5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Bizarre window problem with brand new 2003 GXE

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2003, 09:49 AM

Bizarre window problem with brand new 2003 GXE

I bought another Maxima last night (2003 GXE with no options except painted mud flaps, floor and trunk mats for $21,395+ttl -- Herb Gordon Nissan in Maryland) and uncovered a bizarre problem when I got home. I turned the ignition key to the "off" position and removed the key from the ignition. This caused the front windows to roll all the way down!

I tried it again and sure enough, it happened again. I spent a few minutes swearing, and then tried it again. This time, the windows didn't move; so I opened the door to exit the vehicle and then the windows went down, starting at the moment that I opened the door. I wonder if the wires that drive the window relays have come into contact with some other wires that go hot upon opening the door, and/or removing the key from the ignition, etc.?

I tried it again this morning, and the problem still exists (it wasn't a dream, unfortunately). Seems to have settled on lowering the windows when I open the door, and not when I remove the key from the ignition. The good news is that it happens 100% of the time (nothing worse than an intermittent electrical problem that can't be reproduced).

A local dealer wants to see the car as soon as I can bring it in. I guess they get 4 chances to fix it over the next 15 months according to the Maryland Lemon laws, but hopefully it's something simple.

Any suggestions on where I should have the technician focus? I would like it fixed the first time since it is very inconvenient to have my car in the shop.

Thanks,
Mat
Old 03-19-2003, 09:53 AM
Wat

Re: Bizarre window problem with brand new 2003 GXE

Weird
Old 03-19-2003, 10:50 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Originally posted by expat0007
I bought another Maxima last night (2003 GXE with no options except painted mud flaps, floor and trunk mats for $21,395+ttl -- Herb Gordon Nissan in Maryland) and uncovered a bizarre problem when I got home. I turned the ignition key to the "off" position and removed the key from the ignition. This caused the front windows to roll all the way down!

I tried it again and sure enough, it happened again. I spent a few minutes swearing, and then tried it again. This time, the windows didn't move; so I opened the door to exit the vehicle and then the windows went down, starting at the moment that I opened the door. I wonder if the wires that drive the window relays have come into contact with some other wires that go hot upon opening the door, and/or removing the key from the ignition, etc.?

I tried it again this morning, and the problem still exists (it wasn't a dream, unfortunately). Seems to have settled on lowering the windows when I open the door, and not when I remove the key from the ignition. The good news is that it happens 100% of the time (nothing worse than an intermittent electrical problem that can't be reproduced).

A local dealer wants to see the car as soon as I can bring it in. I guess they get 4 chances to fix it over the next 15 months according to the Maryland Lemon laws, but hopefully it's something simple.

Any suggestions on where I should have the technician focus? I would like it fixed the first time since it is very inconvenient to have my car in the shop.

Thanks,
Mat
I have the feeling that maybe the unlock button on your keyfob might be stuck since holding down the unlock on the keyfob rolls down the windows. That would explain why it happens right after you pull the key out of the ignition due to the fact that the keyfob doesn't work unless the key is out of the ignition.
Old 03-19-2003, 10:52 AM
The silent but deadly Moderator

SECU is toast..

-OR- your car was vandalized for the HIDs. One of the things they do when stealing HIDs is pop the driver door lock and access the window control wires in the doors.. they short them and the windows roll down. That could also toast the SECU. or leave it really freaked out

You need to inspect the wires for the headlight harness. they shouldn't be yellow. Check you door for pry marks or repairs.

Get a discount, free extended warranty or a lawyer.. or all three..
Old 03-19-2003, 10:57 AM

Re: Re: Bizarre window problem with brand new 2003 GXE

Originally posted by MaximaZero

I have the feeling that maybe the unlock button on your keyfob might be stuck since holding down the unlock on the keyfob rolls down the windows. That would explain why it happens right after you pull the key out of the ignition due to the fact that the keyfob doesn't work unless the key is out of the ignition.
I thought about that, so I tried pressing the unlock button on both remotes and listening for the "door unlocking sound" -- I did hear it, which implied to me that the door unlock button was not stuck in the "pressed" position. I will bring both remotes to the dealer this afternoon however, in case my testing wasn't relevant.

Thanks,
Mat
Old 03-19-2003, 12:03 PM

If you just got it last night, you still have time to back out on the deal. I think you have up to 3 days. If you suspect any problems, take it back and get a different car. I would not want my day old car in the shop for electrical issues.
Old 03-19-2003, 12:09 PM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Originally posted by maximamaybe
If you just got it last night, you still have time to back out on the deal. I think you have up to 3 days. If you suspect any problems, take it back and get a different car. I would not want my day old car in the shop for electrical issues.
I second, third and fourth this idea. PLEASE take TimW's comment to heart and REALLY inspect you stuff. Look for black electrical tape and everything. We are watchin out for ya... Good Luck!
Old 03-19-2003, 12:10 PM

Re: Re: Bizarre window problem with brand new 2003 GXE

i didnt no holding down unlock rolls down the windows! how come no one ever told me

Originally posted by MaximaZero

Old 03-19-2003, 12:17 PM

Thanks,
Mat
Totally strange. Have you ever tried to roll the windows up after you'd shut off the car? As soon as you open the door, power is cut off. There's got to be some sort of wiring issue. I mean, once the doors open, the windows don't go up or down at all.
Old 03-19-2003, 04:05 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Bizarre window problem with brand new 2003 GXE

Originally posted by max...to the ma
i didnt no holding down unlock rolls down the windows! how come no one ever told me

Are you one of those guys who dont read the owner's manual?
Old 03-20-2003, 06:53 AM

I took the car to the Nissan dealer and they couldn't fix it in 2 hours, so I had to leave it with them. Thank god I have an extra car for the next few days while I am waiting for my car to sell.

