one of you let me know how to contact Dave B?
Thanks

Ok guys. I got my new coils in.... Well I am wrong... It IS THE SAME PART number.... I called Dave B up and was like, what the heck.. I already have the TSB done? i was kinda of confused. He told me the only difference physcially on the outside is the new ones have a Silver dot on them. Wow i had no clue. but I got my new coils for hella cheap and they are workin great!
Old 09-21-2003, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by pari
Hi,
Can any one of you let me know how to contact Dave B?
Thanks
Dave B's number is 1-888-254-6060
Old 09-26-2003, 04:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by pari
Guys,
We need to send a petition out to Nissan. I am going to speak to these suckers again on Monday and am going to mention this forum and the complaints. How about we all damn call them up on a certain day and mention the same. I'll draft some thing this weekend and upload it in. I wiould like you guys to review and reformat this draft. I am new to this forum but is there a way to send this out to all the members. Will the moderator help with this.
Let me know.
Pari.
Put me on the list..My car is @ the dealer as we speak.
My extended warrenty will only cover the one coil that is bad.
Im so f***ing ****ed.Ive had my car for only 3 months.
The dealer wants appx $700-800 bucks for all coils.
What can I do? I think Nissan should issue a recall!

Yeah im ****ed.. bty 200 SE 5 speed.
Old 09-26-2003, 05:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Put me on the list..My car is @ the dealer as we speak.
My extended warrenty will only cover the one coil that is bad.
Im so f***ing ****ed.Ive had my car for only 3 months.
The dealer wants appx $700-800 bucks for all coils.
What can I do? I think Nissan should issue a recall!

Yeah im ****ed.. bty 200 SE 5 speed.
Old 09-28-2003, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by TimW
And how would I know if my coils are going bad or not??

Currently my car is idling at the proper speed but it feels rough. Im not sure if its the plugs or coils or both. I have a lil over 78K on the car,and since I bought it used I have no idea of its past service history. I also notice a slight lack of power,..Feels like a 10-20hp drop-off. I used to be able to burn my old 16" yokohamas,now I cant even chirp the 17" blow-tenzas,which have about half the grip the yoko's did .
Old 09-29-2003, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Black2000maxima
And how would I know if my coils are going bad or not??

Currently my car is idling at the proper speed but it feels rough. Im not sure if its the plugs or coils or both. I have a lil over 78K on the car,and since I bought it used I have no idea of its past service history. I also notice a slight lack of power,..Feels like a 10-20hp drop-off. I used to be able to burn my old 16" yokohamas,now I cant even chirp the 17" blow-tenzas,which have about half the grip the yoko's did .
Well look and see if you have the silver dot on your ignition coils. U can see if u do without taking them out. If you have 78K on your car. THis is what I did to mine which has same amount. First, replace the ignition coils, and spark plugs (use the stock NGK plat). Then clean your throttle body, then replace the fuel filter, air filter, ECU updates. May even take the injectors out and clean them. Also, you said u could burn the 16" I used to be able to and my 17" i can barely get to chirp. That's a lot more weight at the wheels for the engine to turn. that was my reasoning.

Quick Reply: Ignition Coil Problems