5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Let's get this engine breathing (VQ35)

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2003, 10:43 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Let's get this engine breathing (VQ35)

So, after much discussion, I find that the primary power limiter for the Maxi engine is its intake manifold. This is the primary difference between the Maxi VQ and the 350Z VQ. So I suggest we try to get an intake manifold produced. (As the 350Z's manifold has been proven not to fit)

Obviously, there are a few drawbacks to his mod:
1) It'll be expensive
2) It'll void the warranty
3) The increase in power will hurt the feelings of mustang guys.

I'm not claiming to have a source on a shop that can get us price on fabricated or modified intake plenums. But I am willing to bet that with enough support, we can get something done.

Please respond to this thread with ideas about how to reconcile with the problem with the Maxima's VQ.
OR
With possible companies that could help us.
OR
With support for this project so we can bring that support to companies that might sign on.

I'll be working as hard as my time allows to get this project off the ground. Thanks in advance for any support or criticism (please let’s keep that constructive
__________________________________________________ ___________________
DJSCIASCIA responded to this in another thread:
"I've been looking into this....the 6th gen manifold should be able to bolt on to the 5th gens...

I'm sure Emax will have the ***** to do the job."

__________________________________________________ ___________________

I don't think Nissan is going to want to do a group deal on their 6th gen intake, but it's something to look into. Even if there is no group deal, if it fits, I think I'll bolt it on. Let's try to find out if it fits. I'm going to post in the 6th gen Forum to see if someone is crazy enough to do a temp swap to see if it fits. I'm in Chicago, so I'll volunteer my car in that area. Anyone willing to volunteer their car in other areas? Ignore that "crazy enough" comment I just made.
Old 03-21-2003, 12:13 PM
vqman

bump

I like drawback #3

-vq

Old 03-21-2003, 01:44 PM

does the max have the VIAS?

or "power" valve as the shop manual calls it? If so you could make that a bigger valve pretty easily

Currently my VIAS opens at 3800 rpm (pretty sure but I know it is close). That looks like it helps alot as it keeps the intake small during low rpm's

variable intake, variable exhaust (max only), there has to be ways we can tune these things to make the VQ moe betta
Old 03-21-2003, 02:30 PM

Re: bump

LOL

Originally posted by VQMAN
I like drawback #3

-vq
Old 03-21-2003, 02:59 PM

We can try to rent one from Enterprise and disect it hows that, most guys want their warranty!
Old 03-22-2003, 09:50 AM

the intake manifold's probably all screwed up already!
Old 03-22-2003, 10:28 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

I'm pretty sure the "other" DAVEB (Nissan parts guy) has already checked on the intake manifold for the 6th gen and it's exactly the same as the 5th gen 3.5 VQ.

Dave
Old 03-23-2003, 01:54 AM

Originally posted by Dave B
I'm pretty sure the "other" DAVEB (Nissan parts guy) has already checked on the intake manifold for the 6th gen and it's exactly the same as the 5th gen 3.5 VQ.

Dave
Dave, could you check with dave about that to be sure? If you could, ask hime what parts are different. Or point me in his direction. thanks
Old 03-23-2003, 07:55 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The 6th gen manifold is indeed the same as the 5th gen manifold. As for having a custom built manifold.. I spoke to Steve from franken car (back when he existed) about this. Let's just say it's extremly expensive. With the small market share we have it will never be built.

Ever think of of trying the air hornes off of a Nismo bulit VQ35? Haha..

Ohh while I am here.. I spoke to DAVEB (the parts guy) about fitting a 2001 manifold onto my 2002. He compared the lower manifold/head gaskets and came to the conclusion a 2001 manifold will never fit on a 2002.
Old 03-23-2003, 09:07 AM

Extrude hone the high-rpm intake runner path? port and polish the throttle body?
Old 03-23-2003, 09:14 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Originally posted by Chinkzilla
Extrude hone the high-rpm intake runner path? port and polish the throttle body?
Pathfinder TB? Larger MAF and TB?
Old 03-23-2003, 11:31 AM

Originally posted by Quicksilver

Pathfinder TB? Larger MAF and TB?