They think they know what the problem is, but apparently the testing to confirm the problem takes some time. They should be calling me today with the answer.

re: 3-day "cool off" period -- doesn't exist in Maryland. The dealer that I bought the car from has offered to drive down, leave a loaner car, and take the car back and get it fixed. So I think I am covered.

I didn't have time to check the light harnesses, so I will have to hold on to get the car back. The dealer said that the car was new, and wasn't damaged, and visual inspection doesn't offer any clues.

The only good news is that the problem happens 100% of the time, so they will know for certain if they have fixed it.

I'll post a final resolution when I have something from the service dept. Maybe this problem is what I get for buying a 2003 GXE for $21,395.

Ciao,
Mat
Old 03-20-2003, 07:20 AM

I didn't have time to check the light harnesses, so I will have to hold on to get the car back. The dealer said that the car was new, and wasn't damaged, and visual inspection doesn't offer any clues.
Of course they would :/ If it was the SECU, they would have fixed it in 30 mins. You do need to check those harnesses and find out what they did. Dealers are not being honest about the extend of damage done to the 100s of maximas sitting on the lot.
Old 03-20-2003, 07:41 AM

I will get as much detail as possible. If I have evidence that suggests the vehicle was damaged while on the lot, I will demand some sort of compensation depending on the type of damage.

FWIW, the dealer said they don't see the headlights being stolen, especially given that so many cars have them today. He did say they do have cars stolen and blamed their proximity to Baltimore; I would imagine that parts would get stolen as well therefore.

I guess I should be looking for unevenness of the door metal around the locks, re-painting evidence, as well as "hack" marks on the headlight harnesses and/or splices in the headlight cables?

Can a dealer sell a refurbed car as new? Sounds illegal to me. For example - new cars that sustain hail damage and are repaired are not sold as new.

tnx,
Mat
Old 03-20-2003, 07:50 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

...Can a dealer sell a refurbed car as new? Sounds illegal to me. For example - new cars that sustain hail damage and are repaired are not sold as new.

tnx,
Mat
No thats why TimW is being insistant. Dont let the "new" car feel overwhelm your rights as a buyer.
Old 03-20-2003, 07:56 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Well..

It happened to me.. I got a new Max from a dealer that had previously had its lights stolen and replaced.. I'm still trying to combat this, but not getting anywhere. NNA says they can't do anything and the dealer claims he "can't see any signs of previous work" when i point out obvious things..

Check out this thread: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ID+springfield

Later,
Nick
Old 03-21-2003, 09:05 AM

I spoke to the service guy and they believe they have diagnosed the problem.

A part (part no. 806032Y911) called a "switch assembly" and also known as a "body control module" is defective and behaving as though the key has been inserted in the lock, turned and held in the unlock position, causing the windows to lower.

Been in the shop for 2 days and should be fixed and ready for me to take home this evening.

I'll check the headlight wires when I get the car back and hope they are not the yellow ones...

Ciao,
Mat
Old 03-21-2003, 09:16 AM

that would be switch in the door they pop out with a screw driver. :/
Old 03-21-2003, 09:18 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

My driver window will roll up then roll down by it self sometimes
Old 07-12-2003, 12:38 PM

THIS is exactly hapennning to me TOOO, and sometimes, when I Auto pop-up, it comes back down a little.

Oh my god, they opened when I was sleeping once, and were open the whole night. Now, it was open all morning today. Then, when I went out to wash the car and closed the windows, a minute later they opened again....what the hell!?
Old 07-12-2003, 11:20 PM

Weird power window behavior in the maxima is not uncommon. Several people (me included) have reported unintended window activities. My driver window will not stay closed if I use the auto-up feature--as if there is an obstruction, which there is not. This sort of behavior has been reported several times here. I have heard of no-one who was delighted with the dealer's attempts to repair this. This is just one of the problems I intend to address when my maxima goes in next month. Sadly I must say that my '03 SE has more problems than any other new car I have ever owned. I thought I was avoiding this sort of thing when I chose the maxima over the Jaguar x-type.
Old 07-13-2003, 07:06 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Originally posted by jay beede
Weird power window behavior in the maxima is not uncommon. Several people (me included) have reported unintended window activities. My driver window will not stay closed if I use the auto-up feature--as if there is an obstruction, which there is not. This sort of behavior has been reported several times here. I have heard of no-one who was delighted with the dealer's attempts to repair this. This is just one of the problems I intend to address when my maxima goes in next month. Sadly I must say that my '03 SE has more problems than any other new car I have ever owned. I thought I was avoiding this sort of thing when I chose the maxima over the Jaguar x-type.
The Jaguar X-Type is nothing more than a rebadged and slightly reworked Ford mondeo (the new "Contour" essentially). The Nissan "should" be a better car, but you never know...
Old 07-13-2003, 08:01 AM

well, I went and locked the car using the key, and then armed the alarm using the remote, no window going down yet.