5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Trunk lid takes paint off bumper rim

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2000, 07:40 AM
massmax

Anyone else notice the 2k trunk lid scraping the paint off of the rim above the rear bumper? I brought it up with the dealer and they said it was "normal." I don't like the idea of my 5 month old car losing paint. Anyone spoken with Nissan about this/seen the same problem?

Old 09-13-2000, 07:53 AM

tell em'

of course it's normal, to abnormal ppl..
Old 09-13-2000, 08:51 AM

Yeah I saw that too, when I picked up my car.

Just another reason, out of, lets like 20 or more problems with the car.
THAT I WILL NEVER BUY FREAKING NISSAN AGAIN.

he he.
and my strut is not fixed yet.
I f hate Nissan.
Old 09-13-2000, 09:48 AM

yep..mine too

open the trunk and feel along the bottom edge.....I bet you can feel a little bump right where your scratch lines up...

Nissan has a great engine going for them....ummm...I'll have to think of something else now
Old 09-13-2000, 09:49 AM

Re: Yeah I saw that too, when I picked up my car.

Wow! Sounds like you got a lemon. Make sure you document everything. Sounds like you might be able to pursue the lemon law. Doesn't MA have favorable lemon laws?

Originally posted by Dany
Just another reason, out of, lets like 20 or more problems with the car.
THAT I WILL NEVER BUY FREAKING NISSAN AGAIN.

he he.
and my strut is not fixed yet.
I f hate Nissan.
[Edited by Paul2kGXE on 09-13-2000 at 11:52 AM]
Old 09-13-2000, 09:52 AM
dvyuan

It is not normal at all. I guess I'm just lucky! My car has been pretty much problem free for me. On a brand new car, nothing should run on anything!!! If you are having problems with one nissan dealer you should go to another one. Nissan has a good car out, but it doesn't mean they have good mechanics working for them!

Old 09-13-2000, 10:09 AM

Re: Re: Yeah I saw that too, when I picked up my car.

Yeah, but as reading around here, I am not the only one having those problems.
Rattles, Damaged strut mount, which is being fixed for about three months now. ;(
And just the overall quality build. Scraping trunk, etc, etc........ Too many to name.

To qualify for Lemon you need to go through some much $hit.

I don't want to spend my time on this. When I bought this car I never thought of having some much hassell with it.
Car just doesn't live up to the price and reviews that it was getting.

Anyways. I hope to sell it maybe in a year or so. And buy something that won't require to be in the service for so many times, especially when it is 2 months old.

Thanks you all.

[Edited by Dany on 09-13-2000 at 12:12 PM]
Old 12-03-2000, 05:33 PM

Please see my thread on Nov 28. I walk around parking lots, and when I see the blemish on the bumper of a 2000, I can almost know the serial number. Some of the marks look gross, especially on a white car
Martin
Old 12-03-2000, 06:39 PM

This is NOT normal... I think I saw a Service Advisory on this somewhere, and I even remember somebody here saying that they got it fixed at a Nissan Dealer.. (something with spacers, er somthing..)

My car doesn't do it, so I never pursued the issue with the dealer...

Old 12-03-2000, 08:01 PM

what does the trunk lid trim look like?

i got a GXE and was wondering what the trunk lid trim is? anyone got a good pic of the trim?
Old 12-03-2000, 08:19 PM

Technical Service Bulletin for this

There has been lots of discussion about this about a month ago. There is a Nissan TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) for this (it is not normal). I took it to my Nissan dealership and they knew about it already. They ordered the clips (the solution is to install these trunk clips to prevent the trunk lid from scrapping against the rim of the bumper) and now my trunk is perfect. Mine only had a little scrapping (almost none), but all 2000 Maximas have this problem (it's just how long before the scrapping becomes noticeable). I noticed 2 Maximas at work that has these scratches. One Maxima put some rubber/foam inserts so that it doesn't scratch, but it don't look so good. Another had rust in the center that you can see with the trunk closed. Anyway, if it helps, the part # of the trunk clips is:

85284-AD501 CLIP

Note that this part # is for Canada. The part # for the US may be different. You can also find a description of the problem on the NHSTA web site (or look way back in this forum). Hope this helps.