Pathfinder TB is the same size as ours. Q45's TB may be larger.
Old 03-23-2003, 12:03 PM

A bigger TB and MAF is a good exterior mod, but the plenum is the big limiter.

2k2 guys going turbo? I heard that the 2k1 heads fit the 2k2 but they lower compression. The 2k1 manifolds (intake and exhaust) would be needed I guess, but lower compression and higher boost means POWER. I'm waiting on a kit to come out for the 2k2... and I hope I can scratch up $4000+.

Too bad about the other manifolds not fitting. Maybe machining the 2k2 plenum will work. I'll see what I come up with.

Keep ideas coming.
Old 03-23-2003, 12:21 PM
Banned

Originally posted by emax02
The 6th gen manifold is indeed the same as the 5th gen manifold. As for having a custom built manifold.. I spoke to Steve from franken car (back when he existed) about this. Let's just say it's extremly expensive. With the small market share we have it will never be built.

Ever think of of trying the air hornes off of a Nismo bulit VQ35? Haha..

Ohh while I am here.. I spoke to DAVEB (the parts guy) about fitting a 2001 manifold onto my 2002. He compared the lower manifold/head gaskets and came to the conclusion a 2001 manifold will never fit on a 2002.
Steve from Frankencar back when he existed?? Is that to say he's out of business now, or............
Old 03-23-2003, 07:02 PM

Originally posted by Chinkzilla
Old 03-23-2003, 08:51 PM
VQ Wizard

Old 03-24-2003, 02:29 AM

Getting a new IM made is a waste of time

The cost would far surpass what anyone would want to pay for it. I say just modify the Z IM to fit or modify the hood. Also if you want the engine to breathe you need to get a more agressive camshaft grind too. The difference in power between the Z and altima/max is the IM because all the other parts are the same. Before anyone says there aren't any cams available you have to get an extra set and send them to be reground. Companies like ISKY, Crower, Paeco, Schnieder would gladly regrind the cams. All you need to do is supply the OEM specs and a dyno, plus anyother info on how you want the car to idle. If anyone wants to get a spare VQ35DE go to www.car-part.com and get one.
Old 03-24-2003, 03:29 AM

mardigrasmax has a VQ35DE already, perhaps he could be convinced to lend the cams to someone for the greater good of us vq35 ppl?

I had long speculated that the difference in power between the various vq35's were due to more aggressive cam profiling and different manifold designs. Apparently this is not so, as the Z and the maxima share most of these components sans the intake manifold. This leads me to believe much of the difference lies in the actual programming of the ECU.

This leaves us with a few options:

1. Swap in a Z ECU. Your car may not start. If it does start you will probably through a whole lot of codes. With a little tweaking though, it might work.

2. Swap in a Z intake manifold. You'll need a custom hood and some creative intake re-piping. This might not net impressive gains in and of itself, but combined with the above might be well worth it.

3. Swap in the stillen root's type supercharger kit. This bolts directly to the head as it is a direct IM replacement. See above considerations.

3. Buy aftermarket cams intended for the Z (nismo). This may or may not work since it has been mentioned that the Z has timing control on both the intake and exhaust valves where as the Max has only intake. This is unconfirmed but were it not to work, it would be an expensive mistake.

4. Develop cam regrinds for the VQ35DE. This would have wide ranging applications and potential, as many platforms would be able to utilize this. It might actually not be too hard to convince a company that this is a profitable venture. Again, full potential would not be realized without ECU reprogramming, and modified fuel delivery.

5. Somehow modify the intake manifold and head for better top end gains. Extrude honing, port/polish, port match, valve-job. Very expensive.

6. Turbo-charge it Of course this takes all the fun out of the whole N/A tuning deal, but then again.. maybe not..

This is just a personal assessment of the options available. Of course it would take a person well endowed of free time and uncommonly deep pockets to tackle these. Fortunately, there seems to be an abundunce of these individuals on the .orgy
Old 03-24-2003, 10:16 AM

bumpity