5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Ignition Coil Problem Finally Fixed! For Free!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2003, 05:09 PM

Ignition Coil Problem Finally Fixed! For Free!

I had some GREAT NEWS from Jerry Rome Nissan today. Ok, here is goes. I have been hunting down the problem of my pinging for a long time now. I called another dealer and they said pinging has absolutly nothing to do with it.

So i left it at that, kind of forgot about it. Until I found the actual TSB. But when i found it, my car was 6000 miles out of warranty. Called up Nissan Headquaters in texas and they said since i brought it to the dealer before and asked about it, they would help with the cost of the coils. They said to make an appt. to get the problem diagnosed. Which my appt. was today

I call the dealer, and they tell me "Mr. O'Neil, your coils have been replace under warranty." I was like OMG, i almost hit the roof in excitment. Because i guess my car is a CA emission car, so i have a 50,000 mile/3 year warranty on emission stuff. Turns out, my car went out of the three year warranty 2 days after i called NIssan headquaters...if i was two days later in calling...this project would of cost me upwards of 500$! Well...Im pretty excited. YEAH JERRY ROME!

P.S CAR FEELS FASTER THAN EVER! NO MORE PINGING!
Old 03-25-2003, 05:16 PM

Re: Ignition Coil Problem Finally Fixed! For Free!

Originally posted by Titleistprov21
I had some GREAT NEWS from Jerry Rome Nissan today. Ok, here is goes. I have been hunting down the problem of my pinging for a long time now. I called another dealer and they said pinging has absolutly nothing to do with it.

So i left it at that, kind of forgot about it. Until I found the actual TSB. But when i found it, my car was 6000 miles out of warranty. Called up Nissan Headquaters in texas and they said since i brought it to the dealer before and asked about it, they would help with the cost of the coils. They said to make an appt. to get the problem diagnosed. Which my appt. was today

I call the dealer, and they tell me "Mr. O'Neil, your coils have been replace under warranty." I was like OMG, i almost hit the roof in excitment. Because i guess my car is a CA emission car, so i have a 50,000 mile/3 year warranty on emission stuff. Turns out, my car went out of the three year warranty 2 days after i called NIssan headquaters...if i was two days later in calling...this project would of cost me upwards of 500$! Well...Im pretty excited. YEAH

JERRY ROME!
Hi..few questions.. i have 35k with SES lights and i need to change the ignition coils as well....So I should get replace under warranty too????
Old 03-25-2003, 06:05 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Ignition Coil Problem Finally Fixed! For Free!

Originally posted by Titleistprov21

I call the dealer, and they tell me "Mr. O'Neil, your coils have been replace under warranty." I was like OMG, i almost hit the roof in excitment. Because i guess my car is a CA emission car, so i have a 50,000 mile/3 year warranty on emission stuff. Turns out, my car went out of the three year warranty 2 days after i called NIssan headquaters...if i was two days later in calling...this project would of cost me upwards of 500$! Well...Im pretty excited. YEAH JERRY ROME!

damn you pat.....why do i always get screwed on everything??? They told me i was out of warranty and with no SES i was outta luck........ and ive got 25k on my car! and just missed my 3 year.....

-Steve
Old 03-25-2003, 06:14 PM

The only way my coils were still under warranty was becasue they said my car was "California emissions car" Whatever that means. I dunno if all max's were CA emission car or what? anyone have any info on this?
Old 03-25-2003, 06:23 PM
Got Bent?

all 2k1 are cali spec emissions.... some 2k are and some are not.
Old 03-25-2003, 06:31 PM

hey pat... dont ever blame your pinging on my intake again :-)

- M

Old 03-25-2003, 07:58 PM

Re: Re: Ignition Coil Problem Finally Fixed! For Free!

Originally posted by choiy

Hi..few questions.. i have 35k with SES lights and i need to change the ignition coils as well....So I should get replace under warranty too????

RUN, don't walk, to the dealer, with the TSB. Your 36K warranty should get those problem coils fixed for nothing.
Old 03-25-2003, 11:08 PM

Re: Re: Re: Ignition Coil Problem Finally Fixed! For Free!

Originally posted by MoCoMax

RUN, don't walk, to the dealer, with the TSB. Your 36K warranty should get those problem coils fixed for nothing.
I have a 2k2 and i just had my #6 coil pack replaced. Since you guys seem to know a little more than me, when my SES light went off, there was a lot of rattling noise coming from the engine. What were these noises? And Should I worry about my other coils going out? thanks for any information you can provide.