5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

OK... what can replace this Bose crap??

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2003, 08:33 PM
Sold 2 99Silvermist SE :)

OK... what can replace this Bose crap??

ok...
im sick of the left side speakers goin in and out

if i get a new headunit...
will it run the speakers?

info on changing this will help me alot ....thanks!
Old 03-23-2003, 11:59 PM

Re: OK... what can replace this Bose crap??

Originally posted by 2k2PhatMax
ok...

BRO... I have the same problem... I'll **** my dealer because they said me "your speakers are fine" and "maybe you dont know how to use the speakers"... dammit they are soooo stupid...
Old 03-24-2003, 06:13 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 2k2PhatMax
[B]ok...

Assuming the 2k2 and 2k3 Bose system are the same---the Bose amp in the trunk drives all the speakers. Most likely, you have a bad amp that is over heating and shutting down the left channels, or you have a speaker that is shorting and shutting it down (I used to be an installer.) Changing the head unit will probably not do anything for you. (It is possible that it is the head unit, though it would be uncommon since it's just a source unit.)

The cheaper solution is what I did: replace the front speakers and rear sub with new speakers and amp! Kept factory ID 6 Disc and steering wheel controls, much better sound and volume.

Good luck!
Old 03-24-2003, 07:05 AM

i know that the problem is with the head unit b/c i can hit it a couple times and the left speakers come back on!!

i want to know if an aftermarket HEAD UNIT WILL POWER THE BOSE SPEAKERS?
or will it work with the bose amp
Old 03-24-2003, 07:36 AM

i know that the problem is with the head unit b/c i can hit it a couple times and the left speakers come back on!!

It will require integration. The Bose amp uses 5+ volt input. It will require an adapter of some sort. You will most likely lose your steering wheel controls if you change. I would suggest you try to get the factory unit warrantied if you haven't already. Aftermarket radio will look like crap in that car, and unless you want to spend a grand on something sweet (DVD), then you probably won't like the outcome. A custom kit can be built, but it will cost ya.
Old 03-24-2003, 07:42 AM

Originally posted by t56gen3

It will require integration. The Bose amp uses 5+ volt input. It will require an adapter of some sort. You will most likely lose your steering wheel controls if you change. I would suggest you try to get the factory unit warrantied if you haven't already. Aftermarket radio will look like crap in that car, and unless you want to spend a grand on something sweet (DVD), then you probably won't like the outcome. A custom kit can be built, but it will cost ya.
i have a 7 ich DVD system on the way... and there is something you can buy to keep controls on the wheel...
i wish i had the search fuinction i could show you..

so adapter for 5 volts?
anything else?
Old 03-24-2003, 07:49 AM

My reommendation is that if you want to replace the factory headunit, purchase the ROEM-NIS2 kit made by PAC. You can get it for around 59.95 shipped from www.affsave.com. It should be plug and play at that point.
Old 03-24-2003, 08:03 AM

i have a 7 ich DVD system on the way... and there is something you can buy to keep controls on the wheel...
i wish i had the search fuinction i could show you..

so adapter for 5 volts?
anything else?
Bose adapter of some sort that converts the pre amp signal to Bose standards, steering wheel control adapter (if someone makes it), mount kit for the radio itself, probably an antenna adapter, and a Maxima wiring harness for power and ground to the radio outta do it. Might consult your local stereo shop for the necessary components.

I can find out for sure for you if you wish what all you will need in a little while when my friend's stereo shop opens--let me know if you need it.

Have fun with the DVD! That will be a fun toy.
Old 03-24-2003, 08:18 AM

ok...

www.crutchfield.com has info on how to take apart all the audio equiptment in your Maxima. But don't ask me how to order it.
Old 03-24-2003, 11:24 AM

ok...
If this only happens while on the CD player, then it's a known issue. Take the unit to the dealer and have them call NNA. NNA will give them a number to Clarion (who makes the HU). Have the dealer make sure that the replacement radio they order was manufactured in December 2002 or later. Any 2002-2003 HU manufactured before those dates have this same problem.

The problem is in a cable that is inside the HU. The cable carries the signal from the shock-mounted CD laser assembly to the circuit board where the pre-amps are located. The cable design was defective. Clarion is replacing the defective cables with new ones, and placing a new sticker on the repaired units. Again, make sure the dealer checks for the manufacturing date (or the repaired sticker).

As for replacing the HU, you can replace it with an aftermarket one, while keeping the Bose amp/speakers, but you'll need a few parts. PAC's ROEM-NIS2 kit and the SWI-X kit. Read the Audio forum's FAQ for links to threads on how to replace the Bose HU. I would get a corrected unit BEFORE replacing it. I replaced my HU even AFTER I got a corrected unit (and no, my HU is NOT for sale). I still have the stock Bose amp/speakers, with no problems.