5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2k2 Bose Sucks!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2003, 01:30 PM

2k2 Bose Sucks!

Has anyone had problems with their 6cd changer BOSE? This is my 2nd to crap out on me! CD ERR F3, then it doesnt work, I tried cleaning it and still nothing, the CD just loads and then waits for the next CD it doesnt even play!

I hate this crap!
Old 04-05-2003, 01:34 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: 2k2 Bose Sucks!

Originally posted by 02MaximaSE
Has anyone had problems with their 6cd changer BOSE? This is my 2nd to crap out on me! CD ERR F3, then it doesnt work, I tried cleaning it and still nothing, the CD just loads and then waits for the next CD it doesnt even play!

I hate this crap!

Mine is working just fine. Are you using CD-Rs? Try some audio CDs that you buy from stores.

~limsandy
Old 04-05-2003, 04:57 PM

I use a mixture of CD-Rs and regular CD's and no problems yet. *knocks on wood*
Old 04-05-2003, 05:01 PM
Banned

I mentioned this in some other thread regarding the BOSE, but the thread just disappeared.

Anyways, when I was picking up my Max, the dealer told me to make sure I take out the CDs from the system when I leave the car off for a long time (i.e. overnight). He said this will prevent the laser heads from getting dirty (or something to that effect). I've been doing this religiously, and no problems yet (almost 5 months of ownership) *knock on wood*.

Anyone else do the same thing, or heard of it?
Old 04-05-2003, 05:13 PM

I sprayed compressed air (for computers) into the player, it works now, I've had it for about 8 months and clean it every month, and it crapped out the first time, and had to be replaced; Now about 8 months later it did the same thing, so I figured dust may have gotten in, so I sprayed half a can of compressed air, it works fine now
Old 04-06-2003, 10:38 AM
ABS

Originally posted by vito1281
I mentioned this in some other thread regarding the BOSE, but the thread just disappeared.

Anyways, when I was picking up my Max, the dealer told me to make sure I take out the CDs from the system when I leave the car off for a long time (i.e. overnight). He said this will prevent the laser heads from getting dirty (or something to that effect). I've been doing this religiously, and no problems yet (almost 5 months of ownership) *knock on wood*.

This is ridiculous. CD player laser lenses do not get "dirty" from havine CD's in the changer. Remember, the HU is made by Clarion. Could you imagine Clarion telling every consumer of their CD changers that they have to pull out all of their CD's each day? This is simply ludicrous. If your HU is not working correctly, bring to the dealer and have it replaced.

As a side note, there is a known issue which impacted many 2K2 vehicles with Bose installed where on of the channels intermittently cut out or distorted while playing CD's. There is also a TSB on this issue.
Old 04-06-2003, 02:33 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

BOSE Head Unit Failure(s)

I am on my 3rd Head Unit 2K2 Bose.
Has NOTHING to do with the cleaning or removing the cd's, etc. The dealer ordered two replacements in a row and both came up with that same error message. My car is 13 months old, 19K miles. Ah well! There is a thread somewhere else that lists exactly what the problem is and what the fix is. Too bad the dealers don't listen to our suggestions, ideas, posts and TSB's! I am also fighting with them STILL on rear wind noise and driver's side view mirror vibration. NISSAN's stance is that those two issues are within spec. Yeah RIGHT! They also told me that it was more dangerous taking my eyes off the road to watch the mirror vibrate than to have a virbating mirror.
This is my 4th MAXIMA, and probably my LAST. If anyone has any tips for dealing with these inept service personnel, please pass them along. Thanks for listening and letting me vent.
Old 04-06-2003, 02:49 PM

yo, i got a question for those who have had the problem with the bose or actually anyone who knows more about circuitry than me...so i had the cutout problem where the left set of speakers would cut out intermittenly. anyways, i got the HU replaced and th problem is fixed, but now my right speakers are slightly blown and are crackly at higher volume levels. is it possible that the current in the right channel would be too high for the speakers to handle when the left channel cut out? if so, do you guys think nissan would cover this?
Old 04-06-2003, 02:57 PM
ABS

Tips for dealing with inept service personnel: find another dealer and/or call Nissan NA to complain.

If your car is still under warranty, Nissan should repair the crackling in the right channel regardless of whether it is a driver, amp or head unit issue.
Old 04-06-2003, 03:11 PM

Tip for the Bose radio. Yank it out and put an aftermarket system in. I went through 2 before sinking the money for a new system and it was worth every penny.
Old 04-06-2003, 04:02 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

BOSE, Nissan NA, Service Personnel.....`

On my THIRD Nissan dealer.
Already wrote to Nissan NA 2x.
Already filed lemon law claim, FL.
Been through the BBB Auto Line program for a Hearing (Nissan didn't show up) - did their part by phone, Their stance was that I have a "Satisfaction Issue" with Nissan and my Maxima and they stated that I am expecting more from Nissan than is possible, blah, blah, blah. Can you believe that? After 4 Maximas?
Anyway, there was a mediator there who drove the car and observed ALL the problems. Waiting for a decision from him now!
Old 04-06-2003, 05:02 PM

Originally posted by Virus
Tip for the Bose radio. Yank it out and put an aftermarket system in. I went through 2 before sinking the money for a new system and it was worth every penny.

Bose sucks, get rid of it. But I do understand your furstration. Imagine being forced to pay about $1,000 for a system you don't want and then they complain about fixing it! It's things like this that make me think that my first Maxima will be my last.
Old 04-07-2003, 06:35 AM

Originally posted by vito1281

Yes, this is absolutely ludicrous! Dealers will tell you just about anything.
Old 04-07-2003, 07:54 AM

I have been waiting for my replacement head unit since November of 2002. The service dept called me a month ago and said my new head unit was in. In the middle of the install they realized they ordered a stock head unit so I have to wait some more. I love my Maxima but Nissan service is the worse. Nissan's service is amung the worse in the industry according to studies done. You would think they would try and fix their ranking.

I couldn't imagine pay 30K+ for a 2004 Maxima if I had to deal with Nissan service.
Old 04-07-2003, 08:00 AM

No kiddin. Not braggin but the BOSE stereo in the 2000 (don't know abou the 2001) has so much more bass and better sound than compared to my cousins 2003. She want to change her stereo to Alpine anyway.
Old 04-07-2003, 08:38 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

BOSE Sucks

I don't want to replace the unit as this is a LEASED vehicle.
I want NISSAN to FIX it! You are right about spending 30K and getting the same level of crappy service. Corporates attitude, I think now, is that "go somewhere else" (because we have plenty of customers) is acceptable to them. BUT NOT TO ME! I work for Apple Computer and we go out-of-our-way to see that the customer is satisfied with what we do for them and answereing all their questions. And this is a lower ticket item than 25K to 30K. I general I guess NISSAN just BITES. I love my car, don't get me wrong. It's fast, has a great engine and my paint is actually beautiful (Merlot). But when you try to get legitimate service - GOOD LUCK!
Old 04-08-2003, 08:30 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2003 Base vs. BOSE system

I have a question regarding the differences between the "base" system and BOSE system. My friend is thinking about upgrading from a 99 Max to leasing a 2003 Max, and he really wants to get the BOSE system, especially since he has it in his current Max and thinks the base system is a downgrade. From most of the previous posts, I am wondering if the new BOSE system is more problems than it is worth ( extra $1700, because of needing to get sunroof to get titanium package). The BOSE in the 99 has very strong bass qualities, and wondering if the 03 system is actually worse than the 99 system. Has anyone had experience with both the standard CD stereo and the BOSE, and could compare the difference between the 2, and give their opinion if it is worth the extra $$ to get the BOSE. Thanks