5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Bose? Is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2003, 05:20 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Bose? Is it worth it?

Hey gang, I've got my eye on a 03' SE Max and I'm curious if the "Titanium" package is worth the 2,000$ extra. From what I can determine, beside the brushed aluminum door sills inside the door, you get a Bose sound system (how many watts of power is it?). I've owned a 94' SE max with Bose and was somewhat impressed with the sound but listening to the system in the '03 Max I was not that impressed. Sound seemed "muddy". I find it hard to cough up that kind of money just for the stereo. What do you 03' Max owners think of the Bose sound? To me, Bose sounded good a few years back but of late it appears they are skimping on sound quality in favor of profitibility. Would I be better off getting the stock sound system and upgrading the speakers etc.?
Just curious what you all think,
Thanks
Old 03-31-2003, 05:25 AM

Re: Bose? Is it worth it?

Originally posted by Cvol
Hey gang, I've got my eye on a 03' SE Max and I'm curious if the "Titanium" package is worth the 2,000$ extra. From what I can determine, beside the brushed aluminum door sills inside the door, you get a Bose sound system (how many watts of power is it?). I've owned a 94' SE max with Bose and was somewhat impressed with the sound but listening to the system in the '03 Max I was not that impressed. Sound seemed "muddy". I find it hard to cough up that kind of money just for the stereo. What do you 03' Max owners think of the Bose sound? To me, Bose sounded good a few years back but of late it appears they are skimping on sound quality in favor of profitibility. Would I be better off getting the stock sound system and upgrading the speakers etc.?
Just curious what you all think,
Thanks
the headunit is actually made by clarion. i coughed up the dough for the bose system on my 2k2 GLE, and i'm rather disappointed. With the Titanium package, you also get "smoked chrome" look wheels, a compass in mirror, and certain other little amenities. if you can pass up the titanium package (the major thing is the wheels), i would put the money you save on the bose into a good aftermarket system. just my opinion though.

that being said, the bose is better than most standard stock systems, but like i said, disappointing for an upgraded stock system. i *believe* the power output is 200 watts, but someone correct me if i'm wrong.
Old 03-31-2003, 05:26 AM
swallac2

If you can, skip the Bose. It was the worst $800 I have spent. The problem is that the Bose is a required option if you get some of the other options like leather (I think).

Old 03-31-2003, 05:34 AM
NT2SHBBY

to me it was worth it for a couple reasons:

1) its better than stock
2) for the $$$, the package AS A WHOLE is worth it
3) The bose system in NYC works well as an anti-theft feature because criminals rarely steal stock systems, even bose. It sounds decent enough and won't require that my car be broken into for a customized system.

so for me, its well worth it

Old 03-31-2003, 05:49 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

bose sucks....i just blew out my ****ing rear speaker...and it the bass was not even loud...i am ****sssssssssssssssssed...
does anyone know what i can put in there to replace it?
Old 03-31-2003, 05:52 AM

If you can avoid it....

..stay away from the Bose. I had to get it because of the TE package. I'm happy with the other parts of the package (esp. the wheels - real difference when next to a max that does not have them) but the Bose is a big POS. I ripped out every piece (but the wires) and put in an aftermarket system.
Old 03-31-2003, 08:29 AM

wow. that at least partly justifies the BOSE!

Originally posted by NT2SHBBY
to me it was worth it for a couple reasons:

1) its better than stock
2) for the $$$, the package AS A WHOLE is worth it
3) The bose system in NYC works well as an anti-theft feature because criminals rarely steal stock systems, even bose. It sounds decent enough and won't require that my car be broken into for a customized system.

so for me, its well worth it
Old 03-31-2003, 06:00 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Don't get the BOSE. Put the money towards a lot better set of speakers or another option on the car.
Old 03-31-2003, 06:21 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I like the sound from the Bose. Everyone I know loves the sound too. The subwoofer isnt weak either.
Old 03-31-2003, 06:50 PM

Yes the Bose isnot worth it at all to me skip it, and yes it was great from 89-99! When they added that subwoofer in 2000 the sound went downhill to me!
Old 03-31-2003, 07:11 PM

I feel the same way these guys do! I use to do my own car systems in my previous cars, so when the bose was an option when I bought the max I thought I would be alset in doing a system. Man was I wrong......for my taste anyways!
Old 03-31-2003, 07:20 PM

The Bose system is a terrible waste of money.. The titanium package isn't really all that either -- you can get an interior dash kit for like $200 if that is all you want..