Originally posted by massmax
Anyone else notice the 2k trunk lid scraping the paint off of the rim above the rear bumper? I brought it up with the dealer and they said it was "normal." I don't like the idea of my 5 month old car losing paint. Anyone spoken with Nissan about this/seen the same problem?
Old 12-03-2000, 08:33 PM

I am bringing my Maxima in on Monday to have the TSB done with new clips. The part number for US is "85284AD000".

Old 12-04-2000, 06:45 AM

trunk rub

Is this for 2001's also?

Where are the TSBs located?

tnx!
Old 12-04-2000, 09:14 AM

Mine was in Saturday for brakes (warped rotors) and the trunk deal. They adjusted the trunk but couldn't repro the braking issue. I took them on a test drive and showed it to them but it was then too late in the day.

It's back in the shop today getting the paint from the trunk deal fixed and the rotors turned I guess and I'm having them check the TCM. I'm worried about that since when I mentioned it the guy said "that's normal operation mine does it too." I then said "I think there's a TSB on it, something about replacing the TCM." Lets see if maybe I can get it done this time around with a new dealer.

Went a little O/T there, sorry
Old 12-04-2000, 10:36 AM

Punkdork

You had the new clips installed on your Max? I have the parts on b/o and have been a little worried about having it done. As I understand it, it is a pretty big job as they have to take the whole bumper trim off including the tailights etc, install the new clips and re-assemble everything (remember, we are talking about techs here reading instructions out of a manual, probably doing it for the first time) Not my idea of a confidence builder considering they cannot even hear a rattle

Tell me how the fit and finish look on your re-assembled bumper.....does it look flush with no gaps or any other defects? Some folks have said that they now have like a 1/4 inch gap between the fender and bumper trim now.....to me that would absolutely kill the resale value of the car as it would probably look like it was in an accident.

When was your car built? If your part # of the TCM is 3Y100(tech can determine this with his Consultant II) it is the old TCM. MY car was a 4/00 build and I needed the new TCM due to soft and real mushy shifts betweem 1 and 2 which would deem to hang sometimes. Don't pin your hopes on them being able to reproduce the problem. They won't be able to.
Just be firm and polite and let them know it is happening to you and you would like it done! Of course this all depends on when your car was built.

themax...no the tsb only pertains to 2000's

http://www.nhtsa.com
Old 12-04-2000, 10:45 AM

jnm2kse

They didn't actually put new clips in. They said they just adjusted the trunk. Who knows. If the scratch comes back after they detail it, I'll take it back and have them do it again.

As far as the TCM, my Max was made in 11/99 so yeah, it should qualify. I hope since I actually mentioned the TSB (though I didn't say I found it on the net) that they'll look it up and just fix the bugger. I'll update you guys tonight after I pick the car up.
Old 12-04-2000, 11:49 AM

update

The dealer just called. They're ordering clips for my bumper (must be the difference between weekend and weekday service). They are also ordering shims.. pads.. and who knows what else for the brakes. The TCM they say they ran diagnostics and didn't find it as faulty. He did say he checked the TSB. 2 out of three isn't bad. jnm2kse, I'll update you after they install the new clips.
Old 12-04-2000, 01:06 PM

Re: update

Originally posted by punkdork
The TCM they say they ran diagnostics and didn't find it as faulty. He did say he checked the TSB. 2 out of three isn't bad. jnm2kse, I'll update you after they install the new clips.

Ran diagnostics on it and found nothing wrong = we think you are an idiot and have no idea on this crap about diagnostics and the TCM issue.

Ran diagnostics??? I'd like to see how they determine if a tranny slips by running diagnostics on it.

My dealer kept saying "we will not replace that TCM unless we can duplicate the problem" Well after it was all said and done the TCM was replaced without them duplicating any slippage. Just have to be persistent but polite and let them know(without actually saying)that YOU do know what you are talking about and have done your homework. Of course you ultimately have the final say and really depends if your tranny does make you unhappy enough to pursue it...in my case it did.

Oh and in case you didnt realize..I'm not calling you names, I'm just summarizing basically what the dealer is telling you Believe me, I'm talking from experience...

Clips were b/o last time I checked but maybe being on the left coast means they may be in sooner for you.

