5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Y and B install?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2003, 05:52 PM

Y and B install?

Not having the search function stinks. I'm going to be getting the WSP Y and B pipes installed this week and was wondering if anyone could email me some pics of the install with info, obsticles and suggestions for the install. Example: Heat shield, banging, etc. Thank you guys!
Old 03-24-2003, 05:40 AM

bump
Old 03-24-2003, 07:37 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Don't you now have to be a donating member to use the search. I'm about to when I get my suspension done.
Old 03-24-2003, 08:01 AM

Are you going to do the install yourself?
Old 03-24-2003, 08:34 AM

No. I'm taking it to AutoThority in fairfax. I don't have a plethory or tools and my HOA prohibits me working on my car in the townhouse parking lot. I can't wait to by the mother ship so I don't have to worry about HOA.
Old 03-24-2003, 08:45 AM

Originally posted by Virus
No. I'm taking it to AutoThority in fairfax. I don't have a plethory or tools and my HOA prohibits me working on my car in the townhouse parking lot. I can't wait to by the mother ship so I don't have to worry about HOA.
Why did you choose Autothority?

I have a y-pipe that I will be installing soon. I hope to do the install in a friend's garage.
Old 03-24-2003, 09:11 AM

I chose them because a coworker has had alot of work done with them and they have always provided good service. I had my UDP installed by them and so far I haven't had any of the problems with belts squeeking like others have.
Old 03-24-2003, 09:19 AM

Will you be the first Maxima to be serviced? Good luck! They obviously did good work with that Porsche project!
Old 03-24-2003, 10:37 AM

Re: Y and B install?

What are they going to charge for the Y and B pipe install?

Jack
Old 03-24-2003, 11:12 AM

Warning:

The Y hangs too low. I had mine installed 2 Saturdays ago. Basically what happens is that the rear section of the Y pipe hangs lower than the stock Y. So that brings the Cat and the B pipe lower. In doing so, there is a metal support brace under the car just to the rear of the Cat that helps with structual support as well as a "safety-catch" for the exhaust system.

Also on mine, the gasket/seal that connects the B pipe to the stock muffler pipe was the wrong size. Not really a problem, but it did require a trip to the local auto store (and the hassle of locating a gasket/seal that fit).

I didn't want to remove the brace, so I took the piping (already installed) to a local muffler shop for advice. They remedied the problem, but it cost an additional $100.

Basically what they did was cut the Y pipe at the Y joint. They then inserted a 1" straight 2.5" tube (yours may be 2.25") at an angle so that the rear section of the Y pipe was raised back into the hole where the factory Y pipe sat. Because of this insertion, they had to remove a 1" section of the B pipe because the WSP Y pipe is now 1" longer. They removed the section after the resonator, but before the bend at the rear of the B pipe.

No curved cuts were made.

I then had them replace the 2" stock muffler pipe with a 2.5" pipe, but it's crushed-bent. It was better than the 2" crush bent section. However, be advised that the 2.5" section is a tight fit over the axel, and may cause a bumping noise if a severe turn is taken at higher speeds.

Also, be advised of the following...

Your fuel/air ratio will change, and may cause a change in gas milage. I didn't notice this until I hit a dyno in Washington D.C. while I was testing some products for the car. I got 11.5 miles/gallon because I was running really really rich. I had a WAI, WSP Y, WSP Cat, WSP B, and a cheap medium-flow muffler (to create some back-pressure). Normal driving yeilded little change in gas milage. It was only noticed when I was consistently flooring/racing the car.

I installed a Greddy E-Manage unit on the car. It basically intercepts the MAF signal and allows you to adjust it. After 6 runs on the dyno, I got it tuned. No installation problems were encountered, and I did it myself.

As for the E-Manage unit... read this:

I drove over 3000 miles in the last 1.5 weeks. 6 days (1500 miles) of that was with the E-Managed installed. Since it's installation, I have consistently maintained over 24 MPG on the highway. Considering that 24 MPG was my "high" point before the install, this was good. On one certain leg of my trip, I got 26.1 MPG and went 440 miles on 1 tank.

I just arrived back in Orlando on Sunday evening and have not yet filled up with gas. Once I have driven 2 or 3 tanks worth in the city, I'll post a whole thread regarding the unit.

Just wanted you to be informed about what I ran into.
Old 03-24-2003, 11:15 AM

Re: Re: Y and B install?

Originally posted by jarturo
What are they going to charge for the Y and B pipe install?

Jack
I am actually the firt Maxima they have worked on and they actually said that they would work with us on group deals on. They are going to charge me shop time which is very high. I think it's around $80 to $90 an hour. I figured it wouldn't take more than 1.5 hours to put them on and test to make sure there is no banging going on. I'm trying to basically set up a relationship with them because I've seen so many sketchy people in other shops. They are always very nice and listen to concerns. When I informed them that there has been a problem with the Y pipes and clanking, they asked me to provide them with as much info as possible and they would put it up on the rack so that I can point the trouble spots out.

With this in mind, if anyone can point some areas of trouble that may possibly come about, I would be very appreciative. I'm having my car dynoed tomorrow at Springfield Motorsport. Is that a good place?