Personally I'd put the money into a decent head unit and some good speakers, rather than the bose kit..

My bose amp and sub are coming out ASAP, but I might keep the head unit.. It's pretty damn good in sound quality, but really uncool, feature-wise - I would rather have an MP3 player..

Kevin
Old 04-01-2003, 09:56 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Well, you guys made my mind up. Ditch the Bose. Now, is the stock unit (non-Bose) worth keeping? I assume that upgrading speakers in the stock unit would be easier/less expensive given that Bose speakers are a different ohm rating than your typical speaker (2 vs. 4). Would I be better off keeping the stock head unit and add an amp?
On a side note, I owned a 91 GLE Max with a Bose unit. The car was given to my daughter as her first vechicle. It took her all of 1 month to blow the left side door speaker and a couple months after that the left rear speaker. I brought the car to a local car audio store and after explaining the problems, the guy looked at me like I was nuts for wanting to replace the speakers. Why? because he claimed that the cost to replace 1 speaker would be about the cost of an intire new system. (600-800$). I couldn't believe how expensive Bose replacement speakers are. The guy said that it was in part due to the speakers having there own individul amps?
So, the car was sold to my father-in-law and now only static and buzzing can be heard from the radio. Any suggestions for speaker upgrades? Manufacturers and sizes appreciated!
Thanks for the responces....
Old 04-01-2003, 09:58 AM

i really see nothing wrong with the bose.....
in my last car i upgraded my stock speakers to pioneers 3 ways in the rear and kenwood 2 ways in the front..top of the line..sure it sounded great, but when i got in my maxima and heard the bose it sounded great, i dont think its bad at all, it gives a nice clear sound with the little extra bass kick via the sub in the back, and if you want the extra bass just add an infinity bass link or a different sub...but this is just my opinion, the bose is good for me
Old 04-01-2003, 12:15 PM

Well I wanted charcoal leather, so I had to get the bose. However if you don't care for leather than I say skip the bose because mine has been a real pain in the **** since I got the car.

Sometimes it won't play CDs when it is cold. CDs skip when ever I drive the car over 60mph on a windy day, plus if it's cold out it will skip for about 10-15minutes... I took the car to the dealer and they agreed the bose head unit was defective. The head unit has been on back order for over 6 months, and they called me last week to let me know it finally came in. I went to the dealer to get the bad head unit replaced and low and behold... they ordered the wrong headunit so I have to wait some more

Others have had problems with their Bose head units as well so it's not isolated. However fully loaded Maximas are going for 23-25K so if the head ache is worth it you can get a good deal.
Old 04-01-2003, 12:19 PM

The BOSE is not that bad. I used to have Alpine's in the doors when I had an Accord. This is my first BOSE system and I'm actually impressed. Good high's and mid's, plus it's loud. The downfall however, is the sub. I recommend going with an Infinity Basslink and taking out the BOSE sub and using the hole for a port. Just my .02.
Old 04-01-2003, 12:21 PM

Originally posted by jmh8
The BOSE is not that bad. I used to have Alpine's in the doors when I had an Accord. This is my first BOSE system and I'm actually impressed. Good high's and mid's, plus it's loud. The downfall however, is the sub. I recommend going with an Infinity Basslink and taking out the BOSE sub and using the hole for a port. Just my .02.
Old 04-02-2003, 07:06 AM

Skip the BOSE!!

I have a 2K2 and did not want the BOSE unit so I had to skip the leather also. For the cost though, I think it was a great Savings.

I added:
Kenwood Excelon
Kenwood EQ (Full DIN)
Kenwood AMP with 10' Sub
Infiniti 652i's All around
Scoch Kit (Matches nicely)
Chrome Maxima Door Sills (Same a TI Package)

Total: $938.00

System is amazing... I did not notice that much of a difference with the Stock and BOSE, but the new system is sweet.
Old 04-02-2003, 10:18 AM
1 of few unmodded 4G Maxs

boy I thought it was only 4th gen. ppl that didn't like bose, shocked to see the 5th gens taking a dislike to it too