What was the matter with your brakes?(You may have stated before...sorry if I missed it...fighting a tremendous cold
Old 12-04-2000, 01:23 PM

Yeah I know yer not calling me an idiot. They claimed to have run diagnostics on the TCM. I'll see how much I notice it. I notice more just the sloppiness of the slush box rather than the actual slippage. Maybe I should get the VB done.

Anyway, the brakes, I have the common warped rotors going on. They said they were ordering pads and shims. So hey.. new brakes after putting nearly 10k on mine. I like.
Old 12-04-2000, 01:33 PM

Re: Punkdork

jnm2kse is right. I had the bumper clips put on, and watched in horror as the bumper and tail-lights were taken off. The meeting of the fender and the bumper on the driver side is not great. Uneven is how I would describe it. I thought of taking it back to the dealer to reposition the bumper, but I am scared of another huge disassembly. I am going to try and touch up the paint scars myself. The brain dead dealer made it sound like a no risk procedure, as "we have already done one".
Does Nissan or its dealers ever read this web site?
Bought in Sept 1999, I waited for the 17" wheels. and added 6-disc CD player by Clarion/Nissan. And in installing that the dealer damaged the trunk carpet, which they replaced.
Martin
White 2k 5sp leather auto a/c heated seats, 17" wheels, Bose plus 6 disc CD sunroof with deflector.
Still a great car.

QUOTE]Originally posted by jnm2kse
You had the new clips installed on your Max? I have the parts on b/o and have been a little worried about having it done. As I understand it, it is a pretty big job as they have to take the whole bumper trim off including the tailights etc, install the new clips and re-assemble everything (remember, we are talking about techs here reading instructions out of a manual, probably doing it for the first time) Not my idea of a confidence builder considering they cannot even hear a rattle

Tell me how the fit and finish look on your re-assembled bumper.....does it look flush with no gaps or any other defects? Some folks have said that they now have like a 1/4 inch gap between the fender and bumper trim now.....to me that would absolutely kill the resale value of the car as it would probably look like it was in an accident.

When was your car built? If your part # of the TCM is 3Y100(tech can determine this with his Consultant II) it is the old TCM. MY car was a 4/00 build and I needed the new TCM due to soft and real mushy shifts betweem 1 and 2 which would deem to hang sometimes. Don't pin your hopes on them being able to reproduce the problem. They won't be able to.
Just be firm and polite and let them know it is happening to you and you would like it done! Of course this all depends on when your car was built.

themax...no the tsb only pertains to 2000's

http://www.nhtsa.com
[/QUOTE]
Old 12-04-2000, 01:47 PM

2000 Maxima Rear Bumper Scratched By Trunk Lid

The TSB for the rear bumper scratches:
Classification: BT00-014
Reference: NTB00-055
Date: July 7, 2000

Applied Vehicle: 2000 Maxima (A33)

Applied Vin: Vehicles built before:
JN1CA31D1YT766295, JN1CA31A6YT224079,
JN1CA31D5YT555214, JN1CA31A3YT031422

Applied Date: Vehicles built before May 25, 2000

The US Part Number for the clips are: 85284-AD501

The TSB is 4 Pages long with 5 detailed illustrations. Sorry for the wrong P/N from my Sunday post. There is a lot of work involved to performed this TSB. The clips holding the bumper get replaced with smaller ones and as was stated previously the bumper and the tail lights have to be remover to perform this TSB. I was supposed to have this TSB performed today but they ordered the wrong clips. So at least I got a copy of the TSB to look at.
Old 12-04-2000, 01:53 PM

Re: tell em'

Originally posted by mingo
of course it's normal, to abnormal ppl..
Where did you get the smoke headlight covers
Old 12-04-2000, 02:55 PM

Re: 2000 Maxima Rear Bumper Scratched By Trunk Lid

Do you mind scanning (if you have a scanner or digital camera) the trunk lid TSB (all 4 pages) and post it up here? I've already had my trunk clip installed, but I'm curious as to what was involved. My installation went fine and was very quick. No alignment or gap problems. But my bumper did not need a repaint so maybe they didn't have to remove my bumper, tail lights, etc., but I'm just guessing. Thanks.

Originally posted by 2000MaxSE
The TSB for the rear bumper scratches:
Classification: BT00-014
Reference: NTB00-055
Date: July 7, 2000

Applied Vehicle: 2000 Maxima (A33)

Applied Vin: Vehicles built before:
JN1CA31D1YT766295, JN1CA31A6YT224079,
JN1CA31D5YT555214, JN1CA31A3YT031422

Applied Date: Vehicles built before May 25, 2000

The US Part Number for the clips are: 85284-AD501

The TSB is 4 Pages long with 5 detailed illustrations. Sorry for the wrong P/N from my Sunday post. There is a lot of work involved to performed this TSB. The clips holding the bumper get replaced with smaller ones and as was stated previously the bumper and the tail lights have to be remover to perform this TSB. I was supposed to have this TSB performed today but they ordered the wrong clips. So at least I got a copy of the TSB to look at.
Old 12-04-2000, 03:20 PM

2000 Maxima TSB Trunk Lid

I will scan the TSB and post it in the next day or two. If you had your trunk clips replaced then they had to remove your bumper and tail lights from the instructions on the TSB unless they just adjusted the trunk lid a little.

[Edited by 2000MaxSE on 12-04-2000 at 05:33 PM]
Old 12-04-2000, 05:10 PM

5thGEN

Are you sure you had the clips replaced? I have seen the TSB and talking to the SM at my dealer, it does require quite a bit of work. Please let us know..

punkdork....if your rotors are warped, I'm not sure what new pads and shims are going to do....I'd tell them I want new rotors since yours are damaged through no fault of your own. Just do a search for warped rotors here and on Edmunds...sounds like a pretty widespread problem and people have had various results depending on the dealer. I've seen were some folks have had the rotors replaced with no problems and others that have to fight tooth and nail just to get the dealer to even acknowldge that there is a problem..(can anyone say TCM?)

I love the Maximas power and looks..I just wish I had of waited until 2K1 before I bought one so most of the bugs have been worked out.

Old 12-04-2000, 06:15 PM

Re: 5thGEN

I had the clips and TCM installed on the same visit. They took about 2 hours. My bumper lip was getting a little bit (very minor) scratched each day 2 weeks before I had the clips installed. After they installed the clips, my trunk lip hasn't gotten any worse and it's been about 3 weeks now. They showed me the clips they installed too. But I was in a rush so they didn't get a chance to tell me what was involved. I know the time estimated for the TCM is only 20 minutes, so I assume they took about 1.5 hours to do the trunk thing (they shuttled me back home and then back to the shop when the car was ready so I don't really know how long it took them). The tech and manager were very knowledgeable and I had no hassles with them at all. I bought my car from SouthSide Nissan in Vancouver and they're the #1 Nissan dealership in sales and SERVICE (very important to me) in all of Canada. Guess there's truth to that. Now my car's trouble free with the exception of the very poor paint quality. Oh well... gives me an excuse to repaint it metallic blue one day. :-)

Originally posted by jnm2kse
Are you sure you had the clips replaced? I have seen the TSB and talking to the SM at my dealer, it does require quite a bit of work. Please let us know..

punkdork....if your rotors are warped, I'm not sure what new pads and shims are going to do....I'd tell them I want new rotors since yours are damaged through no fault of your own. Just do a search for warped rotors here and on Edmunds...sounds like a pretty widespread problem and people have had various results depending on the dealer. I've seen were some folks have had the rotors replaced with no problems and others that have to fight tooth and nail just to get the dealer to even acknowldge that there is a problem..(can anyone say TCM?)

I love the Maximas power and looks..I just wish I had of waited until 2K1 before I bought one so most of the bugs have been worked out.

Old 12-04-2000, 07:06 PM

jnm2kse

I'm thinking/hoping that they have the rotors in stock but are getting replacement shims and pads due to the excessive wear caused by the warped rotors. Or maybe he just forgot to or didn't mention the rotors since we already acknowledged the problem there. I guess it's wishful thinking, but I'd rather give them a chance to do it right before taking them to the mat. We'll see what happens.
Old 12-04-2000, 07:56 PM

aha

I thought you were saying that they are only giving you new pads...my bad. Make sure they replace your rotors and not just turn them or the problem will resurface(no pun intended ) in a few thousand miles

Good Luck!